The first review of the Canon RF 10-20mm f/4L IS STM is here

Aug 10, 2021
Mechanical gear is far more likely to suffer damage from dropping than electronic gear.
Never had issues with dropped Leica lenses, but the sensitive rangefinder needed readjusting. Easily done if you know how. If you send the body for rangefinder adjusting, chances are high you won't be happy, unless you also send your lens...
But I keep wondering how it can be you so often drop your equipment. :unsure:
I baste my hands with butter

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I've dropped Leica M lenses and bodies about 6 times and needed to send for service 6 times.

I've dropped Canon EF gear about 200 times and needed to send for service 3 times.

I feel the RF stuff is probably stronger than EF, BUT, is easier to mark. As I sold off my EF gear and replaced with RF, I was constantly surprised by how good condition the gear still looked.
RF lenses scratch pretty easily.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of photographers, experienced and otherwise, deciding for themselves. Open minds, live and let live, each accepting compromises as they see fit.
But this not change anything about the useless filters. They don't protect the glases. If the filters broke by an impact of something, do you expect that the front glas will be secure? Fragments of broken glas are very sharp and hard - this ftragments damage the front lense finaly.

I don't wrote that you or others doing wrong using window glas as a protection for the lense. I wrote that this glases are not required. If you handle with care, nothing will happens with the entire gear.
I do photos since 1978 and never damage something of my gear - especialy not the front lenses. It's happened that i touched the frontlense and got a finger print on them. Well, you don't see this on teh pictures. Later at home i had cleaned them. Does'nt matters.
Finaly, you must knwo what you are do or not. I would not extra pays for such useless filters and i don't recomment to use them.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But this not change anything about the useless filters. They don't protect the glases. If the filters broke by an impact of something, do you expect that the front glas will be secure? Fragments of broken glas are very sharp and hard - this ftragments damage the front lense finaly.

I don't wrote that you or others doing wrong using window glas as a protection for the lense. I wrote that this glases are not required. If you handle with care, nothing will happens with the entire gear.
I do photos since 1978 and never damage something of my gear - especialy not the front lenses. It's happened that i touched the frontlense and got a finger print on them. Well, you don't see this on teh pictures. Later at home i had cleaned them. Does'nt matters.
Finaly, you must knwo what you are do or not. I would not extra pays for such useless filters and i don't recomment to use them.
Thanks for sharing your opinion the first time. I’m not sure that repeating your opinion changes anything.

Incidentally, @EricN posted above that he dropped his 85/1.2 and the front filter broke but the lens was otherwise fine except for some scuffs. Seems like that ‘useless’ protection filter did its job, doesn’t it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In every case, you should handle with care if you use expensive gear.
You can leave your expensive gear in a humidity-controlled display case, and it will remain in perfect condition for you to look at. For me, getting the shots I want is the priority. That doesn’t mean I’m careless, but one reason I use primarily L series lenses is so that I can treat them like the tools they are and not like precious artwork to be protected at all costs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
How you compared this? Did you scratched one? In case of the front lense, i cant believe that. In every case, you should handle with care if you use expensive gear.
I have scratched them on the side.
It does not hurt anything but it does affect resale value.
Sigma SLR lenses scratched pretty easily as well.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Ironic that we are reviving a thread dedicated to a LENS THAT CANNOT TAKE A FILTER by continuing to debate the use of filters.

I made a decision to buy the 10-20mm f/4 despite not being able to protect the bulbous front element (makes me tingle to type it!) But I keep an extra Canon lens cap for this particular lens in my car at all time, in case I misplace the original. And I make sure to re-cover the bulbous front element (ooh, la la) the moment I finish with captures. And, beyond frequent dusting with a blower, I am painstakingly careful while occasionally cleaning the lens. I don't like having to be so careful with the coating of this lens, but this is a reasonable compromise I'm willing to live with in order to use such a great, fun lens.

Some people ask, "How can you care so little about ultimate IQ with a lens that costs so much money that you'd put a $75 piece of glass over its exquisitely engineered optics?" I ask, "How can you worry so much about a virtually indetectable IQ difference that you aren't willing to put a protective, $75, precision engineered, multi-coated filter over the delicate front-element?"

I'm not evangelizing, just suggesting we can all make up our own minds about it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
You can leave your expensive gear in a humidity-controlled display case, and it will remain in perfect condition for you to look at. For me, getting the shots I want is the priority. That doesn’t mean I’m careless, but one reason I use primarily L series lenses is so that I can treat them like the tools they are and not like precious artwork to be protected at all costs.
I often hear shocked remarks when mostly aged photographers see my Leica (black-paint) gear. They usually carry theirs in an original leather case, so it doesn't get any nightmarish scratches. And lose precious minutes when "the" occasion appears.
No matter how expensive a camera is, as you said it, it's just a tool.
Period!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I made a decision to buy the 10-20mm f/4 despite not being able to protect the bulbous front element (makes me tingle to type it!) But I keep an extra Canon lens cap for this particular lens in my car at all time, in case I misplace the original.
The lens cap for the bulbous front element of the TS-E 17/4L comes with a lanyard attached to it.

Upvote 0
That's the same i wrote and think about, but with less words.

Upvote 0
I have scratched them on the side.
It does not hurt anything but it does affect resale value.
Sigma SLR lenses scratched pretty easily as well.
Look one comment upper wrote by neuroanatomist. He describe my handling exactly.
It's a tool and if you works with that longer, your tools looks like used tools. I don't buy me a tool as an financial invest or for just a show case. I will work with them and scratchtes on the lens body don't beat the picture quality. Just handle them with care and do your photos.

Upvote 0
I often hear shocked remarks when mostly aged photographers see my Leica (black-paint) gear. They usually carry theirs in an original leather case, so it doesn't get any nightmarish scratches. And lose precious minutes when "the" occasion appears.
No matter how expensive a camera is, as you said it, it's just a tool.
Period!
They love their leica. I like my canons's and take care that nothing will happens. But i will do pictures and in most of the case, i had not covers the lense because i wanna be ready as fast as possible if this is required. My lenses are Sigma Arts, Macros and Canon L's. They are all expensive and do a great job since a couple of years and in combination with several bodies. I had never dropped a lense or body and don't damaged a front lense.
A case around the body is not an option for me. Canon has done a very good job to get the bodies in ergonomic shape. I would not change that.

A Leica is a fine cam and they are very robust. If you can see, that the bodies color will getting lost, you don't need a shutter counter to knwo how many pictures has been made with it ;-)

...you can make a religion out of anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
They love their leica. I like my canons's and take care that nothing will happens. But i will do pictures and in most of the case, i had not covers the lense because i wanna be ready as fast as possible if this is required. My lenses are Sigma Arts, Macros and Canon L's. They are all expensive and do a great job since a couple of years and in combination with several bodies. I had never dropped a lense or body and don't damaged a front lense.
A case around the body is not an option for me. Canon has done a very good job to get the bodies in ergonomic shape. I would not change that.

A Leica is a fine cam and they are very robust. If you can see, that the bodies color will getting lost, you don't need a shutter counter to knwo how many pictures has been made with it ;-)

...you can make a religion out of anything.
You have had very good luck to never drop your equipment!

I've thought about buying an underwater housing because I wash my hands with lubricating oil.

• Haha
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Didn't know this...

By the way, I think you have had your 10-20 for a little while. How do you like it?
Great fun! In this recent shot, I was careful not to bump bulbous front elements, otherwise, I'd have gotten in closer. (Note: I did ask the subject if I may take a photograph, and she said, "I couldn't give a brass farthing.")

Attachments

• BFEs.jpg
    BFEs.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Haha
Upvote 0