Canon RF 10-20mm F4L IS STM Preview/Review Summary

Aug 10, 2021
Yea that 28-70 really is Canon's unicorn lens aye...I had no idea how good it is for just about everything you throw at it when I bought it; got it at a stupidly good price too.

Don't really have much MW shots with it but here's one I took I think over a year ago...

Glasshouse Milky Way by Tony, on Flickr
It's impressive! Do you have any of what you can expect to see with the naked eye in such a place?

Upvote 0
The biggest problem with the sigma 14mm f/1.4 is it has that funny distortion
Dang didn't know that. I only saw some samples showing sharpness and corners besides that didn't look at it too much knowing I can't get it for my R6II anyway lol. I am surprised though as the 14mm f/1.8 I thought did a great job controlling distortion considering how wide it is and having that bulbous front element.

I am very fortunate in that where I live I only have to drive about 1.5 hours and I am under Bortle 2 sky; always feel surreal out under a dark sky like that the amount of stars you see not to mention being able to eyeball the Milky Way (you can see the gaseous body streaking across the sky) is pretty awesome.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Dang didn't know that. I only saw some samples showing sharpness and corners besides that didn't look at it too much knowing I can't get it for my R6II anyway lol. I am surprised though as the 14mm f/1.8 I thought did a great job controlling distortion considering how wide it is and having that bulbous front element.

I am very fortunate in that where I live I only have to drive about 1.5 hours and I am under Bortle 2 sky; always feel surreal out under a dark sky like that the amount of stars you see not to mention being able to eyeball the Milky Way (you can see the gaseous body streaking across the sky) is pretty awesome.
Don't misunderstand, the sigma 14mm f/1.4 is flat after it's been corrected, so it's only a problem if your a weirdo like me. That said, the EF14mm f/2.8 L ii is flatter than the Sigma 14mm f/1.8. I suppose the darker aperture helped, but it's also a bit older than the sigma.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For sure. Canon's UW's IMHO were never really great for astro; I considered the RF 15-35mm f/2.8 when I was looking at getting a RF UW but decided against it due to how bad vignetting was wide open, ended up with the 14-35mm f/4 instead and kept on with the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 adapted.
I am really hoping for an RF mount 14 f/1.4.
I would rather it came from Canon than Sigma but I would not complain either way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I guess that if Canon are implementing an STM AF in an L lens, they sure be knowing what they do. I wouldn't even pay attention to it, focusing a 10-20 is not that critical, apart from close distances. Since I'm using such focal lenghts for landscapes, most often they are set on infinity.
As a photographer, all I care about is the focus fast enough and accurate. I have no idea what type of method is used in any lens I have ever bought. And I have never needed to. Gear heads sure know how to overcomplicate things.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are you planning to purchase the 14mm TS definitely or do you have certain expectations that you feel should be met before you'll decide for sure?
Just expectations I’m sure will be met, e.g., great IQ, similar movements as others (independent tilt, shift and rotation), high cost. I would pre-order it when announced.

Upvote 0
Don't misunderstand, the sigma 14mm f/1.4 is flat after it's been corrected, so it's only a problem if your a weirdo like me. That said, the EF14mm f/2.8 L ii is flatter than the Sigma 14mm f/1.8. I suppose the darker aperture helped, but it's also a bit older than the sigma.
I could be wrong as it's been a while but I am pretty sure when I was looking up reviews the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 had less distortion than the EF 14mm f/2.8 II, IIRC it was Lenstip?

@EOS 4 Life yea me too, I am sure Canon would have one in the works though I wonder if (and how much) the Canon version can improve on the Sigma...and the substantial price tag I am sure it'd attract haha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I could be wrong as it's been a while but I am pretty sure when I was looking up reviews the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 had less distortion than the EF 14mm f/2.8 II, IIRC it was Lenstip?

@EOS 4 Life yea me too, I am sure Canon would have one in the works though I wonder if (and how much) the Canon version can improve on the Sigma...and the substantial price tag I am sure it'd attract haha.
The sigma not far behind in distortion, but just enough. on the plus side, the sigma doesn't have as much character with chromatic aberration. it has been said that you need more than one lens to know if it's copy variation. My copy of the ef lens has similar characteristics after leaving the center.

Upvote 0
The sigma not far behind in distortion, but just enough. on the plus side, the sigma doesn't have as much character with chromatic aberration. it has been said that you need more than one lens to know if it's copy variation. My copy of the ef lens has similar characteristics after leaving the center.

Yea interesting the Canon definitely looks better there.

It was Lenstip where I read that the Sigma was better: https://www.lenstip.com/506.6-Lens_review-Sigma_A_14_mm_f_1.8_DG_HSM_Distortion.html

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Has anyone actually ordered and received this lens. I ordered from B&H several weeks ago and don't expect to see it for several month but would love an ETA estimate even if rough…
I ordered mine from a local dealer and was #2 on the list. On the initial release date the dealer received a single copy of the RF 10-20 mm f4 lens. About five weeks later another copy arrived and I received mine. From what I can tell, it appears to be a very slow release. I wish I could provide you with additional information, but that is all I have.

Sometimes, this site announces when Canon or other dealers have a lens in stock. If you see such a notification, you can order it immediately and then once you receive it you can cancel your order at B&H.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Woohoo! I had preordered this day one on B&H a billion years ago and they just shipped it on February 1. I didn't expect to get this 10-20 lens as the only lens I really wanted was a 35 f1.2. I have the RF 85 1.2, 28-70 2, 100 2.8, 600 11, 800 11, 35 1.8, 24 1.8, and 16 2.8.

The timing couldn't be more perfect because I gave the 16 2.8 to a friend who just got the R50.

I've since started to branch away from B&H though I still love them dearly. They were also out of the Rode Wireless Pro so I was patiently waiting until I saw that Best Buy had them right now so I decided to drive 5 minutes and pick it up immediately. Shows how B&H can give you tunnel vision.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0