The Mirrorless Data is Clear: Canon is #1

I see a surprising number of Z8/Z9 with the 800/6.3 lens but very few Sonys locally in the UK - I recall only one 200-600 and have never seen one of their big whites. The Zuiko 150-600mm has had a very poor review (it's a rebranded Sigma with a huge mark up). The Nikon 600/6.3 looks to me a better bet than the 800 - it seems to be sharper in several tests and is very light as well as being much smaller than the 800/6.3. Canon is by far the most popular with birders here. Haven't come across in person another 200-800 yet but friends have them on order.
Canon remains far the leader (46%, Sony is at 26% and Nikon 12%).

I doubt it will change because Sony doesn't convince the real professional, and Nikon has much lesser cameras.

In the future I see Nikon eating marketshares from Sony because they are acting well since 2 years : Z9, Z8, active support in firmwares. And soon their Z6III which be their first mass volumes camera with their excellent and latest techs (AF, Expeed7...).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon's mistake was not starting with the RF mount. M wouldn't have been discontinued if it never existed. :)
I was interested to see a review of the Megadap ETZ21 Pro allowing Sony E lenses on Nikon despite only 2mm flange difference.

I recall seeing many posts about EF-M to R mount not being possible because of the 2mm flange distance being too small for an adaptor but they may not have been true or that no manufacturer made one. 2 very different ecosystems but would have been an interesting option.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I was interested to see a review of the Megadap ETZ21 Pro allowing Sony E lenses on Nikon despite only 2mm flange difference.

I recall seeing many posts about EF-M to R mount not being possible because of the 2mm flange distance being too small for an adaptor but they may not have been true or that no manufacturer made one. 2 very different ecosystems but would have been an interesting option.
It has been talked about here before.
The flange size is too large.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe the mirrorless data aren't so clear after all.
They are quite clear, and Sony doesn’t actually dispute Canon’s claim (that’s just a petapixel clickbait title). Canon claimed the #1 spot in mirrorless unit sales in the US. Sony is claiming #1 in full frame mirrorless units (and dollars), and the #1 selling full frame mirrorless model.

1707776702996.gif

Sony shifted focus from APS-S to FF mirrorless right when Canon entered the APS-C mirrorless market. That wasn’t a coincidence.

I loved this quote from Sony:
Despite these accomplishments, we made the decision to refrain from publicly broadcasting any of these claims via a press release or any other type of formal announcement,” Sony says, a decision that stands in contrast to Canon’s strategy.

Instead, Sony says it would rather focus on its technology and the photographers it supports.

Sony has routinely done ‘#1 in this or that subsegment’ press releases, for many years. They once did a PR saying they led the FF camera market for a two-month period in one country (South Korea, IIRC).

Anyways, the whole thing is pointless chest-thumping. There are two leading brands with Nikon a solid third. Choice is good.
Agreed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
They are quite clear, and Sony doesn’t actually dispute Canon’s claim (that’s just a petapixel clickbait title). Canon claimed the #1 spot in mirrorless unit sales in the US. Sony is claiming #1 in full frame mirrorless units (and dollars), and the #1 selling full frame mirrorless model.

View attachment 214986

Sony shifted focus from APS-S to FF mirrorless right when Canon entered the APS-C mirrorless market. That wasn’t a coincidence.

I loved this quote from Sony:

Sony has routinely done ‘#1 in this or that subsegment’ press releases, for many years. They once did a PR saying they led the FF camera market for a two-month period in one country (South Korea, IIRC).

Agreed.
While, "#1" sounds good, I'm guessing whatever the numbers are, Sony doesn't publish it because where they are ahead doesn't surpass where they are behind.

As long as whatever company is developing and producing more products, it's good news to me.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0