Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Have you looked at used EF lens prices lately?
Here in the UK used EF lens prices are certainly very strong. I’ve moved into the R system with a RP and R as a small FF camera, I will only keep one, I’m not sure which one yet. However I’ll only be buying EF lenses as I’m still committed to my 5DS cameras. The 40mm pancake on the RP is sweet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 40mm pancake on the RP is sweet.
When going to an event with my 1D X where the 70-200/2.8 was the needed lens, it was useful to have along a normal lens that literally fit in a pocket. If needed, I could swap the 40/2.8 on and leave the 70-200 hanging from my BlackRapid strap.

Unfortunately the EF pancake plus adapter is too big for a pocket (at least for me, I don’t wear cargo pants). It would be great if they come out with an RF pancake lens.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Unfortunately the EF pancake plus adapter is too big for a pocket (at least for me, I don’t wear cargo pants). It would be great if they come out with an RF pancake lens.
Hey @neuroanatomist, I thought you had deep pockets ! ;)
I agree the 40 is really useful being so small but retaining good IQ - apart from the very bad field curvature. The only problem I have with that lens is I keep forgetting where I put it last and losing it….

• Haha
Upvote 0
I read this a year ago before I joined.
Yes, progress is inevitable and of course it ensures products are ‘generally’ better for it. But, and it’s a major BUT for me, I do think it’s easy to lose sight of what or why we came to photography in the first instance - to capture a image.

Now, don’t get me wrong I love kit, my bulging cupboards and depleted bank accounts prove it so. But I must say all this whipped up frenzy and must have latest items…at all costs (or what’s the point??) is leaving me questioning my own personal motives. Do I actually want to take pictures or do I want to play with the latest toys!

I’m not proud to admit my canon branded lens collection is somewhere in the 70 mark, my DSLR collection somewhere in the 20 mark, yet my desire/need to purchase constantly better hasn’t moved me on in my creativity, if anything that area has stagnated (embarrassed to say).
I’m currently in awe of the recent M system, sharper, lighter than my aps-c DSLR’s specifically when paired with the M primes - WOW!!
And I expect the R and RF to be nothing short of mind blowing. But it’s a far cry from from the simplicity it all was once.
I think the bottom line for me is that progress has actually stalled me, my now discontinued EF lenses and discontinued Full Frame DSLR’s are still capable, but wouldn’t this next generation deliver even better….
And so the cycle continues, not moving on, just trying to keep up with progress.

Yes, I miss the ignorance I had in the early days, of not knowing or even caring what else was out there…I was too busy taking pictures to care!

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Yes, progress is inevitable and of course it ensures products are ‘generally’ better for it. But, and it’s a major BUT for me, I do think it’s easy to lose sight of what or why we came to photography in the first instance - to capture a image.

Now, don’t get me wrong I love kit, my bulging cupboards and depleted bank accounts prove it so. But I must say all this whipped up frenzy and must have latest items…at all costs (or what’s the point??) is leaving me questioning my own personal motives. Do I actually want to take pictures or do I want to play with the latest toys!

I’m not proud to admit my canon branded lens collection is somewhere in the 70 mark, my DSLR collection somewhere in the 20 mark, yet my desire/need to purchase constantly better hasn’t moved me on in my creativity, if anything that area has stagnated (embarrassed to say).
I’m currently in awe of the recent M system, sharper, lighter than my aps-c DSLR’s specifically when paired with the M primes - WOW!!
And I expect the R and RF to be nothing short of mind blowing. But it’s a far cry from from the simplicity it all was once.
I think the bottom line for me is that progress has actually stalled me, my now discontinued EF lenses and discontinued Full Frame DSLR’s are still capable, but wouldn’t this next generation deliver even better….
And so the cycle continues, not moving on, just trying to keep up with progress.

Yes, I miss the ignorance I had in the early days, of not knowing or even caring what else was out there…I was too busy taking pictures to care!
EF and EF-M will eventually gone, this is sad but true

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Maybe you should recycle the DSLRs and lenses you rarely use. I sell off my old when I get new so others can enjoy my well looked-after cameras and lenses.

Upvote 0
Like most of you chaps I pamper my gear - too expensive to mistreat…right??
My partner by comparison shots the SL1 has the stm triplets (10-18,18-55, 55,250) she doesn’t give a hoot, no strap, no dedicated bag, one hood she shares between the 2 longer zooms. Hers has been dropped, got soaked, got scratched etc etc
Mine is vastly more expensive, pampered to death, always capped, always cleaned

now, mine are obsolete, discontinued, I’d pampered them because they were expensive items. The new kids on the block R and M are in vogue with the newer generation, they don’t much want the dslr dinosaurs, yes they will still sell.
I suppose I could move up and start over, pay £5k+ and pamper them too or I could just think why bother, just use mine to death and when it dies (given the stubbornness of her SL1) then consider the R, by which time I suspect I won’t care much about anything.
It reminds me of a saying a seasoned fisherman once told me, the expensive coloured fishing tackle is to hook the fisherman not the fish!!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
My partner by comparison shots the SL1 has the stm triplets (10-18,18-55, 55,250) she doesn’t give a hoot, no strap, no dedicated bag, one hood she shares between the 2 longer zooms. Hers has been dropped, got soaked, got scratched etc etc

now, mine are obsolete, discontinued, I’d pampered them because they were expensive items. The new kids on the block R and M are in vogue with the newer generation, they don’t much want the dslr dinosaurs, yes they will still sell.
I suppose I could move up and start over, pay £5k+ and pamper them too or I could just think why bother, just use mine to death and when it dies (given the stubbornness of her SL1) then consider the R, by which time I suspect I won’t care much about anything.
It reminds me of a saying a seasoned fisherman once told me, the expensive coloured fishing tackle is to hook the fisherman not the fish!!
Couple opinions....

First off, it is always good to remind oneself that this is a GEAR forum and most participants are for want of a better phrase, gear-heads. So, in general, they are overly excited about new gear and over-exaggerate the quality and how much better the new gear is. Your older lenses are not obsolete. Those more interested in photography rather than gear would laugh at the thought that an EF lens bought within the last 30 years is obsolete. The biggest difference is that many older lenses do not have IS (image stabilization). If IS is important - and you don't have a camera that has IBIS (in-body image stabilization) - then getting newer lenses with IS may be an important factor.

You will find that there are some photographers (not gear-heads) who in fact prefer the older lenses. While perhaps not quite as sharp, or not quite as good at removing chromatic aberrations, they believe that they create better looking photos. Photographers often refer to many of the newer lenses as being "more clinical" and less good at "rendering." These opinions are debated endlessly on the internet, but, in my opinion, their is no good reason to get rid of or replace Canon's EF lenses. They are not that old and optics has not improved that much (if at all) in the past 20-30 years. I have compared some of the older and newer lenses and if I were to generalize, I would say that the improvements in newer lenses are mainly in shooting wide open and a bit of sharpness improvement in the extreme corners. For many these difference may not matter at all, and may only be noticed when pixel peeping.

Keep in mind that most people on forums are pixel peepers. Yes, if you pixel peep, then you might find that blown up to 100% on your computer screen, a newer lens might appear slightly sharper than an older lens, but if you think about it, you realize that unless you crop significantly, you will never notice this small difference.

I currently do own an R6. Since I bought it, I have purchased used: an EF 80-200mm f/2.8 L (one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned, by the way and made in the 1990's), an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L (mark I), an EF 16-35mm f/4 L, along with two RF lenses. These were all "pro" quailty lenses when they were released and still produce results that are of very high quality today, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I'm genuinely confused by your posts.

Your words say you came to photography to capture an image, but your actions say otherwise.

Do you seriously mean you have 70 Canon lenses and 20 Canon DSLRs, or is that the total of what you acquired over the years and then sold or traded-in as new models came out? If you truly have that many sitting around, then I'd say you might want to look at your priorities and honestly ask yourself if you are a collector or a photographer. Nothing wrong with collecting gear, but just suggesting that maybe it's time for some honest reflection.

I don't pamper my gear. I don't intentionally abuse it, but it gets more than a fair share of abuse just through usage.

Honestly, it sounds like your wife has the right idea. Use the gear to get the pictures. If I were her, I'd be upset if my spouse were sitting on 70 lenses and 20 cameras and I was stuck with an SL1 and three lenses, especially since two are cheap kit lenses. Maybe you need to be more generous with that gear. Which do you love more, the gear or her?

Unless your gear is no longer usable for shooting, I wouldn't call it obsolete. If those 70 Canon lenses are EF or EF-S mount they can all be used on the R system with a simple adapter. They are never going to become obsolete, although they will be replaced by newer RF models that may have features or characteristics that represent improvements.

As for the cameras, no digital camera is a long-term investment. They are electronic devices and like all electronic devices they get replaced by newer models. The question is, do the newer models offer anything you want? If not, then keep using what you have and don't worry about it. If the newer models offer something you want, then sell the old stuff and get the new. No sense crying over spilt milk. Cameras are investments only in the sense that they are investment in either your personal satisfaction or your business. In either case, once they quit serving their purpose, just cut your losses and move on.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you've got a case of Fear of Missing Out. You seem afraid that your old gear is going to be worthless and you think you might be missing out on something by not going mirrorless. But, you can't seem to articulate or justify why you should switch. So, the decision is up to you. Will you be happier shooting with the equipment you already have, or with new equipment?

Here's a suggestion. Sell some of that equipment and use it towards an R5, RF 24-105, RF 100-400 and RF 16 for your wife. Give it all to her at the next holiday and let her enjoy taking pictures with gear that she can appreciate and use. Then, maybe find yourself a new hobby that's more rewarding for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Couple opinions....

First off, it is always good to remind oneself that this is a GEAR forum and most participants are for want of a better phrase, gear-heads. So, in general, they are overly excited about new gear and over-exaggerate the quality and how much better the new gear is. Your older lenses are not obsolete. Those more interested in photography rather than gear would laugh at the thought that an EF lens bought within the last 30 years is obsolete. The biggest difference is that many older lenses do not have IS (image stabilization). If IS is important - and you don't have a camera that has IBIS (in-body image stabilization) - then getting newer lenses with IS may be an important factor.

You will find that there are some photographers (not gear-heads) who in fact prefer the older lenses. While perhaps not quite as sharp, or not quite as good at removing chromatic aberrations, they believe that they create better looking photos. Photographers often refer to many of the newer lenses as being "more clinical" and less good at "rendering." These opinions are debated endlessly on the internet, but, in my opinion, their is no good reason to get rid of or replace Canon's EF lenses. They are not that old and optics has not improved that much (if at all) in the past 20-30 years. I have compared some of the older and newer lenses and if I were to generalize, I would say that the improvements in newer lenses are mainly in shooting wide open and a bit of sharpness improvement in the extreme corners. For many these difference may not matter at all, and may only be noticed when pixel peeping.

Keep in mind that most people on forums are pixel peepers. Yes, if you pixel peep, then you might find that blown up to 100% on your computer screen, a newer lens might appear slightly sharper than an older lens, but if you think about it, you realize that unless you crop significantly, you will never notice this small difference.

I currently do own an R6. Since I bought it, I have purchased used: an EF 80-200mm f/2.8 L (one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned, by the way and made in the 1990's), an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L (mark I), an EF 16-35mm f/4 L, along with two RF lenses. These were all "pro" quailty lenses when they were released and still produce results that are of very high quality today, in my opinion.
You are basically right.
Nevertheless, many old WA lenses which were considered excellent in "film times" can prove disappointing in digital.
So, I had to get rid of 2 lenses I formerly loved: a 1968 Summicron 35mm and a Zuiko 2,8/24mm. They were almost unsusable for landscapes below f11, corners were mushy. But from 50mm upwards, no issues. Of course, it also depends on your style of photography, I could have kept them for street...
On the other hand, I'm still using-quite often- my vintage 50 to 280mm lenses with very good results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm genuinely confused by your posts.

Your words say you came to photography to capture an image, but your actions say otherwise.

Do you seriously mean you have 70 Canon lenses and 20 Canon DSLRs, or is that the total of what you acquired over the years and then sold or traded-in as new models came out? If you truly have that many sitting around, then I'd say you might want to look at your priorities and honestly ask yourself if you are a collector or a photographer. Nothing wrong with collecting gear, but just suggesting that maybe it's time for some honest reflection.

I don't pamper my gear. I don't intentionally abuse it, but it gets more than a fair share of abuse just through usage.

Honestly, it sounds like your wife has the right idea. Use the gear to get the pictures. If I were her, I'd be upset if my spouse were sitting on 70 lenses and 20 cameras and I was stuck with an SL1 and three lenses, especially since two are cheap kit lenses. Maybe you need to be more generous with that gear. Which do you love more, the gear or her?

Unless your gear is no longer usable for shooting, I wouldn't call it obsolete. If those 70 Canon lenses are EF or EF-S mount they can all be used on the R system with a simple adapter. They are never going to become obsolete, although they will be replaced by newer RF models that may have features or characteristics that represent improvements.

As for the cameras, no digital camera is a long-term investment. They are electronic devices and like all electronic devices they get replaced by newer models. The question is, do the newer models offer anything you want? If not, then keep using what you have and don't worry about it. If the newer models offer something you want, then sell the old stuff and get the new. No sense crying over spilt milk. Cameras are investments only in the sense that they are investment in either your personal satisfaction or your business. In either case, once they quit serving their purpose, just cut your losses and move on.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you've got a case of Fear of Missing Out. You seem afraid that your old gear is going to be worthless and you think you might be missing out on something by not going mirrorless. But, you can't seem to articulate or justify why you should switch. So, the decision is up to you. Will you be happier shooting with the equipment you already have, or with new equipment?

Here's a suggestion. Sell some of that equipment and use it towards an R5, RF 24-105, RF 100-400 and RF 16 for your wife. Give it all to her at the next holiday and let her enjoy taking pictures with gear that she can appreciate and use. Then, maybe find yourself a new hobby that's more rewarding for you.
Lol
She can have anything she wants, yet she is happy with the SL1 and her 3 STM’s - to be fair she knows the camera inside out and can navigate her way round at lightening speed!!
I have M, EF and EF-S and L’s
I did use to sell on but had a very bad experience selling on eBay (scammers) - hence I no longer do. The trade in value in camera stores is pitiful against full RRP of new gear - I hate (detest) the idea of lining peoples pockets So, I find that I buy, try, compare used items on eBay - hence the large collection. Some of it is duplicated as used bodies came with lenses I already owned.
But as is often said of canon, they deliberately cripple bodies to ensure no one body has all the features unless it’s their flagship line thus ensure a ready supply of eager buyers for its next release….. The R5 & R3 are ludicrous sums of money for what is essentially new tech and will quickly be obsolete as the technology races ahead. There is already a glutton of RP R6 on eBay as sellers try to sell to fund the R5/3 upgrade
Too eager to buy the latest/greatest they paid through the nose, now expect someone will pay likewise, but many buyers are savvy enough to realise the used prices drop off a cliff the moment the newer model is released and canon is storming ahead doing its damndest to ram the R down our throats. So, like many DSLR users I’ll sit back and bide my time. My 5diii’s and 6d’s are still far more capable than I.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

Aug 31, 2018
Lol
She can have anything she wants, yet she is happy with the SL1 and her 3 STM’s - to be fair she knows the camera inside out and can navigate her way round at lightening speed!!
I have M, EF and EF-S and L’s
I did use to sell on but had a very bad experience selling on eBay (scammers) - hence I no longer do. The trade in value in camera stores is pitiful against full RRP of new gear - I hate (detest) the idea of lining peoples pockets So, I find that I buy, try, compare used items on eBay - hence the large collection. Some of it is duplicated as used bodies came with lenses I already owned.
But as is often said of canon, they deliberately cripple bodies to ensure no one body has all the features unless it’s their flagship line thus ensure a ready supply of eager buyers for its next release….. The R5 & R3 are ludicrous sums of money for what is essentially new tech and will quickly be obsolete as the technology races ahead. There is already a glutton of RP R6 on eBay as sellers try to sell to fund the R5/3 upgrade
Too eager to buy the latest/greatest they paid through the nose, now expect someone will pay likewise, but many buyers are savvy enough to realise the used prices drop off a cliff the moment the newer model is released and canon is storming ahead doing its damndest to ram the R down our throats. So, like many DSLR users I’ll sit back and bide my time. My 5diii’s and 6d’s are still far more capable than I.
Longer the time the resell value of those EF stuffs drop even more. Camera equipments are tools only not any investment IMO. For me I have dumbed all EF stuff since the introduction of R system and I’m very please with the results I got. Now I use R5 and I can also shoot some nice video clips of my kids too.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Longer the time the resell value of those EF stuffs drop even more. Camera equipments are tools only not any investment IMO. For me I have dumbed all EF stuff since the introduction of R system and I’m very please with the results I got. Now I use R5 and I can also shoot some nice video clips of my kids too.

Have you tried to buy a nice, clean copy of some of the recently discontinued EF lenses? Used EF 135mm f/2, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 35mm f/2 IS, etc. lenses are NOT dropping in value.

Upvote 0
Have you tried to buy a nice, clean copy of some of the recently discontinued EF lenses? Used EF 135mm f/2, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 35mm f/2 IS, etc. lenses are NOT dropping in value.
Exactly, seems many were in such a rush to discard their old kit for the newer shinier models they didn’t stop to consider that even tho canon has stopped production, the new R will be out of reach for many. A used dslr and maybe a few used lenses is a great starting point. But now production has ceased many (like myself) will keep their old kit thus pushing prices up on stuff available.

For the record, I will buy a R at some point in the future. But prices are crazy atm, I’ll bide my time and play with my M system to feed my mirrorless urge.

Upvote 0
Exactly, seems many were in such a rush to discard their old kit for the newer shinier models they didn’t stop to consider that even tho canon has stopped production, the new R will be out of reach for many. A used dslr and maybe a few used lenses is a great starting point. But now production has ceased many (like myself) will keep their old kit thus pushing prices up on stuff available.

For the record, I will buy a R at some point in the future. But prices are crazy atm, I’ll bide my time and play with my M system to feed my mirrorless urge.
Just to add…
They’ve stopped production on the last generation of fast IS primes
24is, 28is, 35is, 70-300is ii
I have all these plus their older EF versions. Superb glass regardless if it’s now considered obsolete.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

Aug 31, 2018
In HK both resell price and 2nd hand price dropping, all of these 3 lenses are not on shelves of camera shops and major electronic shops

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

I don't get the rush to sell off the EF lenses if you get a RF system.

I mean, one simple adapter away and you can keep using your very good older glass...no?

C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't get the rush to sell off the EF lenses if you get a RF system...

I can only speak for myself. I've sold off all but two of my EF lenses (100 macro and 8-15 fisheye). I sold several that I simply didn't use enough to justify keeping (70-300 mm L, for example). In other cases the RF lenses have advantages that I appreciate. 70-200 f2.8 RF for example is lighter and more compact. The 100-500 RF has an additional 100mm focal length and is lighter. I currently own five RF lenses. I used to own about a dozen EF lenses. Switching to RF was an incentive to pare things down to lenses I actually use. I didn't object to the adapters, but it's nice to have fewer lenses and not have to worry about switching out the adapters.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't get the rush to sell off the EF lenses if you get a RF system.
Adding to my earlier comment. Another reason to "rush" is rising prices on RF lenses. My 100-500 RF was delivered in August. As of today's latest price increases, it is now $200 more. It used to be that it paid to wait a few years after a lens release, because the price usually dropped. But in today's upside-down COVID world, it's cheaper to buy now than wait and unless you pre-order, you may not be able to get a lens when you want it.

Upvote 0