Canon China Teases ‘New Companion’ Coming Feb 24

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
At this point everything I want I can't afford anyway. But I hope it something that reveals a bit of the future of APSc and what it is going to look like in the RF lineup or EF-m lineup. Probably wouldn't be a camera for me. But an RF 300 2.8 will be outside my price range, as would any of those super zooms recently offered.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Interesting. Google lens translates the vertical text to the side of the big 3 as "There's still more to come from Canon's new product launch". If that 'still more' is translated accurately, it could be meant to indicate this launch is related to the last one from recent memory. Which is the R5C I believe.

That would indicate an RF body rather than some new gimmick camera to me.
The last '还有' definitely means "more". But what that refers is tricky.
For example, at a fashion show a photographer asked the staff '还有没有?', literally meaning 'more or not more?'. He was wondering if there was another brand show on this last day (there had been 2 brand shows the previous days, this last day there were 3). The answer was '有' (more, ie there's another show coming).

I'd translate it as "More is coming from/at the Canon new product press conference". But I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Most likely are those 800mm and 1200mm tele lenses I guess.
I don't believe it happening without some more rumors about it first, but I'll be happy to be surprised by an R7 anyway :)

Could also be some of these "stupid" chinese gadget things ("social-camera", Powershot Zoom, and that kind of stuff :-/)
That's a "stupid" comment. There is no such large demand for those "stupid" gadget things in China, and they are not Chinese neither.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
According to PhotoRumors the original post is tagged #canon8k ?!
So actually sounds like it could be a delayed announcement of R5C in China?...

Upvote 0
There is no meaning of “friend” or “companion” in the poster. More accurate translation could be “Sorry for coming late” or “I am finally coming”.
The friend word wasn’t in poster, but on Weibo post title.
The translation you provided (thanks) does suggest something that might not be new, but for the China market.

Upvote 0
According to PhotoRumors the original post is tagged #canon8k ?!
So actually sounds like it could be a delayed announcement of R5C in China?...
I'm not seeing that. Here's the original image. I checked the text and I don't see any Canon8k tags.

Attachments

• 6d3fe6d2ly1gzl6ym2vvgj20u01hawtm.jpg
    6d3fe6d2ly1gzl6ym2vvgj20u01hawtm.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Hmmm... The poster might not have been an expensive one made by Canon marketing. Maybe more likely an "amateur work" from a person resposible for their social media?:

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Most likely are those 800mm and 1200mm tele lenses I guess.
I don't believe it happening without some more rumors about it first, but I'll be happy to be surprised by an R7 anyway :)

Could also be some of these "stupid" gadget things ("social-camera", Powershot Zoom, and that kind of stuff :-/)
Those “stupid gadget things” are popular, which is why they keep producing them. You don’t have to like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Those “stupid gadget things” are popular, which is why they keep producing them. You don’t have to like it.
Exactly. It wasn't meant like a "hate thing". Just that, that is mostly not what we care about here (And a bit annoying just when we get our hopes up for something "better") :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0