Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Jan 22, 2012
I learn yet again in life not to believe 'Mr know it all's. I hope that this is a humbling moment for some on this forum. I personally do not have a need for the APSC camera currently but am delighted that it is launched. Also, no one can tell me anymore that APSC cameras do not make sense.
And, this is again a clear indication that it is bye bye DSLR. And we did not have to wait too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The lenses are tapered, so they will have a smaller diameter than the cheaper RF 50 and RF 16.
That 18-150 looks very similar to the EF-M 18-150 both in overall size and "look" from the front, but it seems like it has larger maximum magnification (see post on Digicame-info), so maybe a slightly different design.

Still surprised on how good the "mock-ups" were, assuming that the images leaked today are those of the real cameras, of course. The R7 mock-up even showed that new rear dial sticking out from the backside of the camera. Only the right side of the camera (seen from the front) was different, (maybe to avoid issues with those images?).
I do agree with previous posters that some details seem a bit off, we'll know very soon

For comparison: (W X H X D)

R10 Size: 122.5 X 87.8 X 83.4mm
M50 Size: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7mm
R6 Size: 138 x 97.5 x 88.4mm
thx!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I would love to hear from RP shooters how they find their EVF.
RP user here - it is adequate and eventually I've adapted to it. It has its perks, like exposure simulation, which is surprisingly nice. It complements the camera decently enough for my needs, as I can gather useful information and feedback from it while shooting.

But for me, it's either that or the OVF on my 5D cameras (OVF is superior). I cannot compare it to other EVFs like on the newer R6 or R5.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As has been discussed here many times, the sales of a pro level crop camera were clearly not high enough to have a camera that fills this niche and that niche alone. The 7D series was never updated to a mark III, which it would have been if it followed Canon's typical timeline. Nikon's D500, while getting great reviews from reviewers and consumers, never got a newer generation update either. The fact that Canon released the 90D rather than a 7D III with specs that were not pro level, but higher than the 80D, seemed to indicate that a compromise between the two lines was the path that Canon considered profitable. So, it could be quite possible that the R7 follows the same strategy. Not 7D level, but more along the lines of the 90D.

Which, for me - and presumably many of us - would fit with who we are and what we actually need as photographers. I'm no pro, but an enthusiast that does a lot of bird photography. If the price is right (and a pro level camera would certainly be more than I can afford) than this may be a great fit. I will care about the AF system, not whether or not it has a MF/AF switch on the front of the camera (a no-brainer good idea, it seems to me). I will care about FPS (And that seems to be confirmed as plenty good enough.) I will care about size and weight - and unlike many others, I think the R7 is a very good size for those wanting something close to the R5 and R6 (just a bit smaller and lighter). The R10 would be a great option for me if the R7 is too pricey as it would be a wonderful size and weight paired with my RF 100-400. The R10 would also be very suitable size and weight wise with the RF 100-400. Not sure why this seems absurd to say, but I care image quality, size and weight, and AF ability, not the fact that is has a newly positioned back dial (seems like it might be a really good place for it. I often have a bit if trouble manipulating the second top dial. I always liked the second back dial on the 6D). I care about what the photos look like, not what the camera looks like.

I sold my R6, but kept my 100-400 hoping for an RF crop camera. So, I'm looking forward to what these two cameras will offer.

But others, feel free to continue to whine and complain about the smallest little things that don't meet your personal desires. The more forum members whine and complain, the more convinced I become that Canon has made some really good decisions!
A very reasonable post.

In my opinion the biggest drawback with the 90D was the autofocus. It was still a step below the 7D II. When I bought it for my wife, I was disappointed and, even though I hate the phrase, it did seem like Canon "crippled" the autofocus on the 90D. It appears the R7 will have the same autofocus as the R5, which is a big improvement.

As for the controls and button locations, it seems as though Canon is still experimenting with the best controls for mirrorless. I do hope it will have the touch control screen of the R5, as I think it was a huge mistake to not include that on the R3. But, I agree that repositioning the back dial is not that big of a deal. It certainly would not deter me.

I'm a little disappointed in the viewfinder resolution, but I expect it will be just fine for most uses.

Watching the Pangolin Tours video, I was a little surprised at the buffer size, which seemed small to me. For bird photography, it should be fine, but I can see hitting the max buffer shooting sports.

I do hope it will have the option to add a shutter click to the electronic shutter as I find shooting completely silent to be quite disconcerting.

The price seems very reasonable and in fact lower than I was expecting, although it does seem about right for the feature set.

If you can afford an R5 or an R3 would this be a better choice? Not for me. But, for those who find those bodies too expensive, it does seem like a very reasonable price and for many R5 and R3 owners, it is low enough to consider as a second body if you want a crop sensor for "reach."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Seems like it's geared toward 7D shooters. Hard to really say without picking up or using the camera, or even seeing a comprehensive review of it, but from the specs listed in that video, it actually sounds like it might offer a decent package for that crowd. Only issue might be getting used to the new ergonomics. Not sure why they didn't keep the overall design and ruggedness of the R5 (or even the R6), though.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Y'know, it really hadn't occurred to me until someone just mentioned it, but I actually would bet the R1 is the answer to professionals looking for reach.

It's more than likely that the R1 is going to be a competitor to the A1 and have high speed FPS and super high resolution, especially when you consider that the R3 is Canon's current sports line.

So if the R1 ends up a quad-pixel 84mp sensor with 20-30+ FPS, it's going to totally occupy that high end wildlife/sports crowd that can afford $12,000 lenses, even if it's $8000.

Meanwhile, the R7 provides awesome reach in a low price for consumers who aren't as worried about 14 bit raw and just want that sweet 32mp 1.6x at 30 fps. With that in mind, as well as the R5's 1.6x mode, it makes more sense for the R7 to not be as professional as the 7D once was.

Upvote 0
For those who didn't see the video before it goes/went private, here's what I got:

15mechanical/30electronic shutter
1/320 flash sync
focus bracketing
4K/60 uncropped
4K/30 oversampled from 7K
Canon Log 3, 10bit 4-2-2, timecode, no 30min limit
Full-HD/120

Mostly disappointed about the EVF spec. Especially if it doesn't have a highspeed mode (100 or 120fps), which I kind of suspect it won't have :-(
I think it's time they put out a firmware update for the R5 then... why would the lesser cameras and the more expensive camera have no limit but the R5 and R6 are stuck with a 30 minute limit?? That's just nonsense.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0