Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Sorry you’re having issues, hope the update addresses them.

I’ve had my R3 since last November and never experienced a freeze/lockup or unusual battery drain.
I am not saying the problem doesn't exist, but I have had my R3 since initial shipment and have not seen either issue. I was in Africa for 17 days last month and not a single glitch or lockup. I had one issue with AF, but that was the extent of the issues I have experienced. Basically, the camera could not lock on the eyes of an elephant that was charging (mock) and instead of focusing on the big gray head filling the viewfinder it locked on an area over the back of the elephant. Most active encounters of my 3 trips and I took almost 30k photos.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
I haven't updated my firmware at all on the R5.
If fact I've rarely done it in the past with all my other cameras.
Do people recommend it for the R5. Did it genuinely improve anything - focus tracking in particular in the last firmware update?
I'm a sort of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of person but if tracking was improved I'd take that

Not sure why you wouldn't want to. I bought my R5 last December and I've upgraded the firmware each and every time, which was quite a few. Haven't had any issues. It's to your benefit to keep the firmware current. With the R5 being so new, I'm sure there were half-baked functions and stability issues that didn't get addressed yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Do people recommend it for the R5. Did it genuinely improve anything - focus tracking in particular in the last firmware update?
I'm a sort of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of person but if tracking was improved I'd take that
With these newest mirrorless camera bodies—particularly the high end bodies—it is typically a good idea to update the firmware. I'd wait a week or two to make sure nothing problematic has popped up with the new version. Then I'd go for it. New versions always contain bug fixes and often contain significant feature updates or additions. For example, tracking performance is one of the ways the R5 is said to have gotten better for stills shooters. Vehicle tracking has been added to people and animal tracking. For video shooters, CLOG3 was added, among other things.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
For the record, I’ve had an ongoing issue with my R3 locking up when using electronic shutter and longer exposures like 1/5 of a second. Canon couldn’t reproduce the problem and writhing the first 15 photos of getting the camera back it froze up.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Firmware and other software updates (ie all of them: not just Canon cameras) tend to have a multitude of minor bug fixes included, which never make it onto the published list of changes. If possible, it's always a good idea to do them. But, agreed, not for a couple of weeks in case something untoward ends up happening!

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I’m really really hoping Canon will allow us to shoot video utilizing the full sensor height. We deserve the option of using the entire sensor to capture video. It’s easy enough to crop in post to whatever aspect ratio required.

As thing stand, these cameras are only full frame in photo mode. In movie mode, they are all crop sensor cameras.
Well it's only cropped to give the standard video aspects of 16:9 for TV and 1.9:1 for cinema isn't it ?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I’m really really hoping Canon will allow us to shoot video utilizing the full sensor height. We deserve the option of using the entire sensor to capture video. It’s easy enough to crop in post to whatever aspect ratio required.

As thing stand, these cameras are only full frame in photo mode. In movie mode, they are all crop sensor cameras.
Interesting. Can you please tell me what is the crop factor on R5 while shooting 4k video? Thank you, I would be checking here often for your reply. Thanking you!

Upvote 0
Well, if you haven’t updated at all then “it is broken”, so you should try to fix it. The IBIS bug that existed in the past is really annoying.
And you’re missing funcionalities.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Interesting. Can you please tell me what is the crop factor on R5 while shooting 4k video? Thank you, I would be checking here often for your reply. Thanking you!
He means 16:9 aspect ratio or 1.85:1, etc., not the whole sensor. Shooting “full frame” could be nice for vertical videos or frame grabs…

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Do the lenses themselves now contain the correction profiles and transfer them to the camera?

The latest firmware update for the EOS R was in Nov 2020 and added support for the RF 70-200/2.8 and RF 100-500. The RF 14-35/4L was announced in June 2021, and when I mounted it on my EOS R the correction profile was in there. Of course, it's possible that the firmware update from 7 months earlier contained the profile for the 14-35, and for obvious reasons Canon did not list that lens with the update.
According to Canon the data is provided by the lenses. My suspicion is that bodies needed new algorithms to deal with the more severely distorted lenses like the 24-240 and 16mm.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Are those algorithms not a part of the data stored in the lens?
I assume they are not, having them in-body allows for using more intensive versions on more powerful processors. It would be nice if the digic X can do a slightly better job than the digic 8.
And you can pick a faster, but lower quality algo when recording video.

Upvote 0
Firmware and other software updates (ie all of them: not just Canon cameras) tend to have a multitude of minor bug fixes included, which never make it onto the published list of changes. If possible, it's always a good idea to do them. But, agreed, not for a couple of weeks in case something untoward ends up happening!
I probably would have erred on not taking the new firmware for the R5, if it was video only, but I think you have raised a good point on the non disclosure.

Upvote 0
He means 16:9 aspect ratio or 1.85:1, etc., not the whole sensor. Shooting “full frame” could be nice for vertical videos or frame grabs…
Vertical videos are never nice. Can we just stop with that nonsense social media platforms need to allow mobile devices to be rotated so proper horizontal videos can be viewed full screen rather than forcing vertical videos to br the norm.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I assume they are not, having them in-body allows for using more intensive versions on more powerful processors. It would be nice if the digic X can do a slightly better job than the digic 8.
And you can pick a faster, but lower quality algo when recording video.
Maybe canon will make algorithms downloadable ( from lens ) just as lens profiles are downloadable from lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Vertical videos are never nice. Can we just stop with that nonsense social media platforms need to allow mobile devices to be rotated so proper horizontal videos can be viewed full screen rather than forcing vertical videos to br the norm.

In 15 years we'll probably have people complaining about silly horizontal videos.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
I wonder what they’re looking to update with this firmware. It is very unfortunate that the R3, R5/R6, and R7 all use totally different autofocus systems now…and no, the R7 does not have the R3 AF system, it has a bastardized version with deliberately less intuitive controls. Give everything the R3 AF system. It’s damn near perfect and I hate using any other camera because of it!

Hopefully we find the R5 gets a nice update to disable the movie record limit. I doubt there is anything they can do now to further improve overheating performance, but it would be cool to see the gauge system from the R7 - if that’s even possible.
Actually they could: The R7 has a badge behind the screen warning about higher temperatures, the R5 does not. The R5 could get a software toggle where you'd have to read and accept the extended temperature range on the backside and therefore use the camera up-to higher temperatures internally.

But what I'm really hoping for are waveform and/or histogram during recording (from the R5 C), M-fn not being the only button to toggle between video and photo AND cycling through the custom modes, depth composition for focus bracketing (from the R7), AF-linked spot metering (!!!!!) and maybe also a few AF improvements taken from the R3/R7.

In my opinion the R5 (and R3 for that matter) have a ton of possibilities to get better in software, the hardware is very capable but the software restricts them unnecessarily, but there may be quite a few of updates lying ahead, where they could reveal more of the beast that resides inside the R5 (and R3). (R5 II in ~2024 -> update 3/year -> at least 4 updates to go)

Upvote 0