Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

D

Deleted member 381342

Oh I just noticed this is a rumour from Twitter user (how2fly).... aye, also claimed the Nikon Z8 was coming out in August and it'll be next and that the Z7iii and Z6iii will come next year. They aren't even remotely reliable nor trusted, everything they post is absolute nonsense. That the R6ii will have a stacked sensor tracks with their other ludicrous claims.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I think Canon needs perhaps something like a R6 with around 30-32MP at this point. Nikon and Sony have all but abandoned the 24-26 MP sensors. To stay competitive, Canon must deliver on a higher than 20-26 MP camera. I can see a potential for one with the build quality of a R6 with IBIS. Virtually all mid to upper grade mirrorless cameras are coming with IBIS now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think Canon needs perhaps something like a R6 with around 30-32MP at this point. Nikon and Sony have all but abandoned the 24-26 MP sensors. To stay competitive, Canon must deliver on a higher than 20-26 MP camera. I can see a potential for one with the build quality of a R6 with IBIS. Virtually all mid to upper grade mirrorless cameras are coming with IBIS now.
Yes, it would be great to have a 30MP model sitting between the R5 and R6, but that would pose a problem with the name - what would they call it? Also there is the problem that an in-between model might cannibalise sales of the R5. I think this R6ii rumour is pure click-bait baloney.

IMO it will be 2 years before we see a replacement for the R6ii, and most likely it will be launched simultaneously with the R5ii. Both will have new more powerful processors, both may possibly have newer more powerful batteries, and the sensors will likely be stacked - 30MP for the R6ii and 60MP for the R5ii. The 20MP slot will then become available for a couple of new budget models - one video-orientated, and the other a typical hybrid design, and both with single SD card slots.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, it would be great to have a 30MP model sitting between the R5 and R6, but that would pose a problem with the name - what would they call it? Also there is the problem that an in-between model might cannibalise sales of the R5. I think this R6ii rumour is pure click-bait baloney.

IMO it will be 2 years before we see a replacement for the R6ii, and most likely it will be launched simultaneously with the R5ii. Both will have new more powerful processors, both may possibly have newer more powerful batteries, and the sensors will likely be stacked - 30MP for the R6ii and 60MP for the R5ii. The 20MP slot will then become available for a couple of new budget models - one video-orientated, and the other a typical hybrid design, and both with single SD card slots.
Since the R5 is older than the R6...why would we not see an update for the R5 first?

C

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Since the R5 is older than the R6...why would we not see an update for the R5 first?

C
R5 isn't older than R6, both were launched on the same day, i.e. 09 July 2020.

It's possible that the R5ii could be released before the R6ii, but I think they'll either be simultaneous, or very close together.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Some other Canon logics:

Let’s make the R6, 20 mpixels - 2400 euro’s.
Let’s make the R3, 24 mpixels - 6000 euro’s.
Let’s make the R6II 24 mpixels ..

Wonder what R3 owners might feel right now.
I’m quite happy with my R3, thanks. But then, I’m not foolish enough to think that the number of MPs is the only camera spec that matters.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Wonder what R3 owners might feel right now.
I think they'd be astonished that anyone thinks their main criteria for a camera is the pixels per dollar.

Could afford two R3's and RF glass, but I just don't think Canon deserves my money with these ridiculous pricing.
The sales volume is down 90% from the 1990s and 2000s, so fixed costs are amortized across far smaller production runs. What is ridiculous about this to you?

I share your apparent interest in not just performance but price/performance, but I've bought my RF outfit all mint used, before the April price increases, and can probably sell it for what I paid. So the net cost to me in the short term is nearly zero and medium-term probably low as well given a slower product replacement cycle that I forecast. I'd agree that used EF gear purchased today will probably lose less money in absolute terms than used RF, considering how much the EF prices have already fallen. However in most cases the lower image quality means you're getting less for less money: not a bad trade, if price/performance is of more interest than mere performance.

I also had a 16-lens EF system and can do about the same shooting with a 7-lens RF system. I also had bought my EOS-1Ds MkI, MkII, and MkIII for over $7500 each when they were new, and probably got less than $1500 for each when I sold them. The R5 was less than half of that. I also went through three generations of trinity zooms, for instance, for the EF in 20 years, each being a large improvement over the previous generation, whose value fell substantially. I'm not sure there is a case to be made that in general EF gear was cheaper to own current models of, per year, for a given range of apertures and focal lengths, even if you set aside the lower image quality. You're implying that Canon for some reason suddenly got "ridiculous" with pricing with RF but I think I spent more money in absolute terms on EF than I will on RF and there's utterly no question which outfit is making better photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0