An image of the Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM has leaked ahead of the official announcement

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Canon gave us 100mm, a slower aperture, and reduced weight for an $800 premium over the fabulous EF 100-400. That is still one of the best lenses I ever owned and I’m still hesitant to say the 100-500 is an improvement.
did you test before buying? Nothing wrong with the old lens if you like it. How's AF on the R's with the 100-400? If its great then maybe we've both made a mistake. I love the 100-500 but I didn't consider the EF100-400.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
did you test before buying? Nothing wrong with the old lens if you like it. How's AF on the R's with the 100-400? If its great then maybe we've both made a mistake. I love the 100-500 but I didn't consider the EF100-400.
The EF 100-400mm II was one of my favourite lens (1 each for my wife and me), and I used it extensively on the R5 before getting the RF 100-500. The AF is excellent on the R5, and it's still a fine lens. Where the RF 100-500mm wins is that it actually outresolves at 500mm the EF at 560mm with the 1.4xTC, it is sharper close up (I photo insects as well as birds) especially comparing both with the 2xTCs on where the EF pair is soft. At long distances with 2xTC, the 100-400mm at 800mm is pretty good but he RF at 1000mm even better. The take home message is that if you already have the EF 100-400mm II then there is no compulsion to upgrade, but if you do, you will be getting a lens that gets you to longer distances when you are reach limited, better close up, and at 100mm, as you have shown, a phenomenal lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My 135/2 I thought was the sharpest black EF, except maybe the 180 mac and 35/1.4 MkII? But the RF100-500 is sharper. See my "SHOOTOUT 135mm" discussion on this forum's lens subforum.
I still resist my GAS, though with AlanF's constant "attacks", it's getting harder day after day.
Guess I'll end up buying it...;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I suspect that this is the TC with positions 0 (the normal focal length), 1.4 (1.5) and 2. You can then put this TC on and you do not have to remove it.
As much as that would sound ideal, a "normal" 1x pass through should not be possible as that would be similar to adding the R mount adapter to an existing RF lens. The only way you could do it is to add it into the lens in the first place or to have Canon replace the shiny bit on the RF400/600/800/1200 big whites. Happy to be corrected of course.

A 1.4x/2x TC would be significantly more expensive option than the current single ones but effectively just packaging the 2 into a switchable adapter. I don't know how it would get around the issue of where the TC inserts into the lens though unless it is a complete redesign. I reckon 3 times the 2x TC's price ie USD1800.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You can adapt EF lenses ( canon & others brands )... Canon don't need to make RF version of all existing EF glasses... They are creating new stuff we never saw : 28-70 F2, 1.2 lense ( the 85 DS ), compact 70-200, and that 100-300 is another statement... I don't understand what you want
The cheapest lens you listed there costs $2700. Are they innovative? Sure. But where are the lenses for normal people that don't have unlimited funds? Where are the wide primes that have been "on the way" for years now? Why no 1.4s? Why no full frame, video focused camera under $5k? My problem is not that the lenses are bad, they are not, my issue is that you have to choose between spending $3k for a limited selection of RF L glass or $1.5k on a 20-30 year old Canon EF glass that can't keep up with the modern cameras capabilities. I would love to buy Sigmas EF glass, but the autofocus noise makes them unusable for video. The Tamron EFs, like Canon's own EF glass, can't keep up with the autofocus speeds. I think Canon has done a great job of filling out the bottom end of the lineup- the R7 and R8 are nice, and the lower end lenses are fine for those who want budget options as a trade off for image quality, performance and weather sealing. I think they have done a good job of filling out the premium end of the lineup- the C70, R5c and R3 are great cameras, and the 15-35, 50, both 85 primes, 135 and "big whites" are all great lenses, at an enormous cost. It is just frustrating that those are the only price points they seem to care about. What I want is something in the middle, that's all. I have been using Canon cameras for over 20 years, since I was a very young kid. I want them to give me a reason not to leave, because I really do like their products.

Upvote 0
Yes, those items listed are thing the R5 lack, but to their credit Canon has been transparent about what the camera and the RF system has to offer and what it doesn't.

From my perspective it does not make sense to buy into an expensive system hoping that something may or may not be available down the road (ie cheaper 3rd party lenses, future feature firmware updates, etc) and not liking the result rather than buying the right tool to fit the current budget and need.
I suppose I was biased towards Canon, having used their stuff for 20+ years, and that was my mistake. I was optimistic, when I guess I shouldn't have been. I thought they would want to compete with the Sonys and Panasonics for the average shooter, the content creators and the entry level professionals, but it does not seem that they do. At the end of the day, you are right, it appears I made a bad choice on what mirrorless system to enter and I suppose that is where a lot of my frustration comes from.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
As much as that would sound ideal, a "normal" 0x pass through should not be possible as that would be similar to adding the R mount adapter to an existing RF lens. The only way you could do it is to add it into the lens in the first place or to have Canon replace the shiny bit on the RF400/600/800/1200 big whites. Happy to be corrected of course.

A 1.4x/2x TC would be significantly more expensive option than the current single ones but effectively just packaging the 2 into a switchable adapter. I don't know how it would get around the issue of where the TC inserts into the lens though unless it is a complete redesign. I reckon 3 times the 2x TC's price ie USD1800.

How does the 200-400’s “0x” setting work? Isn’t that basically the same challenge?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
How does the 200-400’s “0x” setting work? Isn’t that basically the same challenge?
The 200-400's "1x" setting just moves the TC lenses out of the way of the optical path.

However, you need a different design if you have a separate TC as it increases flange distance. If you have a 1x setting without any lenses, then it becomes the equivalent of adding a extension tube to the lens. This makes you lose infinity focus. Therefore, you need a lens at the 1x setting to compensate for infinity focus.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I’ve been a trusty Canon customer for over 45 years but even my patients are wearing thin waiting for lenses Sony and even Nikon can make yet Canon focus on £10K plus zoom rather than f1.4L primes like a 24 / 35 / 50 / 85 that we should have had after 5 years of the RF system. Canon has virtually nothing in the middle ground it’s either entry level or high end fast glass save for the RF 16-35mm f4L, RF 24-105mm f4L and the RF 70-200mm f4L but zero primes in that category.
Do they bother listening to customers other than high level pros?

Upvote 0

lnz

Jul 9, 2020
Sigma would bring a similar lens for less than half the price, if it got permission.
3 time
The cheapest lens you listed there costs $2700. Are they innovative? Sure. But where are the lenses for normal people that don't have unlimited funds? Where are the wide primes that have been "on the way" for years now? Why no 1.4s? Why no full frame, video focused camera under $5k? My problem is not that the lenses are bad, they are not, my issue is that you have to choose between spending $3k for a limited selection of RF L glass or $1.5k on a 20-30 year old Canon EF glass that can't keep up with the modern cameras capabilities. I would love to buy Sigmas EF glass, but the autofocus noise makes them unusable for video. The Tamron EFs, like Canon's own EF glass, can't keep up with the autofocus speeds. I think Canon has done a great job of filling out the bottom end of the lineup- the R7 and R8 are nice, and the lower end lenses are fine for those who want budget options as a trade off for image quality, performance and weather sealing. I think they have done a good job of filling out the premium end of the lineup- the C70, R5c and R3 are great cameras, and the 15-35, 50, both 85 primes, 135 and "big whites" are all great lenses, at an enormous cost. It is just frustrating that those are the only price points they seem to care about. What I want is something in the middle, that's all. I have been using Canon cameras for over 20 years, since I was a very young kid. I want them to give me a reason not to leave, because I really do like their products.
" 20-30 year old Canon EF glass " i wont waste my time replying to that... troll or ignorant

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I’ve been a trusty Canon customer for over 45 years but even my patients are wearing thin waiting for lenses Sony and even Nikon can make yet Canon focus on £10K plus zoom rather than f1.4L primes like a 24 / 35 / 50 / 85 that we should have had after 5 years of the RF system. Canon has virtually nothing in the middle ground it’s either entry level or high end fast glass save for the RF 16-35mm f4L, RF 24-105mm f4L and the RF 70-200mm f4L but zero primes in that category.
Do they bother listening to customers other than high level pros?
Canon’s strategy for R is to (1) release very high end glass (28-70, this 100-300, etc…) to convince EF using pros to switch, and (2) release entry-level stuff so that they have an entry level package for new users to buy in. Everyone else has EF glass and can wait a bit.

The EF 50 and 85/1.2Ls were the weakest designs of the 24/35/50/85 set and they have already received updates. The EF 135L was the oldest, and we got an update for that recently too. Next will be the 24 and 35L primes. Don’t expect them to be cheap though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0