Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

With so few lenses on the docket I doubt we’ll see much attention to RF-S but I really would be interested in seeing an R7 mark II that has a processor capable of keeping up with the frame rate so that we don’t have autofocus jumping on and off the subject.

I’ve been using the R7 in the studio with the RF 50 1.2 and holy crap it’s sharp and beautiful. Level of detail is unreal. A slight bit of purple fringing pops up under the strobes but that’s easily fixed in post.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
With so few lenses on the docket I doubt we’ll see much attention to RF-S but I really would be interested in seeing an R7 mark II that has a processor capable of keeping up with the frame rate so that we don’t have autofocus jumping on and off the subject.

I’ve been using the R7 in the studio with the RF 50 1.2 and holy crap it’s sharp and beautiful. Level of detail is unreal. A slight bit of purple fringing pops up under the strobes but that’s easily fixed in post.
Are you using the R7/50 1.2 for portraits?

Whenever I read/hear corporate PR, I ask myself "Who is this intended to manipulate and what do they want the reader/listener to believe?"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017
Sony releases A9iii : Canon sleeps

Nikon buys RED that shares Canon patents : CaNoN AWAKES

SO... Will there be 24-50/2.8 and 16-28/2.8 to kill off the necessity of 3rd parties f2.8 zooms. And pleased the bitxhy enthusiasts as a side effect.
I feel Canon is really afraid Nikon more than Sony.
From Camera side, even Sony keeps releasing many version fullframe cameras to keep their fullframe selling every year. Canon would not change their plan to release more camera. You can see Canon has not released high resolution after 5Ds.
But releasing lens, Canon doesn't want to lose to Nikon. I really feel Canon has not released RF35mm f1.2 because Nikon has not released.
They both delay the release date.
I am sure if Nikon releases, Canon will release.

If Sony really release 24-70 f2.0 this year, I think Canon will release 28-70f2.0 mark 2 and 70-150mm f2.0 this year.

But Canon keeps saying that they can't produce enough lens every year. If they release 7 more in year. Many lens will keep out of stock.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I feel Canon is really afraid Nikon more than Sony.
From Camera side, even Sony keeps releasing many version fullframe cameras to keep their fullframe selling every year. Canon would not change their plan to release more camera. You can see Canon has not released high resolution after 5Ds.
But releasing lens, Canon doesn't want to lose to Nikon. I really feel Canon has not released RF35mm f1.2 because Nikon has not released.
They both delay the release date.
I am sure if Nikon releases, Canon will release.

If Sony really release 24-70 f2.0 this year, I think Canon will release 28-70f2.0 mark 2 and 70-150mm f2.0 this year.

But Canon keeps saying that they can't produce enough lens every year. If they release 7 more in year. Many lens will keep out of stock.
I believe Canon follow their own schedule when releasing/developing lenses.
They do not have lenses ready to throw into the market depending on what Nikon brings. Nikon is presently trying to regain some importance, still too small a fish for Canon. They sure pay attention to what competition is launching, but don't base their strategy on Nikon's announcements.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I will never understand how a company that markets to creative professionals makes presentations that look like they were done by a 14 year old who just pirated photoshop for the first time.

"whoa, I can make words that GLOW RED"
The target audience is investors. Perhaps they are impressed by glowing red :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How about adopting the strategy of being able to deliver the cameras & lenses you “release.” Frustrated here in Vegas waiting on 10-20mm & 100-300mm … try to support local shop but B&H still seem to have upper hand…
This has been the case for most high-end camera products, not just Canon’s. For the past several years, if you want a new high-end camera or lens, the best thing is to either preorder it from a major shop (B&H, Adorama) within an hour or two of the announcement, or if you have a local retailer connect with them before the announcement and see if they’ll put you on their list.

I preordered the R3, 100-300/2.8 and 24-105/2.8 from B&H all within an hour of the preorder links going live (was 6a ET for the R3, midnight ET for the more recent lenses which is a better time for you). I received each of them from B&H’s first allotment.

If you think you’ll want something but aren’t sure, preorder immediately just in case. You’ll have several weeks to cancel if you change your mind.

If you decide later, there’s still hope. Set an alert with canonpricewatch. Several times in the past couple of months, one retailer or another has gotten a 100-300/2.8 in stock. They don’t last long, so if you get an alert order immediately.

You can also use a combination of google and a phone. I decided a couple of months ago that I wanted the 10-20/4 (was packing my EF 11-24/4 for a trip, and really had to shoehorn it in). Adorama was showing estimated stock in April (it’s now slipped to May). I set CPW alerts but no luck. About a month ago, I started searching google for smaller stores, and if they listed a 10-20 in stock I called them. The first two didn’t actually have them (but they’d happily have taken my preorder). The third one, a small store in the DC area, told me they actually had one. I immediately ordered it online, and had it two days later.

Or you can wait, hope and complain. I have a pretty good idea of which approach will get a lens into your hands sooner.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I'm just trying to imagine the size and weight of an 85mm F1.0. :p
Couldn't be worse than the Sigma 1.4/40mm Sumo Deluxe...
To be honest, I'd rather those lenses be big and heavy than small but relying on heavy software corrections
This is just my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's rookie numbers. There was a 0.75 lens a long time ago that Canon made, but it was for xray...
HaHaHa! :p
Zeiss made 10 50mm F0,7 lenses already in the sixties, originally for the NASA. And for photography!
If I'm not mistaken, Stanley Kubrick even used it for a movie. Was it Barry Lyndon?
Edit: I found an article in the "Lomography" website which confirms it!
If you have enough $$$$$, you can even rent it! ("PopPhoto" website)

Last edited:
Upvote 0