Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I mean this in the nicest way, but this thread is a good indication of how unrepresentative the average forum user is, compared to the general camera buying public.
The general public doesn't usually participate in camera fora. We are certainly a minority, with often contradictory preferences and habits. Representative ot the camera market? Definitely not.
This explains why some cameras or lenses we often stupidly despise are among the best sellers. EOS 100...
If Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Nikon and Co. developed or produced solely according to our wishes, they'd be bankrupt in a fortnight.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
When I travel with family, the tripod stays at the lodging during the day. Much of that photography is capturing the family in the locale, but I do squeeze in some shots of the destination, as well. For example, this was taken last summer in Rome, during a private walking tour:

"Roman Colosseum"
View attachment 215439
EOS R8, RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM @ 29mm, 1/400 s, f/8, ISO 100

However, on such trips I also bring a tripod and usually I can find one or more evenings where I can go out for some solo photography, and for that the tripod comes along. I enjoy blue hour shooting, and even with Coordinated IS I won't be handholding for 10-30 s. For example, from the following evening.

"Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi"
View attachment 215440
EOS R8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 13 s, f/8, ISO 100
Beautiful!
I love blue hour shooting, I used to do it as well before my daughter was born... Incidentally, Rome offers so many photo opportunities! I love that city, and many other places in my home country.
Maybe I am just lazy and am looking for excuses not to buy a light tripod that I'd have to carry around ;)
I already have too much photography gear... except for lenses! there's no such thing as too many lenses :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Me too, that's why I've doubled some lenses.My hiking gear and my city-visiting gear are different.
You never have enough lenses, good for Canon and Leica. ;)
Yes no such thing as too many lenses! but because of budget limits and space restrictions and wife's excessive frowning, I cannot keep too many overlappin lenses. I already have 2 overlapping systems (RF with some EF leftovers and HC)
And my family never cooperates...
I feel you pain :ROFLMAO:
As to weight, I wonder how can it be that Nikon's 1,4/105 weighs 700gr less that the Sigma. More expertise maybe, because it terms of sharpness the two lenses are similar.
The RF F1,2 lenses' weight is still within acceptable limits, no doubt "your" RF 1,2/35 won't weigh as much a Sigma's 1,4/40...
I don't know but Sony as well has lenses that are lighter than Canon's equivalents. I have always assumed that, in Sony's case, that had to do with smaller image circle due to E mount's smaller diameter... But I am probably wrong and ultimately size depends on decisions on lens formulas and how much optical correction v how much software correction
PS: speaking of trade-offs, whenever I bought Canon lenses only because they were lighter than the more luminous ones, I ended regretting it. And replaced them...
Same here - I've been often lured by "cheap" lenses and then ended up getting rid of them. I thought I had learnt that lesson but I have still wasted money and space recently with the RF 800 f/11 and the RF 24-240. Not saying that they are bad lenses in absolute terms, just that they do not compare to much more expensive lenses and when I have to choose which lenses to bring, I know which ones will end up in my bag - you could say "it shouldn't be surprising that much more expensive lenses are better", but I have had quite a few discussions on dpreview fora with people that were saying that the 24-240 had L qualities at non-L prices. I disagreed then and disagree now

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I mean this in the nicest way, but this thread is a good indication of how unrepresentative the average forum user is, compared to the general camera buying public.
All fora populated by people passionate in something do not represent the average user, that's no news to most of us I want to believe ;)

Having said so, who cares? I am passionate about photography and I aspire to become a better and better photographer. This brings me joy and fulfillment. This is what matters to me.
I like these fora because sometimes I find like-minded people I can have some good discussions with.

I hope the camera-buying masses (assuming they still exist) keep keeping Canon and others in business. But they do not represent me and I do not represent them.

That's why Canon should get off their high horse and deliver my 35 f/1.2!!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The general public doesn't usually participate in camera fora. We are certainly a minority, [...]
I think that's underselling how small a minory us forum dwellers are: the general public isn't into photography at all! The majority that is into photography isn't using ILCs. The majority of people using ILCs won't participate in fora. And the majority of ILC users who participate on fora is being paid by Sony ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes no such thing as too many lenses! but because of budget limits and space restrictions and wife's excessive frowning, I cannot keep too many overlappin lenses. I already have 2 overlapping systems (RF with some EF leftovers and HC)
At home, I store my lenses in Storm cases. For quite some time, I resisted adding more cases but I finally broke down and bought one more (and since they discontinued their soft padded divider system that I prefer in favor of the rigid TrekPak system, when I found a little shop that had them, I bought the two they had in case I buy another case...).

Same here - I've been often lured by "cheap" lenses and then ended up getting rid of them. I thought I had learnt that lesson but I have still wasted money and space recently with the RF 800 f/11 and the RF 24-240. Not saying that they are bad lenses in absolute terms, just that they do not compare to much more expensive lenses and when I have to choose which lenses to bring, I know which ones will end up in my bag - you could say "it shouldn't be surprising that much more expensive lenses are better", but I have had quite a few discussions on dpreview fora with people that were saying that the 24-240 had L qualities at non-L prices. I disagreed then and disagree now
I've generally avoided that issue. The exception has been the RF 100-400, which optically is very good and is more convenient for travel. It's a case where for urban destinations I would often not bring anything longer than the 24-105/4, but the 100-400 is light enough that I will bring it if there's room, whereas I would not bring the 100-500L.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

I feel you pain :ROFLMAO:

I don't know but Sony as well has lenses that are lighter than Canon's equivalents. I have always assumed that, in Sony's case, that had to do with smaller image circle due to E mount's smaller diameter... But I am probably wrong and ultimately size depends on decisions on lens formulas and how much optical correction v how much software correction

Sony's lenses are indeed sometimes lighter than Canon's equivalents.
It could depend on the choice of materials, the specific weight of the glass used, on design etc...
Hard to say. Let's just suppose for our peace of mind they are crappily engineered. :devilish:

• Haha
Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Sony's lenses are indeed sometimes lighter than Canon's equivalents.
It could depend on the choice of materials, the specific weight of the glass used, on design etc...
Hard to say. Let's just suppose for our peace of mind they are crappily engineered. :devilish:
I like the way you think :geek:

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Even the best Latin poets warned of 3rd. party lenses! :rolleyes:
To quote Boetius: "Sigma est delenda".
Sigma est delenda: Sigma is to be destroyed (according to Google Translate). Are you sure this is from Boetius? and not from the secret appendix of Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I've generally avoided that issue. The exception has been the RF 100-400, which optically is very good and is more convenient for travel. It's a case where for urban destinations I would often not bring anything longer than the 24-105/4, but the 100-400 is light enough that I will bring it if there's room, whereas I would not bring the 100-500L.
I've never been interested in the 100-400, although I do recognize its convenience (as I did with the 24-240).
My 200-800 hasn't arrived yet and I am starting to have second thoughts on it. I hope it will be better at 800mm than the f/11 lens that I really did not like. But some people posted photos on these fora and they are not helping my confidence since many are quite soft.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Sigma est delenda: Sigma is to be destroyed (according to Google Translate). Are you sure this is from Boetius? and not from the secret appendix of Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024?
I guarantee this is definitely not from poor Boetius, it was invented by a mean individual.
Was it perhaps me? :sneaky:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've never been interested in the 100-400, although I do recognize its convenience (as I did with the 24-240).
The optical compromises are far less on the 100-400 than on the 24-240, IMO.

My 200-800 hasn't arrived yet and I am starting to have second thoughts on it. I hope it will be better at 800mm than the f/11 lens that I really did not like. But some people posted photos on these fora and they are not helping my confidence since many are quite soft.
I considered the 200-800, but not very seriously. When I need something that long (birds), I use the 600/4 II + 1.4x, and if I don't need something that long then the 100-500L does a better job. Same reason I was not seriously tempted by the 800/11.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I think that's underselling how small a minory us forum dwellers are: the general public isn't into photography at all! The majority that is into photography isn't using ILCs. The majority of people using ILCs won't participate in fora. And the majority of ILC users who participate on fora is being paid by Sony ;)
A friend of mine moderates a watch forum. Most members post news and informations about their Patek Philippe, Rolex, Piaget and so on.
While most watch owners carry Swatches, Timexes, lower range Seikos or Citizens. But there was a Swatch forum!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will never understand how a company that markets to creative professionals makes presentations that look like they were done by a 14 year old who just pirated photoshop for the first time.

Japanese corps still use faxes & floppy disks (though these are just now being phased out), so an ancient looking powerpoint is no surprise.

• Wow
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
A friend of mine, who is a serious and avid bird photographer, has done tests with the 200-800mm on the R5 and compared the results with the EF 500mm Mk II (with and without EF1.4 Mk III extender) and his conclusion is that the 200-800mm is sharper that his EF 500mm.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A friend of mine, who is a serious and avid bird photographer, has done tests with the 200-800mm on the R5 and compared the results with the EF 500mm Mk II (with and without EF1.4 Mk III extender) and his conclusion is that the 200-800mm is sharper that his EF 500mm.
I have doubts about that. Significant doubts.

1710187624618.png 1710187645853.png

The MTFs support my doubts. 'Sharpness' corresponds to the blue lines. As far as MTFs go, the difference between the two lenses is significant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Many photos at 800mm (or even 600mm and 700mm) are quite soft and it has nothing to do with the lens. So very difficult to judge until you try it yourself with favorable atmospheric conditions.

Upvote 0