Canon EOS R5 Mark II will ship in June or July

I often wonder why people with such a strong anti-Canon bias bother to waste their precious time coming onto a Canon rumor site to make ignorant and completely inaccurate statements. The idea that no one else is having supply issues is laughable at this point.
I have used exclusively Canon since the 1970s. So I have no anti-Canon bias, I just know how Canon leads from behind. Every. Single. Time. They did it with the R5, and they are doing it again right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017
I have used exclusively Canon since the 1970s. So I have no anti-Canon bias, I just know how Canon leads from behind. Every. Single. Time. They did it with the R5, and they are doing it again right now.
I remember R5 was the first 8K fullframe camera.
They were just stupid to make the overheat stop recording function and let Sony fans had chance to fight back.
Sony were scared and announced A7Siii suddenly.
Then released A1 in 2011.
Nikon didn't do anything before Z9. They needed to wait Sony agree to sell the 8K sensor.

Canon released 10-20mm f4, 24-105 f2.8 and 100-300mm f2.8. Other companies can't release anything.
Only Sony rumors "said" Sony will release 24-70mmf2.0 but Sony didn't.

I think Canon make sure they can release 200-500mmf4.0 for Olympics more than R1.
Sport photography would care lens more than global shutter.

I don't think most people don't like Canon releases many models every year to win the spec.

Sony just like to win the spec every year.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Happily blasting away with my Black Friday refurb deal R5. I paid less for it than I did for my 5DIII 10+years ago, back when Adorama was doing huge discounts through Ebay. At the time I thought it was the single greatest deal on a camera I'd ever get. Looks like the R5 beat it, although the 5DIII was in the first years of its lifecycle during that deal.

But I do want to know what's coming. Have 1 or 2 years left of my kid playing soccer - would pay for something with some R3 like or pre-shoot features to get those moments while I still can.

Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Happily blasting away with my Black Friday refurb deal R5. I paid less for it than I did for my 5DIII 10+years ago, back when Adorama was doing huge discounts through Ebay. At the time I thought it was the single greatest deal on a camera I'd ever get. Looks like the R5 beat it, although the 5DIII was in the first years of its lifecycle during that deal.

But I do want to know what's coming. Have 1 or 2 years left of my kid playing soccer - would pay for something with some R3 like or pre-shoot features to get those moments while I still can.

Brian
I hope the pre-capture functionality will be easier to use and consume than the current version. The one-huge-file that only DPP4 can read and where you can extract files only one by one makes it practically useless for me.
And it blocks shooting till the buffer has been saved to the card, which can take more than 30 seconds. So don’t plan to shoot more than once a minute!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I would imagine it will be like many other Canon releases. They will have specific photographers at the Olympics with the R1 and they will have had the camera for some time to get ready. They will start shipping after the Olympics with all the photos for examples. I just hope they make an announcement on both so we can compare and see if the R1 is worth the extra or if we should just go R5 II. If the R5 II is stacked, then the R1 will have to have some serious juice. I am deciding if I sell the R3 or R5 at this point to upgrade.
There are Canon sports photographers that have their own websites. I know one, J. Cable, that actually did post images taken during the past summer Olympics in Japan and posted those images on his site (Olympic galleries) noting that they were taken with Canon's new camera. EXIF data removed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
There are Canon sports photographers that have their own websites. I know one, J. Cable, that actually did post images taken during the past summer Olympics in Japan and posted those images on his site (Olympic galleries) noting that they were taken with Canon's new camera. EXIF data removed.
Some EXIF data was in the images he uploaded, such as the camera model and the image dimensions, which showed the R3 is a 24 MP camera, see this post on CR and dpreview.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
But not from me.
I'll stay with my R6m2 for this season. ;)
I'll just wait for some real specs. If they don't bring what I want, I'll still have the choice between two great cameras, R3 or R5.
Meanwhile, if the specs are, as I expect, juicy, like you I'll keep using my reliable 5 DIV and R.
No hurry, present gear won't stop working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 28, 2012
I’m a bit perplexed that we went from “all eyes on the R1” to the R5 Mark II taking center stage in rumors. I’m looking forward to the new R5, but I wonder if there was some unforeseen delay with the R1. I would imagine that it’s no longer possible to hit that Olympic Games target unless there is a very short announcement/launch window? I don’t believe very many photographers there will take an unproven camera to the Olympics without enough time in hand to familiarize themselves with how it works and set up/test network operations.
Well Fro had some info about the imminent release of the Canon R1...

Fro Knows Photo R1 Release...

;)

cayenne

• Haha
Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
Canon was (arguably) late to bring full frame mirrorless bodies than they could or should have been. The RP/R were seen as stop-gap options but are still available for sale today 5 years later.
Canon leapfrog the competition with the release of the R5/R6 with Sony (and later Nikon with the Z9/Z8) fighting back a couple of years later.
Frankly, the R5 was bleeding edge and the reviewers hung Canon up to dry on overheating limits with only 3 of the video options. These have since been basically ironed out or given the option of the R5C for unlimited video.
Sony still doesn't have an option for 8k raw recording even in the A1 at 50% price premium which was one of the video modes!

Good competition is great for shooters at the end of the day.

Canon has 10 R bodies and heaps of RF lenses (plus their remaining EF lenses) within 5 years of release of R mount. Many of the RF lenses are unique with no comparable option from Sony/Nikon. Sony/Nikon have some great lenses that Canon hasn't got and we have no idea Canon will release equivalents.

Currently the reviewers have their knickers in a twist about 3rd party lenses... they have to have at least one thing to complain about Canon.
And it seems that you have an opinion that doesn't match the facts.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I think you need to look up what rumor means, then re-read what you just wrote.
A rumor, or rumour, is "a tall tale of explanations of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern." In the social sciences, a rumor involves a form of a statement whose veracity is not quickly or ever confirmed.

The rumor mill has once again become a ghost town...
If we had to guess, we think a May announcement will make the most sense...
We did have some major news about the EOS R5 Mark II to publish last week, but we were told to hold the information at the last minute and hope we can move forward later this week.

Hard to provide much in the way of comments about the OP "rumour".
Happy to contribute to a "would you be happy if a R5ii announcement happened in May with delivery in June/July?"
To which I would respond with "not applicable to me but I am interested in some point of time in the future if the ergonomics are identical to the R5".

Upvote 0
A rumor, or rumour, is "a tall tale of explanations of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern." In the social sciences, a rumor involves a form of a statement whose veracity is not quickly or ever confirmed.

The rumor mill has once again become a ghost town...
If we had to guess, we think a May announcement will make the most sense...
We did have some major news about the EOS R5 Mark II to publish last week, but we were told to hold the information at the last minute and hope we can move forward later this week.

Hard to provide much in the way of comments about the OP "rumour".
Happy to contribute to a "would you be happy if a R5ii announcement happened in May with delivery in June/July?"
To which I would respond with "not applicable to me but I am interested in some point of time in the future if the ergonomics are identical to the R5".
I'm not sure what abomination of a source you decide to use, but you managed to find a horrible definition.

Doubly confounding to me (despite holding two masters degrees, one of which is an MAS-IA in a social science) is why you'd include a social sciences reference.

A rumor is simply a report without a discernible, or verified source.

Given that information, and going back to what you originally posted...
so the only comment should be…
don’t buy a new camera until a few more months or get a great camera for a big discount now if you need one

Otherwise specific nda in place for real information until someone slips up on a retail website with hard info.

Until then.. sounds like gossip about hearsay masquerading as a rumour :cool:
All I'm pointing out is that the above is a little inane, given the entire point of this website.

You don't like the rumor? Ok, but again... the entire point of this place is getting ahead of official release information.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I'm not sure what abomination of a source you decide to use, but you managed to find a horrible definition.
Doubly confounding to me (despite holding two masters degrees, one of which is an MAS-IA in a social science) is why you'd include a social sciences reference.
You will be arguing that Websters vs Oxford vs are equally wrong or right depending on what you are trying to point out.
I have also attained 2 masters degrees... I'm sure that others in the group have doctorates but I am not sure that it helps generate better commentary here.

All I'm pointing out is that the above is a little inane, given the entire point of this website.
Yes, Canon rumours is inane and so was my post. The OP didn't really give us anything to comment on except to say that they had information but couldn't share it.
You don't like the rumor? Ok, but again... the entire point of this place is getting ahead of official release information.
I have no opinion about the rumour. It doesn't affect where I am at in my equipment cycle. Getting information early might be the genesis of the website but isn't really the point IMHO... It might help some buying decisions but otherwise it is just a way to spitball ideas and share experiences.

Upvote 0