Search results

1. S

Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

Yes a grip would be good. Maybe even have it’s own slim battery. When you need it you have it, when you wanna save a few ounces leave it behind.
  2. S

Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

Some good points thanks Richard. I lived in HK for 5 years (till 2022) but always found ways to get past any luggage checks. In fact it was a post on CR which I used (not in Asia) with an airline when they said they wanted to put my camera bag in the hold. “that’s fine, but the equipment is...
  3. S

Don’t expect any third-party autofocus lenses in the near future

First of all totally agree Canon is a business and will do whatever it feels is the best course to maximise profits. Also agree that any company has a right to protect their patents. I’d be interested to know whether Canon has created the RF patents in such a way to make it nigh impossible to...
  4. S

Canon Successfully Develops the World’s First 1-megapixel SPAD Sensor

Canon released a full article on it via their global site just recently https://global.canon/en/technology/spad-sensor-2021.html but the announcement between epfl and canon was a year ago.
  5. S

Atomos brings 8K 30p ProRes RAW to the Canon EOS R5 with the Ninja V+

Yep correct. When the r5 came out last year there was speculation and my research concluded the same as you. 2.1 as was stated was too new in comparison to when most of the hardware for the r5 was concluded. Given that Canon are doing it, then I’m confident the v+ will support it after the...
  6. S

R5 detailed lens testing of RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 vs. RF 800 f11, with & without RF 1.4x TC, for super-telephoto use.

John and Alan, amazing work, meticulous focus on comparing the lenses in a fair way. Thanks for the hard work, intellectual work and sharing it in an easily digestible format. For me, this is the sort of comparative reviews which are really informative about making purchases. I wish review...
  7. S

Canon will soon announce the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I concur with some earlier comments - the 400mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 are likely their best selling big whites - DO lenses will follow but not as a priority - I do love my 300mm but I also know I probably use it less than other big whites - I think Canon like others have invested a lot of...
  8. S

Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

I agree, but it wouldn’t be onerous to overlay lfn alongside dcf. Heck even a simple text file would suffice... Maintain standards but offer user friendlInes or better still overhaul something which is a little outdated.
  9. S

Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

That’s interesting. How does that compare to your use on higher bitrate modes?
  10. S

I read back when the r5 was released that deli in had to change their firmware as Canon had done something a little different (not wrong), so they tweaked theirs to adjust. I had problems with cfe reader, also firmware. Not had chance to test the, much, but now with this update I might revisit...
  11. S

Totally agree. plus file names can only be 8 characters.
  12. S

You’d think that they could be consistent. Canon Asia site does mention the save function as i posted above and the Raw lite. Oh lah. the other benefit of save function is multiple conf beyond the c1-c3, have as many configs as you want...
  13. S

He got the info from Canon UK. they gave him the firmware early to review it along with an r5 agree there was no timeline.
  14. S

The video review says R6 will get c-log 3 at a later date.
  15. S

Canon asía says the R5 gets raw light and the ability to save config settings to memory card like the 1 series
  16. S

Minimum spec PC and graphics card for Canon R5 video

well I was more interested in the XE gpu as that’s more flexible option for those who don’t want an Intel cpu agreed you need the software support
  17. S

Oh ok, stand corrected. But the XE gpu also has that feature, so if it is sold discreet then it will also provide a possible option for AMD cpu owners
  18. S

Just to add. Blackmagic states support in 17.1 for intel cpu for hevc - essentially those which have the new xe or dg1 graphics. At the moment, Intel is making the chip available to oems as a discrete gpu and therefore not required to have an Intel cpu. Alas these are not available to purchase...
  19. S

But does 12 bit support infer 10bit?
  20. S

Here are some crazy Canon EOS R1 specifications [CR0]

Exactly my thoughts. Divide the MP by 4 due to someone not understanding quad pixel and you get the sort of resolution we might expect...