Search results

1. S

Are the latest "updates" intended to keep EF on life support?

Purely for the sake of my curiosity, how much better are the Otis primes versus the Canon versions? Sharpness: Speaking of sharpness in today's world means sharpness right into the corners. Are Canon behind in this regard? Aberration control: Fringing/flare/ghosting etc Contrast/punch: Are...
  2. S

Astrophotography - The Bug Has Bitten

The RRs stuff are truly droolworthy but as they dont allow for reselling in my country (South Africa), I cannot bring myself to purchase any of their wares. In terms of what the geared head does, I really enjoy it. As I find that shooting off of a tripod along with the movement of the geared...
  3. S

Hi Steve :) Those panos look pretty seamless (and sweet!) if you ask me :) I'm beginning to think I should start using LightRoom more, I'm more or less exclusively using Photoshop. Thank you for the advise, I'll definitely take it
  4. S

Thank you Keith :) I will do research on your suggestions and build my own editing style for astro I haven't been this excited about a new genre in a while
  5. S

i'll download the free version over the weekend and give it a run. If good enough, the paid version will be a birthday gift to me from me :P
  6. S

I'm making notes! Perhaps I should see if I can get a test copy from my retailer before plumbing down for one And it looks more like a dodo than a kiwi to me =))
  7. S

Hi Joules :) Thank you for the feedback I also did about a 30 image pano but with my 6D and 16-35 f/4.0 so I'm thinking if you were able to correct so well in the Adaptive Wide Angle module, it's perhaps the best place for me to start I will download the other software too and see what works...
  8. S

Another consideration is that I already own 3 lenses (24mm TS-E, 16-35 & 24-70) that do 24mm. Would I want to add another 24mm to the mix? I could potentially use the 14mm for interiors too ???
  9. S

Hi Keith :) I also am totally besotted with my geared head. What I find funny is that the majority of landscape users who use ballheads, don't seem to have any idea of just how awesome geared heads are! Your image, I noticed you shot wider than I did, 14mm vs 16mm. Was this a single image...
  10. S

Hi Don :) Cool image! How did you manage to get your image so rectangular? I did a 5x4 pano (for experimentation purposes) and ended up with a weird shape. It wasn't only the shape that bothered me but also the 'bunching' of the stars at the top of the frame and I wasn't sure how to process...
  11. S

I'm definitely into the wide angle variety, where I can capture some foreground and some sky. That being said, I will try and delve into all the various disciplines. I'm more and more looking to one of either the Samyang 14mm or 24mm but TDP's review of the 14mm says it is soft until stopped...
  12. S

My current destiny is diabetes and angina....lol I'm gonna throw some astro into the mix ;D
  13. S

Fair advice, thank you The facilitator gave us briefings on stacking, panos etc so I thought I'm out here in the dark, let me try my hand at the panos too Hmmmm....so maybe I should save up for that 14mm :P
  14. S

So this weekend past, I attended an astrophotography workshop with my camera club. And I loved it! I have a few questions though and I hope you guys can give me some advice please :) Editing Software We got loads of advise as to what software should be used but as I'm a Windows user, most...
  15. S

50mm or 85mm?

Hi Nancy P :) I'm looking to delve into portraiture and looking for a lens that will allow me to knock the background out altogether My logic is telling me that a 85mm would be the right selection but I'm concerned about redundancy due to 85mm being close to 100mm
  16. S

50mm or 85mm?

Ha! Point taken but difficult to use a 400mm in a small environ or studio =))
  17. S

50mm or 85mm?

So I already own (and love!) the Canon 100m f/2.8 L IS but I'm weighing up adding a bokeh monster to my kit bag too Thing is, I would prefer the 85mm but it is so close in focal length to the 100mm which had me thinking of considering a 50mm. Which way would you guys go if you already own a...
  18. S

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

I have a Lowepro Messenger that I pack one of two ways Macro: 100mm L & MP-E65 Landscapes: 16-35 f4 & 24-70 f2.8 (I occasionally throw in the 70-200 f4 as well :P)
  19. S

MT 26EXRT first impression

Thank you Zeidora I'll printout the above to read and re-read until everything sinks in. I've a feeling that moving from the RingLite to the Twin Lite will improve my macro images substantially Once again, thank you for the feedback
  20. S

MT 26EXRT first impression

Hi Zeidora :) I'm in process of saving up for the MT26, which I hope to purchase come November/December. What's your take on it now that you own the unit for 6months plus? Is it an improvement and if so, is it a substantial one? I am particularly interested in how it can be diffused. Does one...