Search results

1. bholliman

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

The specs look nice. Not sure if I like the idea of a new mount, but they did succeed in making the entire package much smaller as the images side by side with the 5DIV and lenses show. I'll be interested to see the reviews on this. I'm happy with my current equipment, but will probably be...
  2. bholliman

TCSTV’s Chris and Jordan Hired By DPReview (Amazon)

LOL, I'm sure DPR would not have considered them if they weren't pro- Sony.
  3. bholliman

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

Bird in flight with the 50mm STM! When you ask photographers for their favorite bird in flight lens, this one would never make the conversation, 50mm is almost always too short and the focus by wire on this little STM lens not the quickest in Canon's arsenal. But, it sufficed in this...
  4. bholliman

Lens for Crater Lake NP

I can't really give any useful advice since I was using a point and shoot camera the only time we visited Crater Lake National Park in 2009 or 2010. Its a beautiful location! The Pacific Northwest if probably my favorite part of the USA, so many diverse environments in a fairly small area...
  5. bholliman

Venus Optics Announces the Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D, the World’s Widest f/2.8 Lens for APS-C Mirrorle

Re: Venus Optics Announces the Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D, the World’s Widest f/2.8 Lens for APS-C Mirr The Rokinon 12mm f/2 is terrific for astro on my M5! I can't comment on the Laowa.
  6. bholliman

Advice for renting a lens for Yellowstone

My comments on it taking some time to learn how to shoot with a long prime were primarily in reference to photographing birds in flight. Slow moving bears and other large mammals are much easier to shoot. If you have experience with your 300 and extenders, a 500 f/4 won't be that much...
  7. bholliman

The 300 f/2.8 II is excellent with extenders. I haven't been able to talk my wife into agreeing to me buying a 500 f/4 II or 600 f/4 II (yet), so all my wildlife photography is with the 300 and 1.4x and 2.0x III extenders - 80% of the time with the 2x for birds. Mine is very sharp with a...
  8. bholliman

Review: Canon EOS M50 by Cinema5D

The Canon exec's clear state that cost of more full featured 4k video was one of the primary considerations for not including it in the M50. For less than $800 USD, this camera can't have all the technical bells and whistles of higher end cameras. I don't doubt that Canon has the capability...
  9. bholliman

This is excellent advice if you don't have experience with any long primes. I've rented 600 f/4 II's and 500 f/4 II's on several occasions for birds and raptors and my success on my initial rentals wasn't good. And that was after using a 300 with extenders previously. Long primes do take...
  10. bholliman

We visited Yellowstone NP for 5 days back in 2012. At that time I had a 550D, EF-S 18-55 and 55-250mm. 250mm on a crop (400mm FF equivalent) was definitely not enough reach for wildlife. I cropped most of my wildlife shots pretty heavily. Yes, you will get some close-up wildlife encounters...
  11. bholliman

5DSR II?

+1 I have used a 5D MkII', the 5DsR is a huge upgrade in every respect. Its kind of a 5D Mk3.5 with a 50mp sensor. Moving from a 5D MkIII and 6D to a 5DsR, I found the ability to crop to be substantial as well. This is especially useful for bird and wildlife images where you can't get close...
  12. bholliman

5DSR II?

Thanks for sharing! Its good to see a balanced evaluation that isn't just based on specs and hearsay. The Sony hype-machine is certainly running at full speed in the photography media. Please see the comments from Talys in the post prior to yours.
  13. bholliman

Is there a better way to switch between BR strap and tripod?

+1 I love Peak Design's strap system, it allows for very quick/easy strap changes. I have a slide I use for my 5DsR and a leash and cuff I used on my M5. I have a Black Rapid curve strap I still use occasionally, but the PD straps are used 95% of the time.
  14. bholliman

5DSR II?

I agree. Personally, I don't see what all the buzz is over mirrorless bodies. They have a few advantages and more disadvantages when compared with DSLR's for what I shoot. I keep up with the news and reviews with interest, but I'm very happy with my current gear and am not remotely tempted to...
  15. bholliman

OpticalLimits reviews the Canon EF-M 18-55 STM IS and EF-M 55-200mm STM IS

I owned all 5 of the EF-M zoom lenses for several months last year and decided to just keep the 18-150. I loved the 11-22, but sold it in favor of a Rokinon 12mm f/2 since about the only UWA shooting I was doing with my M5 was astro. I may reacquire an 11-22 at some point if I start doing...
  16. bholliman

Why no APS-C "Holy Trinity"?

+1, at least I hope so since my two cameras are full frame and EF-M mount.
  17. bholliman

Why no APS-C "Holy Trinity"?

I would like to see more fixed aperture EF-S zooms as well, but I don't think its going to happen. As you pointed out, the only fixed aperature zoom is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, which is a nice lens, but getting a little long in the tooth. The APS-C UWA zooms and tele zooms are all variable...
  18. bholliman

Is Canon 5D Mark II Refurbished Still Have Its Position in 2018?

That price is crazy in 2018! You can still make great images with a 5D MkII, but for $1759 there are many, many better options with more current technology and features. I agree with Aglet and Don that the 6D Mk II is a much better deal. I buy lots of Canon refurb gear, but always wait for...
  19. bholliman

Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications

+1 For a stills shooter, there isn't anything here apparently improved over the M5 other than a full tilt/swivel LCD. For video, yeah, looks like a nice upgrade.
  20. bholliman

Patent: 20x Zoom Optical Formula for 1\

I've experimented with the super zoom P&S cameras in stores and wonder who is buying them. Sure, you can zoom in to the FF equivalent of 1000mm, but with a small sensor and relatively slow zoom lens, the light gathered will be limited and resulting image quality poor in direct sunlight and...