Search results

1. Harley

Nifty 50 or Shorty 40?

Find a good condition Canon FL or FD 55mm f/1.2 and get the EdMika conversion kit (eBay). You'll have an incredible, inexpensive, fast lens that you won't want to take off your camera body.
  2. Harley

what utter crap this is.... samyang 24mm TS

+1 I have the EdMika 35mm f/2.8 TS and it's fantastic! You can't beat the compact, all-metal build of the old FD lenses either. Ed's conversion kit is really easy to install and it's entirely reversible if you want to take the lens back to original.
  3. Harley

What lenses do you own?

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L (second most-used lens) Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 w/ Ed Mika conversion kit (my absolute favorite lens, on the camera 90% of the time) Sigma DG EX 24-70mm f/2.8 (good all-purpose but looking to replace with a Canon EF 24-70 or 24-105) Canon FD Tilt-Shift 35mm f/2.8 w/ Ed Mika...
  4. Harley

In Sympathy for CR Guy

Craig, so sorry for your loss.
  5. Harley

FL 55mm 1.2 or FD 50mm 1.2L?

I love the FL 55mm. It's an absolute pleasure to shoot with. Right now I've got a shot from this lens in the Gura Gear World of COLOR contest: http://bit.ly/HanHZZ It is a 15 sec exposure of the MAX train in Portland, Oregon. P.S. Consider "liking" the Gura Gear page and vote for my photo...
  6. Harley

Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 (Ed Mika Conversion)

My photo is in the Gura Gear World of COLOR contest: http://bit.ly/HanHZZ This is shot with the Ed Mika adapted FL 55mm f/1.2 lens. It is a 15 sec exposure of the MAX train in Portland, Oregon. I discovered both Ed Mika and Gura Gear here on Canon Rumors. Please "like" the Gura Gear page...
  7. Harley

Anyone shooting film?

After many years without film, I am back into it. I still have my Canon Rebel 2000 and recently acquired a Mamiya M645 1000S. I wish I had gotten into medium format years ago but better late than never! Yeah, not to mention the costs for software, memory, printers & ink, etc! Shooting film...
  8. Harley

Travel tripod help!!

FYI, I got a Benro C-2691 off eBay from a Chinese seller named "Coobuy." I was a little nervous but got a recommendation from wickidwombat and took a chance. It was the right decision. The product is the real deal, worldwide shipping was available and not expensive (about $20), and it came...
  9. Harley

Travel tripod help!!

This string might be helpful... http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,2487.msg76313.html#msg76313
  10. Harley

Travel tripod help!!

I was in the same boat as you. I'm a backpacker and traveler. After getting advice from a bunch of CR forum members, I got the Benro C2691-TB1 Travel Angel off eBay as well. It's a great deal on a great tripod! The TB-1 ballhead is even quite usable. I can put an old all-metal FD 300mm...
  11. Harley

Going Beyond 300mm... for the birds

Nice! That's a bazooka!
  12. Harley

Going Beyond 300mm... for the birds

Another option on a budget is to find a reasonably priced FD supertele and get an EDMika adapter to make it EF. http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/fd-fl-lenses-on-your-ef-body/ Great IQ, great build quality (albeit heavier). No AF or IS, but also at a total cost of 15-30% of the...
  13. Harley

EdMika relaunch of FL 55mm 1.2 EOS brass conversion kit

FYI, I lost a ball bearing when putting on the new FL 55mm adapter -- I sure was glad to have that spare!
  14. Harley

Recommend me a lens that's better/more useful than a 50mm lens

Yes, as scrappydog indicated, Ed Mika is the only source for this adapter (which has no glass optics -- it's purely an engineered brass replacement for the FL 55mm's breach lock mount). He is currently only selling on eBay. Ed is an excellent seller and will do everything to make sure you get...
  15. Harley

UPDATE: The T-60-1 telephoto hood works great to control flare but I have noticed occassionally that it affects the light metering, so I have switched to using the standard S-60 hood more often.
  16. Harley

Recommend me a lens that's better/more useful than a 50mm lens

Since you're using a 7D, I would recommend looking for a Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 and get the EdMika FL 55mm brass adapter. Search this forum for EdMika and you'll see photos and comments from people using it. Also here's a link to one thread...
  17. Harley

EdMika Adapters; the less fun side of selling

I just check it, too, and it shows 100% positive feedback, as it should be.
  18. Harley

Ha! Yeah, what would we do with out Canadians whittling brass... Nice shot!
  19. Harley

EdMika Adapters; the less fun side of selling

Ed, That's terrible and unfair. You've been an absolute pleasure to deal with, especially when CanadaPost was making things difficult for everyone. Glad you vented rather than let this stew. It has nothing to do with you and I don't even think your tone was out of line in anyway. This guy...
  20. Harley

Selling 5D mk ll. Reasonable price?

I agree with ereka, too. Sounds about right.