Search results

1. P

What is 20,000 shutter clicks worth?

I guess if you wanted to put a dollar figure on it the extra is about 6% of the rated count. Not sure exactly what a replacement shutter costs but if say $500 then it would be 'worth' $30.
  2. P

What am I doing wrong???

+1, looking at those images given the position of the focus points I'd say that's the case. 5D3 allows the focus point to be easily be moved with the joystick so the total auto-selection modes are an abomination in my opinion.
  3. P

Connect DSLR to PC/Projector wireless

Someone asked me about this for at engagement party and I just said my gear was set to take high-quality RAW photos that weren't compatible with projectors ;). Reality is it would have just been a distraction for me and without vetting to some degree you're likely to put up a few OOF / wrongly...
  4. P

at what shutter speed you turn IS off?

Actually that wouldn't suprise me for a lot of animals, for example from Wikipedia "Bats that can detect 200 kHz cannot hear very well below 10 kHz". Mice are shown at 1 to 70 kHz and there are many other examples at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range. According to the following page the...
  5. P

Very soft audio w external mike of EOD 5D3

I'm far from an audio expert, but wouldn't the DR-100 if it's pro product possibly inject DC power over the XLR connector? Mt Spokane could well be correct on the battery, I've had few new duds, plus possibly the mic is faulty and only works when line powered. Could also be a signficant...
  6. P

Nikon sells a lineup of crop primes, why not Canon?

I used to be a Canon fanboy, the mirror actuation kept me somewhat cool, but I've since found a combination of vanes and a DC motor is both more effective and economical.
  7. P

Best HDR Software?

I've never actually used it for HDR (it does other stuff as well) but PhotoAcute has a demo (watermarked) version if anyone's interested in trying it: http://www.photoacute.com/studio/index.html The pro version (which you need for a DSLR) is $149 although by submitting a new camera / lens...
  8. P

Tempted to upgrade my 7D to a 5D2 to open up wider indoor shots

I've made that upgrade and low-light ISO and IQ in general is much better. It sounds like you desire the wider field of view you'll get, so the main other thing you may miss is a good spread of AF points. Controls are somewhat different to the 7D (which is better in that regard) but not really...
  9. P

Inside the Canon EOS-1D C

Agree with you on the first point and being a non-profit group of volunteers even though legally I can't think of any leg Canon would have to stand on of course any lawsuit even without merit can cost stacks to defend. But "no respect for IP" makes no sense at all to me. Even the DMCA which is...
  10. P

EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x Production to Begin in Q2

I was thinking the same, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. It's also at a point where you could get both ends of the focal range at f/2.8 with a prime for less.
  11. P

Sigma Launches the Sigma USB DOCK

What they should do is have the option of a toggle switch on the data line and a debounced pushbutton on the clock line to make it OS agnostic.
  12. P

Press shutter once to take picture, it stays closed, press again and it opens

I always use live-view myself and the self-timer if not using a release. The thread just reminded me I saw the following vid on YouTube of a 5D shutter in operation filmed at 2000fps I thought was fairly interesting: Slow motion camera shutter - Canon 5D 2,000 fps
  13. P

Yep fair point, and I guess in Canon's case they already know likely incompatibilities in advance unlike 3rd parties that need to react / reverse-engineer changes later if previously unused commands are used.
  14. P

I don't have any Sigma lenses but reading this made me think it was odd that Canon have never had a way to update the lens firmware through the body. Just taking a look though I see they've added that ability for the 5D3 and later :).
  15. P

Total File Size - All Your Images and Keep or Delete

I've always assumed pros do it that way for the reasons you mention, plus buying multiple card readers is pretty economical if you want to download a few CF cards at the same time. And they are often swapping multiple cards anyway for redundancy / capacity reasons. Being an amateur I'm not too...
  16. P

5DmkII and Live View

I don't think Av changes the ISO unless you have it set to auto-ISO. I can't remember the default but you probably have that set for Av?
  17. P

TS-E 24mm II + 2x Mk III Extender

Thanks my bad, I'd missed a MP - E65 had come into the equation and was wondering how an extender could increase the magnification of a TS lens 7 or 10x relative to original magnification.
  18. P

I've never owned a tilt-shift lens but did you mind explaining how the magnification increases that much rather than just 1.4 or 2x?
  19. P

The combination isn't officially support by Canon, but a cut & paste from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Extender_EF: Though not specified by Canon as such, users have reported that the tilt-shift lenses in Canon's line-up can also be used with the extenders. However, when used with an...
  20. P

Did you use a UV filter on 70-200 f2.8L IS (I or II) during its last use? (Poll)

That's another technique I use often. It works like a compound eye and apart from an increased angle of view I find sometimes I can detect the light polarisation and later post-process, instead of carrying around an expensive CP that of course also loses some stops of light.