Search results

1. P

24-70 versus 24-105 AF performance

I've got a 24-70 f/2.8L (original version) and I've been thinking about a 'cross-grade' to a 24-105 f/4L. With a crop I used to use it a lot for portraits but since moving to FF (now own a 5D3) I normally use a 70-200 for that and 24-70 only gets used at f/4 or above most of the time anyway and...
  2. P

5D3 and odd problem focusing telescope

I just bought a cheap 2nd hand Dobsonian 6" telescope with a T-mount and Canon adapter. Anyway just set it up during daylight hours to have a play around and all fine through the eye-piece but couldn't get anything to focus through the camera. So I pushed the focuser on the telescope in so the...
  3. P

Legal question on photography

I'm thinking of going to a cricket test match at Bellerive (Tasmania, Australia) a bit later in the year and was just checking Bellerive has the same 200mm lens limit as elsewhere, which it does. I noticed in the terms & conditions of entry that you can't publish photos anywhere and it...
  4. P

Infrared reflectivity

Not really a photography question but I know there's a few optical wizards about so thought I'd post away :). I'm working on a system that uses a 850 +/- 10 nm infrared photodiode and what I'd like is an easy way to bench test the device. It'll be illuminated and if it worked in the visible...
  5. P

Eye-fi card and 5D3 experiences

Hope this isn't a dupe but all threads I found regarding the 5D3 and Eye-fi were when the Mk 3 was either speculation or had just been released. I wondered a few months out how users found the combination? The Canon WFT is a bit expensive for my amateur use but I'm considering one of these...
  6. P

5D mark II versus 7D spot focus

I bought a 7D a while back over a 5D II and my main reasons at the time were the more advanced autofocus system plus higher fps. I'm an amateur but now I'm finding myself more confident I rarely take the camera out of manual, tend to meter based on a point of interest and for focus just about...
  7. P

Filter for direct sun photography

In a few months they'll be a partial eclipse visible here in Tasmania and I'd like to take a few snaps of it. I don't want to fork out too much for the excercise so will be using my existing 7D + 70-200 + 2x TC but don't mind buying a filter which I'm sure I'll find other uses for. While I don't...