Search results

1. Wrathwilde

DxO Optics Pro adds support for Canon's 1D X

Read the article (glorified press release) over at imaging resource. Additions include a total of 396 new lens modules, of which some 224 are specific to newly-added cameras: 106 for the Canon EOS-1D X. This means that DXO mark testing for the 1D X has probably been complete for some time, will...
  2. Wrathwilde

Question - Auto focus speeds & Battery Grips

Does the added battery in the battery grips help drive the autofocus faster in the 7d & 5d3? Tried searching google but just came up with noise that didn't answer the question, just had all the search words. Anybody know if the grips help drive the lenses any faster?
  3. Wrathwilde

Apple Announces new MacBook Pro with retina display...

No Optical Drive, modeled after the Air. It's got a Retina display; 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch. (My 27" iMac only has 2560x1440) Memory 8GB std, up to 16GB. (an upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is only $200) ;D cheap by...
  4. Wrathwilde

One area the 5D3 beats the D800...

It seems the 5D3 beats the D800 (and the 5D2) in it's anti-aliasing. You'll notice the 5D3 image is just about perfect, the 5D2, D800 and the A900 all show problems, phantom vertical or horizontal lines that seem to cut through the pattern. Red arrows show the problem areas. The image is...
  5. Wrathwilde

1D X RAW Images Available Now...

Here they are. The 12800 looks pretty amazing. #53 is at 3200 #54 is at 6400 #63 is at 12800
  6. Wrathwilde

Light Leaks, do Nikon bodies suffer from this too?

Just wondering if anybody here also owns a Nikon body, and if they behave similarly. Not looking for a fight, or a Nikon is better thread, just wondering. I'll still be picking up a 5D3 or 1D X, I just haven't decided which yet.
  7. Wrathwilde

Main site formatting problems in Safari

Wondering if anyone else is having problems with the main site in Safari. The forum continues to look like it always has in Safari, but the main site seems to have lost it's formatting in Safari 5.1.4. Firefox still displays the main site fine, and Safari continues to display the rest of the...
  8. Wrathwilde

What's the US warranty on the 5D3? I can't find it online.

Title says it all. Looked all over, B&H, Andromeda, Amazon, Canon's site, etc... 1/2 just say "USA warranty", but none of them say how long the warranty is good for.
  9. Wrathwilde

Mother of God - D800 scores 95 DxOMark

Making it the Highest Rated Sensor they've tested. Impressive! Don't Let us down Canon. Nikon D800 Overall Score - 95 Color Depth - 25.3 bits Dynamic Range - 14.4 Low Light ISO - 2853 This is killing me, I think Canon's going to lose this round big. I'm not jumping ship though...
  10. Wrathwilde

Skewed diagonal lines, dpr studio shots with D4, 5D2, 1D4... not on 7D, D800

Odd image skewing in dpr's studio scene comparison. If you move the image view portion to the black and white pinwheel located directly below the images center cross point you will notice that on most sensors, including the D4 and the Canon 5DMk2 that some of the spines of the wheel are skewed...
  11. Wrathwilde

MTF Charts, Lenses, and Crop Sensors... a question.

Since MTF Charts are from the center of the lens to the outer edges and Canon usually shows their lenses out to about 22mm from center, am I right in assuming that a FF sensor (36mm across) would only be applicable to about the 18mm portion of the MTF chart, and a crop sensor, say the 7D's...
  12. Wrathwilde

Canon EOS-1D X Available at B&H for Preorder

"From B&H We have just been informed that B&H Photo has the new flagship Canon EOS-1D X available for preorder with the official price of $6799. Shipping is expected to begin the last week of April, 2012. Canon EOS-1D X Available for Preorder Preorder at B&H now for $6799" I notice that...
  13. Wrathwilde

Rumored 10 new lenses, 5 of which (CR) mentioned...

The other 5 though... What are the chances we'll see a new 85mm f/1.2L, and a new 135mm f/2L? I realize that the 85mm f/1.2L II is only 6 years old, but looking at the MTF chart - I think Canon could do astoundingly better today if it wanted to... not only with the image quality (chromatic...
  14. Wrathwilde

600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT Review (HSS works on reviewers 5D2 up to 1/8000sec)

Check out the review here... http://pixsylated.com/blog/canon-600ex-rt-first-impressions/ Some observations from the review.... 1. High Speed Sync supported for 1D X and 5D3 (but also worked on the reviewers 5D2 all the way to 1/8000sec) 2. Tested to a Range of 100m (340') worked flawlessly in...
  15. Wrathwilde

With all the heated arguments lately, I think we can all appreciate this....

Link to xkcd comic. Personally, I think she needs a 1D X. Moderators - Not sure where to put this, please feel free to move if there is a section that's more appropriate.
  16. Wrathwilde

Poll regarding the lack of f/8 autofocus in the 1D X. Please - EVERYBODY Vote!

As it states, this poll is asking everybody to vote. Do You Currently Own an Extender and Telephoto Lens that would be affected or Not. Plans for a future purchase do not count, this is only to get an idea of how many of you would be affected if you were given a 1D X today. If you do own an...
  17. Wrathwilde

Could Fuji's new X-Trans CMOS processor be the end of Bayer Sensors?

Fuji's new X-Trans CMOS Processor eliminates moire and false colors. The new X-Trans CMOS Processor in the X-Pro1 seems like an elegant solution, no need for low pass, anti-aliasing filters. The images look pretty sharp. I haven't been able to detect any chromatic aberrations in the images...