Search results

1. D

Canon Patent Application: Automated Tilt Movements

Just to clarify your terms, technically, tilt is adjusting the focus plane along the vertical axis, and swing is doing the same along the horizontal axis. However, because the original photo instruments to use this concept most effectively were typically monorail "view cameras" with very...
  2. D

Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z to be announced this week

If the picture accompanying this article is real, there isn't a chance that I'd get this lens, even if it was great in every quality category. Because: size and weight. It looks to be too big and too heavy for its intended role. The existing lenses in this segment are the 24-105 f4.0, the 24-70...
  3. D

Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

The idea that autofocus for TS lenses is a great feature is nearly idiotic unless the autofocus they employ takes into account the changes in the plane of focus manipulation afforded by these lenses. The use of TS lenses requires a slow and careful tuning of the tilting “front standard”. To...
  4. D

Canon releases their full 2020 financials, beat expectations

I don't think the A1 will affect the sales of the R5 and R6 very much at all. First, the differences in the cameras (R5 and A1) specs are really very small. One can easily argue, for instance, that the R5's video specs are actually better than those of the A1. 4:2:2, full DCI resolution and...
  5. D

Adorama puts an expected arrival date on the Canon EOS R5 body

I ordered mine from Adorama on July 23, even though I was convinced to buy the night of the official announcement; I waited until my older gear sale was confirmed before ordering. The October 20 date is consistent with what I had been told by Adorama before. Of course, I am not happy about it...
  6. D

Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

Please indicate silly, sarcastic, and otherwise ridiculous comments with symbols or other indicators noting your un-seriousness for those of us who are otherwise left with no idea of what you could possibly believe. Thanks.
  7. D

8K Cinema RAW Light coming to the EOS R5 confirmed by Apple?

Although, the site's author clearly assume that there is a direct link between the Apple announcement and the rumored R5 firmware update - something for which no direct evidence yet exists - I think that the real issue we'd like to know is, even if all of the assumptions are correct, does the...
  8. D

Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT replacement coming soon [CR2]

I think it would be pretty easy to improve the 600 RT. First, add the option of using 4AA's or a more powerful long lasting rechargeable Lithium Ion battery. Second, include an internally stored retractable, rotatable and extendable articulated arm to enable the flash head to be extended to a...
  9. D

What if Canon were no longer #1?

First a little history. I started out, in the 1970's, as a committed amateur photographer, scrimping like mad to purchase a Canon FTb and then an F-1, plus a few basic lenses (the budget Canon 35mm f/3.5 was a favorite). They were both great cameras, especially the F-1. Even then Canon's...
  10. D

What if Canon were no longer #1?

+1
  11. D

New Tilt Shift Lenses to be 45mm, 90mm, 135mm [CR2]

I never said anything was wrong with it. What I said was that there was a "rule of thumb" for 35mm film or "full frame" camera sensor cameras, and that there is one, is incontrovertible. For many decades - nearly a century, that rule of thumb was that portraits were best shot with lens focal...
  12. D

New Tilt Shift Lenses to be 45mm, 90mm, 135mm [CR2]

Well, as a professional product (and people and architecture) photographer for about 40 years (and still very busy working), I can tell you that - surprise - a 135mm TS-E lens would probably offer the most "natural" perspective of any other possible focal length. Most people, because of the...
  13. D

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed for 2017 [CR3]

Couldn't help myself Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I've been a serious user of computers for digital imaging from pretty much before there was any desktop computer for serious digital imaging, since about 1990 or so. Over the years, starting with Macs and various versions of Unix...
  14. D

Product photography recommendations

I am not being flippant or negative when I say that you should probably just hire a real professional to shoot your pictures. If you want to become a professional yourself, rather than be a maker of the products you are selling, then you probably ought to quit your day job and concentrate on...
  15. D

Tips on deterring forcible equipment theft while carrying camera?

As a long-time professional photographer who has been sent, over several decades, into many devastated inner cities by national magazines to visually report on issues affecting communities, as well as to do corporate work in some less "safe" neighborhoods, I have a lot of experience with this...
  16. D

Basic Newbie Studio Lighting Questions

It is impossible to tell you whether your space is sufficient, because of the nearly endless possibilities of the other parameters that could affect your scenario. For example, a very high-mounted key light placed closer to the side than typical would cast its shadows much closer your subjects...
  17. D

150 Filmmakers Ask Canon & Nikon to Sell Encrypted Cameras

This whole thread, populated as it is with well intentioned and technologically astute posters, is still quite truly missing the most important content from the OP. To wit, is it advisable, let alone feasible or likely to be granted, to ask for a camera company to offer a "nearly unbreakable"...
  18. D

Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV by Lensrentals.com

Because I'm in the middle of adding a new computer to my herd, and rotating the other two for different duties, I thought I'd take a break, read CR and do that rare thing, chime in on the forum. Well, like some of the posters here who didn't like the 5D4 (we still love them anyway, right?)...
  19. D

Sigma 85mm vs. 70-200 II

In my opinion, you are quite right about you not missing much, if and when you sold the 85, due to the awesome performance of the Canon (I assume) 70-200 f/2.8 II. One reason you might want to not sell the 85 is the financial loss and the loss of using two camera bodies simultaneously, as in a...