Search results

1. Harv

Coming price increases in Canada for Canon, Nikon and others

As posted in Henry's newsletter..... February 26, 2016 There are many great things about being Canadian, but the ups and downs of the Canadian dollar is not one of them. As you are aware, the value of our dollar has been in sharp decline over the last six months. Some economists have...
  2. Harv

Field review of the new Canon 100-400

I found this on the Canon Europe Professional website this morning..... http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/danny_green_on_ef100_400mm_f45_56l_is_ii_usm_zoom.do
  3. Harv

Nik Software sets the standard for customer service

Nik Software (now owned by Google) has set the standard for customer service. At least in my view they have. I recently contacted them to ask if my original Nik modules (pre-Google days) would be compatible with my new computer's operating system and updated version of Photoshop. They...
  4. Harv

Windows 7 install

Can anyone give me an idea how long it will take to do a 'clean' install of Windows 7 ??? It will be installed on a new machine with an Intel i7 4790 4GHz processor and 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Also, are there any potential pitfalls to be on the lookout for ??? Thanks.
  5. Harv

Canon prevents me from buying the 7D Mark II

I have been a Canon user my entire life. I love the product, including DPP which is my RAW converter of choice. I presently shoot with a 1D Mark IV and a 5D Mark III, which are fully supported by my present version of DPP. The 7D Mark II requires that I update my DPP. Here is my problem with...
  6. Harv

Great 7D II pre-order deal with 24-70 f/4L IS under $2,300 Cdn.

Looks like a super deal..... http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=5115&Category=6
  7. Harv

Have there been any reported issues related to the 70D ?????

I have used a 1D Mark IV since it was introduced as my primary body and have always loved it. Mid last year, I acquired a 5D Mark III and over time have turned to it more and more, to the point that it has now pretty much become my primary body. I simply love the files it produces. I shoot...
  8. Harv

Chinese government orders Nikon to stop selling D600

I didn't see anywhere else to post this so..... http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/nikon-asked-halt-d600-sales-china-scathing-nationally-televised-expose/ A good lesson for manufacturers who won't admit to product problems or deal with the issues properly.
  9. Harv

On a 5D Mark III, when shooting mRAW

On a 5D Mark III, when shooting mRAW, does one give up anything other than resolution? I shoot motocross events most weekends during spring and summer. I have mostly used my 1D Mark IV and have been very happy with results. However, I have had occasion to use my 5D Mark III and notice a...
  10. Harv

Question regarding drop-in circular polarizing filter

Among other things, I shoot a lot of motocross throughout the spring and summer season. Pretty much most weekends. I have often thought that a drop-in circular polarizing filter for my 300/2.8 would be a good idea to reduce glare from goggles and face masks, as well as to enrich colours and...
  11. Harv

5D Mark III phenomenon

My newly acquired 5D Mark III does something that I find really odd. When I have occasion to remove the CF card for any reason and re-insert it, the camera switches to the SD card. It does this even when the camera has been turned off. My 1D Mark IV will do this, but only if the camera is...
  12. Harv

Question re: real world experience with 5D MkIII AF

I apologize if this has been covered in the past but I did a quick search on the subject and could not find what I was looking for. I'm hoping that someone out there has some real world experience and can answer my question. How does the 5D MkIII AF compare to the 1D MkIV? I'm particularly...
  13. Harv

In-camera noise reduction

This question is directed to the technically knowledgeable out there and has to do with in-camera noise reduction settings. Although I'm shooting with a 1D4, I would guess the same would apply to all models. In a nutshell, is in-camera noise reduction (assuming it's enabled) applied to RAW...
  14. Harv

Breakfast is Served

A Red-breasted Merganser drake enjoying an early morning breakfast of Goby. This was taken at one of my usual haunts... our local harbor. The Goby is an invasive species here so it's nice to see this duck reducing the population. :D Shot with 1D4, 300/2.8L IS plus 2xTC III Thanks for...
  15. Harv

Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS for motorsports ??????????

Last year I began photographing motorsports. I shot some super bike and GP car races on road courses and shot a lot of motocross and atv races. The gear I used was a 1D Mark IV along with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 300 f/2.8L IS with great results. I am fortunate to have full access to the...
  16. Harv

Canon G1 X image aspect ratios

The Canon website shows the following information in the specifications for the G1 X camera..... Number of Recording Pixels Still Images: [16:9] Large: 4352 x 2448, Medium 1: 3072 x 1728, Medium 2: 1920 x 1080, Small: 640 x 360 [3:2] Large: 4352 x 2904, Medium 1: 3072 x 2048, Medium 2: 1600 x...
  17. Harv

Is Canon discontinuing the EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye ?????

I cannot find this lens listed now at several major Canadian retailers. I have checked the websites for Aden, Henry's, Vistek, Merkle and The Camera Store. The only Canon fisheye lens that comes up on a search is the new 8mm-15mm f/4L. Are they attempting to force buyers to now fork over...