Search results

1. W

Canon Patent Application: Canon TS-R lenses

Indeed, a 200 mm Macro with TS would be fantastic.
  2. W

That’s all folks, for me anyway. Canon Rumors will live on.

Thanks for the many years of great information! I wish you all the best. Again, THANKS
  3. W

Three Canon Lens Masters Pick Their Favourite Lenses

+1. 400mm which can be used handheld for extended periods of time
  4. W

OSX 10.11.1 supports 10 bit color, but .....

I am not sure what causes the difference, but what I do know is that my Eizo does not support 10 bit with a DVI cable. It needs display port cable
  5. W

Indeed, you are right, one needs the full chain. Apparently the new iMac 5K is the only iMac that support 10 bit, the older iMac do not. Even so, the gamut of the new iMac is not even close to the gamut of an Eizo CG monitor I have a Mac pro (trash can) with an Eizo CG276 and I can confirm that...
  6. W

Finally OSX supports 10 bit/colour (30 bit) colour. HOWEVER, now the applications are lagging behind. Capture One 8.3.4 uses the 10 bit colour option, but Photoshop CC does not. Furthermore, only some displays make use of this option. To check if your system/display supports 10 bit: 1) About...
  7. W

Flowers and other Flora

Flying Duck Orchid. Margaret River West Australia. This flower is approximately 10 mm in size, so it is very hard to find
  8. W

EOS 8-15mm USM L - Lens Registration Tool

Image trends Hemi fish eye correction is a plug in for photoshop which does a lot better job then ACR lens correction
  9. W

EOS 8-15mm USM L - Lens Registration Tool

Hi, in Adobe Camera Raw there is a less correction for this lens and the results are horrible especially at the wide end.
  10. W

The Brain And Photography

+100 Michael Freeman books have been an eye opener for me. Probably the best books on photography I have bought and I do have many!!
  11. W

Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM

Please see attached Blue wren in "summer" colours. Yallingup is just at the edge where you can find them. You need to look in an area where there are a lot of high trees with little undergrowth. Further south on Caves Road the trees change to karri and marri and they prefer that. Anyway, I hope...
  12. W

The Blue Wren can be found about 200 km South from Perth in the Margaret River region. They do not live in Perth city area. Occasionally you will see one in the hills east of Perth, but that is very rare. The pic is from a male bird and they only have this intense blue colour during mating...
  13. W

Blue Wren, West Australia
  14. W

1DX II AF Points with F8 Lenses

indeed, I have the same experience with a 400 +2X. Very often I have a bird that hops on a branch moving left to right and back in the frame. It would be great to be able to focus away from the centre
  15. W

Tilting & Shifting

A word of caution. Please be careful with all the little knobs and levers. I have heard of people that applied too much force and broke a knob, which resulted in several hundred $ repairs. If the shift or tilt does not happen smoothly, with minimal force, you are doing something wrong! I have...
  16. W

Tilting & Shifting

Another application of the TS-24 is to create a square stitched landscape. Put camera on a tripod in portrait mode. Take three shots at -5, 0 +5 horizontal shift. Stitch them in Photoshop and you get a square as a result. It is a different look to the super stretched horizontal landscapes, but I...
  17. W

The one thing Apple understands is photography

+100. Apple has ignored high end photo editors for a long time. The simple fact that OSX only support 8 Bit/colour channel (24 bit) means that for high precision colour work I have to use a PC which does support 10 bit/colour channel (30 bit). It is ridiculous , the entire workflow, DSLR...
  18. W

UV Filters, Do They Really Protect You?

Hi Steve, thanks! Very interesting and as you say, unexpected results. What about the "weather and dust sealing" claim that is often quoted e.g 16-35 F2.8 II needs UV filter to improve weather sealing
  19. W

Repair for scratched Lee filters?

Hi, please read this: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html If only half of this is true, you do not have to worry about scratches on filters. I know that the guy is nuts, but it shows how much dirt/damage you can have on the front of the lens. The opposite is true, even small dust...
  20. W

The 2X II extender does reduce IQ, the image looks flatter and looses contrast. However, if there is enough light, let's say iso 1600 or less, this can easily be corrected in ACR or lightroom. Biggest issue for me is focussing speed (uhh, slowness?) with 2X, even on the 1DX, I am disappointed...