Search results

1. funkboy

Photography-on-the-net Forums to close at the end of 2023

\"writing was much faster and easier - now tapping seems to be the main communication method\" so much truth in that. for most people these days, \"writing\" means \"work email\"...
  2. funkboy

Canon has purchased a Fujitsu FX1000 supercomputer to go “no-prototype” in product development

It depends on the configuration. "Fugaku" is the $US1.2B flagship machine at RIKEN, which has ~160,000 nodes. Their two-node FX700 rack server costs about $US40K (which you'll eventually be able to buy from Penguin Computing). From the article it appears that Canon bought a single 650tflop...
  3. funkboy

Sooooo, f/11 you say? What’s Canon up to with these upcoming supertelephoto lenses?

there are a lot of f/11 telescopes out there... (just sayin' :-)
  4. funkboy

Blackmagic Design announces new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K with EF mount

IMHO there's something Colani-esque about the design of this thing... https://www.google.com/search?q=colani+camera&source=lnms&tbm=isch
  5. funkboy

Blackmagic Design announces new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K with EF mount

Also most APS-C zoom lenses will large have enough image circles at the long end to work without vignetting. To my knowledge, only Canon makes actual EF-S lenses; all other 3rd party mounts are just normal EF with glass designed for APS-C. e.g. my APS-C Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 worked just fine as a...
  6. funkboy

Stock Notice: Tamron 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD at Adorama

Wow, Tamron really hit the nail on the head with this one. I can't wait to see the reviews; if it's as good as my 85mm f/1.8 VC... I imagine they picked 35mm for the wide end as I suppose it's possible to accomplish in EF mount without a retrofocus design.
  7. funkboy

Tokina officially announces the Opera 16-28mm F/2.8 FX

Tokina "pro" lenses have always been excellent value for money. Very satisfied with my 11-16 f/2.8 (which BTW mounts just fine on FF & is perfectly acceptable as a "real" 16mm f/2.8).
  8. funkboy

Canon officially announces the development of 6 new RF mount lenses

The "tiny" 70-200 is yet another compelling argument for this platform. I'd love to see a "reverse teleconverted" (or redesigned :) 50-150 f/2 IS in similar form factor. Oh, I'd expect to see Tokina release their full-frame mirrorless "Firin" 20mm f/2 for EOS R as well...
  9. funkboy

Patent: Canon speedbooster for EOS M

I've already been looking at picking up a 2nd-hand EOS M6, now that there are good/cheap Fotodiox EF AF adapters for it. I would certainly buy a high-quality "speed booster" without hesitation.
  10. funkboy

Tokina Officially Announces the Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF

So glad to see Tokina back in the game. My 11-16 f/2.8 is awesome. Even though it's technically a "crop" lens it works great as a 16mm f/2.8 on my full-frame 6D!
  11. funkboy

Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS Coming in 2017 [CR2]

& this is why I don't bother shooting above MRAW 1/2 resolution unless I know I'll really need the resolution.
  12. funkboy

Leaked: Sigma 105mm f/1.4 HSM Art

Wow! This is going to be amazing for portraits, concerts, weddings, etc. I'm a big low-light geek & this gets me hot. Like lots of folks, my first reaction was "why no stabilization?" but if you think about it: Adding IS to large-aperture lenses is *hard* & adds size & weight. Large glass...
  13. funkboy

Mobile Redirects Currently Plaguing the Mobile Web

If you use FireFox (which also works great on mobile), there's a really nice blocking tool called NoScript: https://noscript.net/ It's not for everyone & you kinda need to work with it a bit to train it, but once you get used to it & establish your whitelists it's not to hard to have it allow...
  14. funkboy

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless to use Dedicated Sensor [CR2]

I agree they'd shoot down APS-H if it's an interchangeable lens camera, but if it's a super-powershot (for which they've done custom oddball-sized sensors before)... 16ish really good APS-H MP with a 24-100 f/2.8-4.5ish (equiv.) lens in a compact integrated powershot body would be pretty...
  15. funkboy

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless to use Dedicated Sensor [CR2]

Personally I think that an APS-H size sensor (with e.g 6D-size pixels) would be sufficient for a large-sensor mirrorless camera, & help keep the size & weight down while still being a significant step up from the APS-C crowd.
  16. funkboy

I tested out the theory behind DxOMark's F-Stop blues article

Yep, IIRC Leica claims they do that on their rangefinder cameras as the wide-aperture angle of incidence is even higher than a DSLR due to the short flange-back distance.
  17. funkboy

Canon Officially Announces the EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

Hopefully this'll come down to around 300 bux when pagan winter festival comes around. I'll take it!
  18. funkboy

Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017 [CR3]

my EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is better :-) Hopefully since this is EF-S & f/2.8 it'll be nice & small (please let it be a pancake :-), & nice & cheap...
  19. funkboy

The Next Lens from Canon Will be an EF-S Prime

I'd say that "specialty lenses" also includes fisheyes. (Not trying to be pedantic, just covering all the bases)