Search results

1. jrista

Canon EOS R5 - Cable Protector - Mismatched to ports? Threads don't reach?

I just purchased a Canon EOS R5, as after some years hiatus, I'm getting back into terrestrial photography. The R5 has been getting rave reviews, and seems to deliver exceptional image quality (which is great, as I still have a huge collection of Canon lenses). I haven't really had a chance to...
  2. jrista

EF 11-24mm L f/4 vs. 16-35mm f/4 L IS vs. 16-35mm f/2.8 L III

I'm in the market for a replacement wide angle landscape lens for the 16-35mm f/2.8 L II I currently have. I generally like the focal range, although I don't terribly often seem to use beyond 24mm. The Mark II version of this lens has pretty poor corner performance, and doesn't even really have...
  3. jrista

Being published! Snake Nebula image in Sky & Telescope

I've been contacted by Sky & Telescope magazine a couple of times about publishing my images. They actually are publishing an image I processed (although I collaborated on it with another individual who acquired the data) in the May edition that should be hitting shelves soon. That is an image...
  4. jrista

How much weight can the EF lens mount handle?

I am about to purchase a CCD camera for my astrophotography. My hope is to still use the Canon EF 600mm f/4 L II lens, however the CCD camera is going to be a good deal heavier than a standard DSLR. My 5D III is about 2lb, the 1D X II is about 3.4lb. Now the CCD camera itself is 3.5lb, however...
  5. jrista

Affinity Photo - Alternative to Photoshop

For those who want options: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/ Looks really freakin good. Couple friends have this now, they say it's awesome, and does some things either better than PS, or things PS can't do. Super cheap, no subscription, free updates. (Only Mac at the moment, but sounds like...
  6. jrista

Curious Deer

Spring Doe I finally had some time to get out and do some more nature photography, after being cooped up inside from plenty of snow and pretty cold weather this winter. Had a phenomenal day this past Friday, where I sat out in a field full of deer, and had each one come within about 20-30 feet...
  7. jrista

The 1200mm Sharpness Test

I started putting together a new bird setup in my back yard a little while back. I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but, I did to some shooting at 1200mm f/8+ on the 5D III. At first I was a little dismayed by the sharpness, thinking the 2x TC was really costing me too much detail...
  8. jrista

Sony making another DR leap? Some 21 stops in a 1.5" sensor?

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/new-sony-sensor-21-stops-dynamic-range-5120-native-iso-destined-high-speed-cinema-camera-smartphone/ It seems it's primarily intended for cinema...but still...14 stops at ISO 100, 21 stops at ISO 5120, and the thing doesn't drop below 10 stops until an insane ISO...
  9. jrista

Samsung NX1 - FF level quality in an APS-C?? Imaging Resource samples...

So...I was browsing around imaging resource, checking out the NX1 preview. I started comparing the sample images with the 7D II. I was blown away by the quality of the NX1 up through ISO 6400, and even 12800 for that matter. You can clearly tell the 7D II is noisier. So, I decided to compare...
  10. jrista

Canon 7D Mark II - Finally using Canon's newer fab?

So, I was poking around on sensorgen.info, and noticed the 7D II was listed. I clicked into it, and saw this: A larger format Canon sensor with 59% Q.E.!! I've only seen that on their small sensors, the ones that come from their other fab. It hasn't topped 60% yet, but overall it's quite a...
  11. jrista

iPhone 6 gets an Exmor

I found this the other day: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2014/09/chipworks-iphone-6-plus-teardown-finds.html Looks like even iPhone has moved to Exmor. Excerpt form Chipworks (their page doesn't seem to be loading at the moment):
  12. jrista

Dynamic Range - Try it for yourself, conclude for yourself: 5D III vs. A7r

I received my A7r rental from LensRentals today. I've been working, but I took a few minutes to snap some quick shots of my living room, with the goal of preserving the highlights of the bright sunlit outdoors in the front windows. To do that, I had to underexpose the foreground well below the...
  13. jrista

Fuel for the fire: Amazon DSLR Rankings...and no REAL 2012-2013 market data?

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-DSLR-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/3017941/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_4_3109924011 I just found it interesting...this page used to be completely dominated by Canon DSLRs. Earlier in the year/late last year, there were only a couple Nikon cameras on the list, and...
  14. jrista

Within Forests

I noticed there wasn't a thread dedicated to forest landscapes. The purpose of this thread is to show off your photos where your right there, in a forest, jungle, rainforest, etc. Aspens, Redwoods, Pines...if your surrounded by trees of any kind, it's a forest. ;) Forest Boke 5D III and 50mm...
  15. jrista

Getting into Astrophotography with Canon Equipment (on the cheap!)

For those of you who know me, you know I started doing deep sky astrophotography this February. I know a lot of you have expressed interest in the hobby, so I thought I'd share my latest setup. I've learned a lot in the last seven months, including which way is best for setting up a tracking...
  16. jrista

Full Frame and Bigger Pixels vs. APS-C and Smaller Pixels - The Reach War

Well, I said for a long time that once I got a 5D III, I'd do some comparison shots. I've long held the opinion that crop sensor cameras, like the 7D, do have value in certain circumstances. The most significant use case where a camera like the 7D really shows it's edge over full frame cameras...
  17. jrista

What's up with the new ultra-micro image attachment size?

Just a little rant. I was going through some of the gallery forums and...I'm appalled. More than half the thumbnails are ULTRA TINY!!! Worse, you have to click each one, which opens up in a new window, to see it full size. Which you have to close, to click another one. Incredibly tedious. What's...
  18. jrista

Total Lunar Eclipse - #1 of 4 - April 2014

There are FOUR total lunar eclipses occurring over the next two years. Tonight is the first of the four. It starts at 1:58pm ET, 11:58 MT, and 10:58 PT. If you are planning on photographing the first lunar eclipse this year, share your photos here! I'm aiming to get a full sequence of the...
  19. jrista

Deep Sky Astrophotography

The other thread ended up with a bit too much discussion on the topic of astrophotography and the related gear. Figured a new, clean one, dedicated just to the imagery, would be good. Please, feel free to share your own images as well! (If you already shared some in the old thread, maybe...
  20. jrista

6D Noise Levels and Comparison Tests

Someone from CloudyNights forum performed some useful tests of the 6D noise levels at different temperatures at astrophotography exposure lengths. Very interesting stuff, for those who are interested. You can find the images here at the original thread...