Search results

1. E

Lexar CF cards FAIL - Sandisk?

Had a Sandisk disk-on-key fail out of the box. Couldn't copy anything larger than ~100KB to it. Had an Intel processor fail straight from the shop, failing to install three different versions of MS-Windows from five different CDs. This is a well known phenomena, which is why it is good...
  2. E

Canon's Medium Format

No more misleading than stating a sensor has so many megapixels, when each photodiode samples one color, and the other two are interpolated in the JPEG.
  3. E

Canon Interested in Acquiring Panasonic's Camera Division? [CR1]

Probably an April Fools, but I still find it more credible than the rumors about Canon purchasing a MF manufacturer. APS-C & EOS-M made sense because (a) those are big markets, and (b) Canon's FF lenses could be mounted on those cameras. What would be the benefit of making MF cameras? Selling...
  4. E

New EF-S 24mm & USM Motor Coming? [CR1]

Re: New EF-S 24mm & USM Motor Coming? [CR1] An EF 35mm lens will work fine on crop bodies, as will an EF 24mm lens, e.g. the new 24mm f/2.8 IS USM. An EF-S 24mm f/2.8 IS STM will not work on FF bodies, hence it's being dedicated crop lens.
  5. E

Patent: Tamron 10mm f/2.8 Fisheye

It's focal length is close to 10mm and half angle of 90 degrees, so it looks to me like a diagonal fisheye for crop.
  6. E

Canon Announces M15P-CL Industrial Camera with Monochrome Sensor and Nikon F-Mount

The text has a line about EOS lens compatibility, so I'd expect contacts for aperture control, etc.
  7. E

Canon Announces M15P-CL Industrial Camera with Monochrome Sensor and Nikon F-Mount

Shouldn't the electronic contacts be visible across from the red points?
  8. E

More Teasers From Samyang, Three New Lenses?

Considering the left lens' bulbous element and small hood, I'd guess it's wider than 10mm. Edit: then again, it looks like knobs on the barrel - maybe a tilt-shift lens?
  9. E

Patent: Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L IS

What's "Shifutobure"?
  10. E

Why do people post photos on the social websites?

Because I want my friends, or my friends' friends to see the photos. E.g. I've seen a band playing jazz music in a street with half a dozen people dancing, took photos, and posted some on my web page to share a bit of the experience with my friends. Shared it on the band's FB feed, and the...
  11. E

Is Dual Pixel Tech Coming to the EOS 5D Mark III?

All the other lenses with STM are EF-S, and work with APS-C bodies that have DPAF. Why would Canon make a FF lens with STM, if there are no FF body owners to buy it?
  12. E

Is Dual Pixel Tech Coming to the EOS 5D Mark III?

I wonder why did Canon introduce the EF 40mm STM in 2012 if it had no plans to introduce a FF camera with DPAF shortly after that?
  13. E

What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2013?

IMHO, we should also be looking at what happened in the years up to the peak. In 2000, Canon wasn't selling any DSLRs. In 2010 Canon was selling the 5Dmk2, an FF DSLR that can shoot video at an attractive price point. Point being, people were moving from film to digital, and that helped sales...
  14. E

Interview With Canon Executives

A) I was mocking the resolution based argument the interviewee was making. B) Plenty of photos are taken without a flash. Last two family events I went to took place outdoors in full daylight, so I didn't even bother taking a flash with me. C) Flashes like the 320EX solve part of the problem...
  15. E

Interview With Canon Executives

"Will still photography be necessary in the age of 4K video? [GT] Somewhere in the future, maybe the two things might converge but currently with 4K technology you're talking about an 8MP still image, and with 20-30MP stills cameras being the norm I don't know whether 8MP would satisfy...
  16. E

Speculation: Year of the Lens

Economy being what it is the last few years, I doubt there's more profit in the Otus price range than there is in the L price range. Personally, I don't keep an open eye to upgrade any of my L lenses, nor am I willing to pay L-to-Otus prices. I would be willing to upgrade my Sigma 12-24mm with...
  17. E

New Wide Angles Lenses in 2013 [CR2]

I hope not. The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is already a big lens, I hope Canon wouldn't make it any larger. As far as I understand, the wide lenses got a larger wide element to help reduce vignetting, which is redundant on long lenses.
  18. E

Canon's Medium Format

I see electronics' price dropping, but lenses?
  19. E

Patent: Canon EF 24-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS

The whole point in a kit lens is for the photographer to start with something cheap so they would get a good idea what lens they want to spend good money on (wider and/or longer, faster, etc). In other words, I doubt people would start with APS-C + 18-55mm and say "oh, I like the lens, we just...