Search results

1. H

Canon RF 200-800mm IS USM Previews / Reviews

I got curious, so I checked Pangolin’s web site just now. They do not rent equipment, but “will supply free of charge” stuff like the Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 and EF 100–400mm II. I’m guessing that would be first-come, first-served, and is mainly meant for partners of photographers tagging along...
  2. H

Opinion: The USB-C DSLR problem isn’t as bad as you think

If this forces Canon to stop doing what they’ve been doing with the 1-/3-series chargers for the LP-E* series batteries, that would be a good thing. The new LP-E19 batteries work in the old cameras, but can only be charged in the new LC-E19 charger, which is very expensive. As the piece points...
  3. H

Canon Introduces Three New Lenses, Enhancing Still Photography and Video Production for Any Skill Level

I’m here, I have it, and not only do I not rave about it online but have become somewhat disenchanted with it, in part because of its slowness. I think most of the situations, for me, where the slowness doesn’t matter are also ones where my old EF 100–400mm f/4.5–5.6 II would have been OK...
  4. H

Firmware version 1.8.2 appearing on serviced EOS R5 cameras

It is common practice to do a staged release like that. For example, Microsoft doesn’t offer major feature releases of Windows to everyone at once (as distinct from security updates). Given the several instances of Canon sending out bad firmware, it would certainly better to have the damage...
  5. H

Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

I can certainly think of valid uses for those lenses for amateurs, but I’m curious about the logistics of how you use them. Do you have someone to help you carry them? Do they mainly live in a studio where the sitters/models come to them? It’s one thing to take a 1.3kg 500mm zoom on adventure...
  6. H

They’re going about it in a very strange way, then. The 28–70mm f/2 seems ideal for a wedding, fashion or portrait photographer, but mainly one with deep pockets and an assistant to hump it to just one or two locations. This is the very opposite of a hobby portrait/family photographer, who...
  7. H

I’ve done this in the past with bodies that aren’t worth much, with tripods and the chargers. The problem these days is whether the checked baggage will get there at all. In DSLR days, I probably wasn’t going to need to charge anyway, but this is no longer true with mirrorless, and that huge R3...
  8. H

I think you’re making too much of the carry-on limits. The domestic airlines here in Australia have often enforced the 7kg limit, as well as a size limit, for carry-on, going back at least 10 years. It’s nothing new, and I managed to travel with a 1Ds Mk III and multiple lenses. The kit for my...
  9. H

Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM confirmed, likely in Q4 [CR3]

Inspecting the metadata of three of them at random, you’re shooting wide open at 500mm and a distance of 8 to 9 metres. I assume therefore these were cropped. You’ve chosen sensible shutter speeds and kept the ISO under control. In two of the ones I looked at – #3 and #9 numbering left to right...
  10. H

I have the 100-500mm, so yes, I did know about it. It’s 1/3 stop slower at 500mm than the Sony is at 600mm. While I haven’t used the Sony, I would expect it to be easier to handle (that is, point at the subject and zoom in and out) than the Canon, despite its extra weight, because it’s an...
  11. H

Another lens for the paid professional photographer, this time field sports shooters. Can this market really be worth more than the forgotten middle of amateurs, currently awaiting some equivalent of Sony’s 200–600mm zoom or Nikon’s Fresnel lens (DO, in Canon-speak) telephoto primes? I suspect...
  12. H

Supply shortages continue to plague the industry

Some of the resistors are pretty flamboyant, with all those coloured stripes. And most of the others engage in surface mounting...
  13. H

Canon confirms discontinuation of EF and EF-S lenses

What was actually said in the original Japanese was that it was the last 1-series DSLR. And I think it only became the Mk III because the Mk II used an orphaned memory card standard. Nothing was said about the more mainstream 5-series either way. Reading the tea leaves, I would not be surprised...
  14. H

Patent: Eye-control focus in an EVF, this will appear in the Canon EOS R3

All true, but you've forgotten about the *number* of photons. If you have more of them, you have more total energy. This is unlikely to be high enough to do damage with a camera, but the example given above by another poster of a red-hot piece of iron in front of the eye is another thing...
  15. H

Thank you for injecting some knowledgable sanity into this thread. I did think of the TV remote example, but of course it is not collimated the way the eye sensor presumably is (never mind your laser, which is also coherent). And Apple is also using it for their face/eye recognition on their...
  16. H

I'm not worrying about it, but simply writing the camera off as of no possible interest to me among the many possible cameras that might be. It may seem unfair, but people use seemingly minor things all the time to winnow selections down to a manageable number. It's the way the world works. As...
  17. H

As said above, like any light it depends on the intensity. The trouble with infrared is that, because we can't see it, the automatic system which closes the iris down doesn't work for it. Thats why it's considered dangerous despite the actual photons having less energy than visible light. (UV...
  18. H

More Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Information

Before people get too carried away, remember that internal-focussing macro lenses (where the barrel does not extend) typically reduce their focal length quite a lot as you focus closer. That in turn reduces your working distance, which can make lighting the subject harder. Also, calling 100mm a...
  19. H

Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

It's the Sexiness Augmentation control. Turn in the +ve direction for portraiture, and in the -ve direction for photojournalism.
  20. H

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM & Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II Discontinued

The 180mm f/3.5 L macro has an end of support date of November 2027 but is not marked as either "low inventory" or "discontinued" in your second link. (It's also available from a local retailer here in Australia.) I don't think they ever sold many copies, so I guess it's possible that they don't...