Search results

1. kubelik

Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM next from Canon

I can't imagine that it won't be compatible with the extenders. having the ability to create a 200-600 f/5.6 with the 2x extender sounds pretty decent to me as well.
  2. kubelik

The Sad Truth About Canon's Future?

canon will be fine. I remember when nikon users agonized over the sea of white lenses at the olympics, and sometimes it goes the other way. the bigger issue is photography as a whole losing the youth market. I don't think folks are investing heavily into body+lens systems as a whole anymore. but...
  3. kubelik

End of an era, DPReview.com will shut down next month

this explains why the "full" review for the R6 Mark II was so incomplete. over time I've found that as a committed Canon shooter, The Digital Picture is ultimately more meaningful to me than other sites that spend most of the time cross-comparing cameras from different brands, I really care...
  4. kubelik

Canon, King in SLR Cameras, Makes Inroads Into Mirrorless

I would be very happy to purchase the M50 except for the dearth of EF-M glass. everything starting at f/4 or f/3.5 and being variable aperture really doesn't cut it. yes, I know there's a single "fast" prime ... which is really a 35 f/2.8 equivalent so not that fast either. would be interested...
  5. kubelik

There's More to a Camera System Than Just the Gear

when my brother-in-law decided to get into photography as a hobby, we had a long discussion of whether or not he should go Sony or Canon. as a computer science guy, he was initially enamored of Sony as a company really pushing the technical envelope. browsing some forums, he deduced that Canon...
  6. kubelik

Does Moore's law apply to digital photography?

Johan, unless you were being tongue-in-cheek, you're very much mistaken in calling it "the holy Moore's law." Moore was simply basing it on observational data and very clear that it was speculative when used to project into the future. Moore's law has only ever been an intellectual curiosity...
  7. kubelik

Slight "clunk" when moving 11-22mm after dropping

ryan, sorry to hear about your 11-22mm. I had a 5D Mk II fall out of an improperly zipped bag once (totally my own fault, shouldn't have packed stuff in the dark); fell like 3 feet onto asphalt and caught the attached 16-35mm f/2.8 L at an angle. was making serious clunking noises and the barrel...
  8. kubelik

Sigma Announces Two New Mirrorless Cameras: Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H

what's interesting is that a few years back, after the 1D Mark IV was discontinued, there were a bunch of scattered rumors about APS-H not entirely disappearing, and also Canon working with Sigma on Foveon-type sensors. don't think this is the result that people were envisioning back then, but...
  9. kubelik

Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Available for Preorder

Just FYI, I think that's one of the things that got fixed with the Mark II. screen tilts up and down now.
  10. kubelik

Prosumer Level Canon Mirrorless Camera to Have 4K [CR2]

yeah, they hype about 4K is ... well, mostly hype. I'm not a saying it doesn't have a place, or that it doesn't have a future. clearly, it does. but I'll weigh in as a typical consumer (DSLR-toting hobbyist photographer who mostly shoots video for family events/to record the kids growing up)...
  11. kubelik

Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Available for Preorder

it's fine in almost any jacket pocket. definitely not pants pockets (I'm a 6'1" guy and wear loose jeans, you still cannot put the G7 into the front pockets, mainly because of the lens protrusion). but very easily portable nonetheless. jacket, vest, purse, little side pockets on a backpack...
  12. kubelik

The Next DSLR from Canon Will Be...

yeah, I like CRguy a ton but today's post certainly seems to be a little ... overconfident, perhaps? in addition to your points, I'd also add that I disagree with the assumption that it must be the 6D Mk II that gets announced in September, and that nothing gets announced late summer. From what...
  13. kubelik

Announcing The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

waiting for the 5D Mk IV specs but I have to say, I really like what got announced today. If I had $6K to spend on a camera I'd be really happy purchasing the 1DX Mk II based on what was announced today. wider spread of AF points, all f/8, permanent red-dot AF, DPAF, touchscreen AF in liveview...
  14. kubelik

Canon Working on Full Frame Fixed Lens Camera? [CR1]

it'd be really nice if it came with a 35-50mm f/2 or a 24-35mm f/2 lens. if I had the disposable income, I'd buy something like that. but the reality is, as a casual shooter, I'd still rather save up for the eventual 5D Mk IV and replace my 5D Mk III with that. it's tough to put a lot of money...
  15. kubelik

EOS-1D X Mark II Claims of 15 Stops of DR [CR3]

he's just trolling. everyone else is here having a pretty enlightening discussion on how it's unlikely that Canon has actually packed in 15 stops of DR, how it could be claimed through marketing nonsense/obfuscation, or how it could actually happen if Canon used the right technology and gave us...
  16. kubelik

Patent: Canon EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS

given how large people are pointing out a 600m f/5.6 front element would be, and Canon's propensity for filing a whole bunch of patent variants for new lenses, perhaps this is just the opening salvo of a bunch of patents that will eventually reveal what the future lens is. I'd still like a...
  17. kubelik

Patent: Canon EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS

yessss! this is pretty similar to the 500 f/5.6 I've been hoping for all this time. I'm guessing this would come in ~$2.5K, given that the 100-400 II is going for $2.2K ... as much as I'd like to have it for sub-$2K, I doubt that'll happen. still, would spend the money knowing that my upgrade...
  18. kubelik

Canon EF 600mm DO BR prototype at EXPO 2015

I think you've nailed that on the head. they always do DO and non-DO side by side to show the size and weight savings
  19. kubelik

Canon EF 600mm DO BR prototype at EXPO 2015

I'll throw out a wild guess - it's probably just a big thick container that is easy to manufacture/modify while they test the actual inner workings of the lens
  20. kubelik

First Review of New Tamron Prime Lenses

Studentoflight, thanks for that info! I feel silly now, honestly never thought to check by just looking at the focus distance window... but will do so in the future ;D