Search results

1. S

6 unreleased Canon lenses and the two teleconverters show up for certification

Out of curiosity...did you sell your Riv in preparation for the R5 or did you like the RP so much you found no use for the Riv?
  2. S

What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Where does it say that?
  3. S

What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Some of you are comparing a 61MP sensor to a 30MP sensor and coming out with parity if the dynamic range is the same on a pixel basis? You are missing one big factor if you do. When equalized to the same resolution the 5Div sensor doesn't match the dynamic range of the Sony A7Riv until ISO3200...
  4. S

Correction: Canon is bringing us an RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

The information presented here is absolutely true in terms of DOF equivalence. It cannot be true in terms of light gathering ability per pixel because otherwise if I mounted a APS-C lens to my a7riv, I should expect it to darker and it is not. The sensor is not compensating, the aperture sets...
  5. S

Camera manufacturers are facing a shrinking market from smart phones that are becoming more and more competitive with mirrorless cameras. One of the features that was always a major differentiator was the fact that small sensors were not capable of subject isolation. That is lost when you...
  6. S

I've heard this argument and I just don't see eye to eye with it. I will agree that different sensors have different noise performance. However, just because a lens is designed for a smaller sensor does not make the exposure properties different. If I take a MFT camera and set it to F4, 1/250...
  7. S

1) Actually sensor size does not directly affect DOF. Focal length does and aperture. The reason why we often refer to sensor size affecting DOF is because we frame lenses differently when they are affected by their crop factor. If you frame a picture the same on a crop camera, then the DOF is...
  8. S

I get what you are going for...but noise isn't a direct property of the lens whereas DOF is so I get the aperture comparison. I think the noise comparison is a bit of a stretch but like I said if it helps you picture performance comparisons between systems I guess it works. The problem I see...
  9. S

I'm not forgetting that, but saying it's an f8 lens is using the crop factor to compare DOF. Unless someone wants to tell me how an f4 lens on MFT is different than any other lens on a different system. Edit: ah I bet you are making a noise comparison AND and aperture comparison. Kinda silly to...
  10. S

[ Woah did I just read that wrong? Could have sworn it said Fuji. Anyway, does MFT work a different way that I am not familiar with? Isn't an f4 lens in terms of exposure still an f4 lens? I can't see this being different for MFT.
  11. S

First of all no, it's equivalent in aperture terms to f6. Secondly, in terms of exposure this is a f7.1 lens. The Fuji is f4. F7.1 is limiting in terms of exposure AND DOF.
  12. S

This is the first real "miss" I've seen from Canon in quite a while now. They've been on their game and honestly really making me regret switching from the 5Div to the A7Riv. The only problem I saw was that even though I'm jealous of the huge mount and the lenses that has been allowed by it I...
  13. S

Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

In terms of it being here besides the 24 or 35L...I disagree. Yes they have the super high end primes...but I think most people are also waiting on a line of somewhat affordable primes that more suit the body size they are on. They have the 35mm RF Macro...very disappointed it wasn't true USM...
  14. S

Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

I have to say I am both jealous and sad about the Canon situation. I almost bought an EOS R from my 5D Mark III. Instead after reading reviews I sold off my Canon equipment and bought a A7RIII, 24mm GM F1.4, 55mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 24-105 F4 and 90mm macro. I didn't expect it but I was utterly...
  15. S

6D owners, are you upgrading?

I was getting really close to selling my 5DIII and "side grading" to the 6D Mark II for a little smaller size and newer features plus a (BETTER) sensor....but with the sensor disappointment I'll be staying put. Hopefully others do the same to show Canon what is expected.
  16. S

SONY A99 ii VS Canon 5div

I know! Isn't that sad when I find even those options sub par? The "typical" lenses I use (i.e. 35mm, 24-70, 16-35mm) are not nearly as good as the Canon equivalents and they are on par if not more expensive. I like my A6000...it does a good job for what it is. There are some things it does...
  17. S

SONY A99 ii VS Canon 5div

I keep looking at the A7RII as a potential switch option and I keep coming to the same conclusion. Sony doesn't have lenses that are equivalent to what I have on Canon and/or aren't of the same quality. Until they fix this issue...I just can't switch.
  18. S

5Dmk4 vs A6300 vs X-T2 vs GX85 (GH4) 4K Detail & Lowlight Comparison

This is where I had concerns...since the 5D mark IV doesn't downsample the entire sensor...it seems to me like individual pixel sharpness would matter to a much greater degree than on competing cameras. If you get one pixel of blur on the 5D Mark IV that would show up...if you got it on a...
  19. S

5D4 Low light ability in live view better than the viewfinder?

Dual pixel AF doesn't use the same focusing interface. Live view focusing is more sensitive to light then the phase detection assembly. Typically the more light any sensor gets though the easier time it will have focusing. For example the A6000 sometimes struggles to focus when the aperture...
  20. S

EOS 5D Mark IV - the crippled generalist

If I am a new user looking at which camera is right for me...the situation hasn't changed. I would look at a host of reasons on which camera system to invest in. It goes beyond "this camera has the best 4K" or "ISO 64 has the highest dynamic range". The SYSTEM is called a system because it...