Search results

1. Vern

Digital Photo Professional 4.10.0

I confess to being as luddite when it comes to post capture processing, and have used DPP for my RAW conversions b/c it is good and simple. Just installed the new version that allows image adjustments in selected areas and really like the results. Per the images below (left version with...
  2. Vern

lens choice for Yosemite

I will be making a short trip to Yosemite while on a business trip (3 days to spend there) and haven't visited before. I'd like to only take 2 lenses if possible and will do primarily landscape pics (5DSR body and tripod will come, of course). I'm not sure if I should take the 11-24 + the 70-200...
  3. Vern

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III

I debated getting this lens b/c I had the version II plus the 11-24 and 24-70 2.8II. Carried it on a long business/vacation around Europe and have been very impressed with the IQ. On the 5DSR, it is easy to create architectural pics w/o putting on the 24TS by simply cropping the lower half of...
  4. Vern

AFMA Focal results for 5DSR and 600II +/- 1.4XIII

Spent part of today recalibrating my 5DSR with the 600 II +/- the 1.4X III. I had not been pleased with results with the 1.4X (see bird portrait thread), so I thought I'd redo the AFMA today. Had to work in doors b/c of weather, so the distance was a little tight for the 840mm (13.5 m). The bare...
  5. Vern

B+W 77mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission CP vignetting w 70-200

I purchased the title CP to use on a hiking trip to Switzerland earlier this month and noticed intermittent vignetting as seen in the attached image when used with the 70-200 2.8II. I started removing the hood (just in case that was contributing) after noticing this, but still saw the affect -...
  6. Vern

Risk of moire in nature photography with 5DS R?

A question for Neuro or another imaging expert: would moire be a significant problem with the repeating patterns in avian feathers? I understand that it is rare in most natural scenes due to the general absence of repetition in patterns, but feather structure seems like a potential problem. I...
  7. Vern

Yellowstone in Winter

A few shots from last week. Happy to share details on kit, conditions and exposures. Note to self: take a 7DMKII next time. Only have full frame and there was plenty of light but even my 600II + 2XIII was short at times.
  8. Vern

Yellowstone in Winter - what to take?

My wife and I have booked a visit to Yellowstone Feb 21-28 next year with an alumni group (15 people max) and I'm starting to think of what to take. This will be my first visit to Yellowstone, but if it lives up to expectations, I will plan to return. While this is not a tour just for...
  9. Vern

Volleyball

Post your favorites from this high speed sport typically held in poorly lit arenas. A challenge for photographer and kit. 1DX, 200 f2, ISO 5000, 1/1000, f2. Serving is one time its easy to anticipate the action and catch a full frame composition.