Search results

1. S

Canon Patent Application: Automated Tilt Movements

A nice idea to help aging eyes get all necessary parts of the frame in focus. But the best possible improvement to Canon's TS-E lineup is still integrated lens feet with Arca-Swiss grooves. You may be overestimating the value of TS beyond the 1:2 magnification Canon put in the last generation...
  2. S

Canon Patent Application:

>> It would be that good especially when you consider these tilt-shift lenses are auto-focusing and the entire design is to be able hand-hold these lenses. I still want a lens bracket on each new TS.
  3. S

Canon Patent Application: Canon TS-R lenses

I'm looking forward to seeing what Canon has cooked up here, but sincerely hope that a lens collar is at least optional on all of these. Architectural, product, and landscape photographers are among the target markets here; macro photographers too if these focus to 1:2 like the last generation...
  4. S

Canon Inc. releases Q3 2023 Financial Results

OMG! Their business strategies are a disaster--YOY sales up almost 13%, which is very unlucky. Demand is solid, not fluid! People are buying Canon lenses instead of third party lenses, padding their bottom line with false profits. They even closed a "certain production facility." They kept...
  5. S

Shimoda Designs Explore 60 Backpack $119 (Reg $319)

Appears to be a discontinued model, if that matters to folks.
  6. S

Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

More statements of things that were obvious ages ago, more uninformed/unreasoned opinion, more whining. Geez. If you are only figuring out ten years after the camera market bust that it happened and why, perhaps you should trade in your flip-phone and flip-flops. I sincerely hope Canon...
  7. S

Canon patents a built-in tilting viewfinder

I've long wanted something like this, but with an EVF I'd be even more impressed if one could use the custom settings to invert the image. It would be like an old film camera. Perfect for doing landscape work where you can flip the image to help abstract out the composition. I've wanted...
  8. S

Venus Optics will announce the Laowa Aurogon 10x-50x “microscope” lens on July 17, 2023

Microscope objectives don't have variable apertures, so I wouldn't expect that here as it would make zero sense. Are you really concerned about going from .01mm depth of field to .011mm?!
  9. S

Venus Optics will announce the Laowa Aurogon 10x-50x “microscope” lens on July 17, 2023

This thing is HUGE! Photo of it held in hand here: https://photorumors.com/2023/07/15/new-venus-optics-laowa-aurogon-ff-10-50x-na0-5-supermicro-apo-microscope-lens/
  10. S

Zhongyi Optics launches the Mitakon APO 200mm f/4 Macro 1X for RF

Another junk lens from China that doesn't autofocus, looks like an ungainly relic from the 1980s, and has poor specs. A top flight upgrade to the ol' 180mm Canon is desperately needed. Ideally a 200mm f/2.8 or f/3.5, 77mm filter ring preferred (82mm max), and a razor-sharp technical lens...
  11. S

Let’s talk Canon EOS R1, the flagship of flagships?

I'm just hoping that Canon has their stuff together enough to put a 2.5GBASE-T or 5GBASE-T controller on that RJ45 port. 45Mp images aren't going to download themselves. And with 2.5Gb ports fairly standard now on computers, it seems a sensible way to future-proof the camera for a short while.
  12. S

EF 600mm f/4L ii lens hood pin broken/not working

Hey folks, So my lens hood is stuck on my EF 600mm f/4 ii lens. It appears the knob has disengaged from the screw that pushes outward to lock the hood on. Does anyone know enough of the workings of this part to be able to suggest how to fix this? At the very least, I would like to be able...
  13. S

New Canon Tilt-Shift lenses in the wild [CR2]

Unlike the authors, I'm not completely confident in an MP-E macro replacement for the R series. This was always an amateur-market targeted lens. The old MP-E can still work with the R system using an adapter, which is fine for some folks. The EF lens is easily surpassed by several third party...
  14. S

Canon Necktie spotted on Ebay, one only.

For someone who is more interested than I, it looks to be decent quality: Canon Necktie Enjoy it! - Scott
  15. S

Patent: Canon is actively developing fast mirror lenses

Dealing with bokeh and aperture concerns is actually pretty simple: build the lens in a Z configuration [it increases the size of the housing and looks non-standard, but who cares?]. While these patents illustrate the common ring configuration, arranging in a double barrel fashion, larger on...
  16. S

Problem with EOS Utility downloading images?

Some small progress: I've narrowed it down to Auto Play in Win 10 is no longer showing the EOS Utility as an option. So I'm guessing a Registry entry either got corrupted or cleared.
  17. S

Problem with EOS Utility downloading images?

I don't know if I did something different, or if it was a software update from Adobe or Canon that screwed things up... Went to download a few quick images this evening, but the EOS Utility didn't automatically start like usual. My 5Diii was recognized by Windows, but it popped up a "choose...
  18. S

The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

For a professional camera, I'd like to see a Stops option on histograms, a feature easily added to camera software: John Sadowsky's version of Linear Stop Histogram.
  19. S

New reports about the next Cinema EOS camera have surfaced [CR1]

Undoubtedly to be followed by the Canon CR5, a rumor so unbelievable it became both a camera and its battery! ;)
  20. S

Industry News: Leica officially announces the Leica M11

The Leica cameras are wonderful, the lenses incredibly sharp, the fit-and-finish elegant and refined, and I certainly don't hate them. But the problem is that cameras are mere tools, and these tools offer low feature sets at extremely high prices which at best is impractical for a typical...