Search results

1. Mort

Patent: Canon appears to be continuing development of EF mount optical formulas

My 35 1.4 II handes coma just fine. So if they did update this lens, I'm sure it would be addressed. I'd love to seem them do a lens like this. I see that Sony 24 1.4 (super sharp, bright, AND small) and get really gear envious for any who own it...
  2. Mort

Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

How do you like the RP? I played with it in store and came away with the thought that if my 6D died tomorrow, I'd probably snag one of those as cheaply as I could as a holdover camera. Loved how small, yet comfortable it was, especially with the RF 35 on it.
  3. Mort

Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

Are you a left eye shooter or a right eye shooter? I'm a left eye shooter and rented an EOS R for a week. I played with the different configurations of the virtual joystick but no matter what I did, I constantly got false positives with my nose, which caused the focus point to jump to the...
  4. Mort

Do you think that Canon internal could see the R and RP as sort of a throwaway bodies? One that can be purchased at a relative low cost and allow people to start using the glass? I doubt it, especially for the R, but it is an interesting thought. Honestly, the R was almost there. A better...
  5. Mort

From the many interviews Canon has given, it feels like they intended to have a very optically impressive lens lineup so that when they did come out with the pro version, there would be a full lens lineup. I'm a part timer myself, so I'm rooting for the more lower/midrange 1.4 to 1.8 IS models...
  6. Mort

That is actually a pretty smart check. I find it's smart to do it with with new car prices as well (I follow a lot of auto websites). It's an interesting strategy for Canon. Get all the pro lenses out there before any pro body, so when the pro body comes out, there will be a full lineup of...
  7. Mort

Canon executives say a lot more coming in 2019

That's about where I'm at. I was incredibly close to jumping ship to Sony, but a totaled car (and thus buying a new car) delayed the purchase. Then some videos from the Art of Photography, Thomas Heaton and Matti Haapoja about buying new gear wont make you happy caused me to reassess my needs...
  8. Mort

Interview: Canon execs talk EOS RP with Imaging Resource

One thing that I feel like no one has talked about is this helping fund the R&D/engineering costs for the Pro level camera. Everyone is assuming that Canon will sell a boatload of these things, and despite all the criticism, the R seems to have sold a bunch too. All of those sales will help with...
  9. Mort

Which Canon Full Frame Camera is For You?

I have had my 6D for about a year and a half and do not regret my decision for one second. As much as I often curse Canon for intentionally crippling the autofocus performance of the 6D, I will probably hold onto it for at least another 3 years unless there is a Sony a7s type jump in ISO...
  10. Mort

Stars above.

Shot this one on my 6D and Rokinon 14mm. Single shot with a flash (and yellow gel).
  11. Mort

buy the 24-70 4 IS... or wait for the 2.8 IS?

I'll reiterate what StudentOfLight said about the Tamron. It's a shame that you aren't considering it. I have a 6D and the Tamron 24-70 VC and haven't missed the Canon Equivalent at all. As much as it pains me to relive this, the lens has fallen out of my bag once and was on my camera when my...
  12. Mort

6d

Just adding my 2 cents into this thread. I am a college student and therefore have a lot less money in the pot. So I had been wanting to upgrade for some time now and some very good friends let me borrow a 6D and a 70-200. After shooting an entire wedding, I felt completely confident that I did...
  13. Mort

Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII

Just adding my 2 cents into this thread. I am a college student and therefore have a lot less money in the pot. So I had been wanting to upgrade for some time now and some very good friends let me borrow a 6D and a 70-200. After shooting an entire wedding, I felt completely confident that I did...
  14. Mort

Canon 24-105 IS vs Tamron 24-70 VC

So a big thing to consider is the price. I can get the 24-105 for $200 less plus a $500 rebate. Is the f/2.8 really worth nearly $700 more than the f/4 of the 24-105? (By the way, I am planning on buying a 35/50/85 f/1.4/1.8 with the money saved. Prob the 85 1.8 or the Sigma 35 1.4)
  15. Mort

Re: Canon 24-105 IS vs Canon 24-70 VC Woops! My bad....
  16. Mort

So I know this isn't a very common comparison, but I am looking at buying the Canon 6d as well as a new lens. The way prices are looking, I can get the 6D w/ the 24-105 and a $500 rebate for $2600 while the 6D w/ the Tamron would cost $2800 with a $100 rebate. From experience, what is the...
  17. Mort

T2i upgrade to 6D?

I'm actually looking at the same things except I don't own the 24-105. I will have to buy the kit. I do a lot of low light portraits and light painting. The high ISO ability is what convinced me, plus the shallow depth of field and the wider angle of the full frame will be extremely helpful so I...
  18. Mort

Canon 24-105 F/4L

I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd drop a line anyways. I've played with the 24-105 just on my T2i and compared it to my 28-135 and the difference was noticeably significant. I'm also buying the 6d with the 24-105 cause I don't have the funds for the 5d and I need a good lens to go...
  19. Mort

Lens Resolution fact or fiction?

@ jrista I was looking at your other replies from back in 2012 that I thought was pertinent to the discussion. I was wondering where you have learned the math from that. I am an engineer and the only times I've seen stuff like that was during the small time when we talked about optical physics...
  20. Mort

5D2 / 5D3 / 6D Which one do you use for weddings ?

Here is one example http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221116170557&item=221116170557&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466 I also don't mind refurbs, which are also down to $2800 right now