Search results

1. jepabst

Wedding Photographers; when do you get your most inquiries.

I was thinking about throwing some additional advertising dollars at Google and then I wondered if there would be a certain time of year that would be better than others to do so. So I started going through my inbox from last year to see if there was a pattern of when there was an uptick in...
  2. jepabst

New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly I agree. My gear has paid for itself 10, neh, 20 times over. I am able to make more profit each year as my need for overhead goes down as I accrue lenses and other peripherals. I will say, I have diversified to do more for sure; moving into...
  3. jepabst

Interviewing 101 | Low Budget Tips and Techniques

Great ideas; I'm adding an 'additional things to think about' to the bottom of the lesson. I appreciate the input!
  4. jepabst

Autofocus that works with video in an upcoming Canon DSLR

I second this notion. Focusing is extremely difficult; especially when shooting at f/1.4 - f/2.8
  5. jepabst

Educational Videos for Interviewing

This past weekend I create 8 super short video tips for interviewing/videography. Educational Videos for Interviewing The videos are aimed at those doing doc/interviews with no budget - so no professional audio gear and a lackluster video cam as well. It's really just fundamentals.
  6. jepabst

Interviewing 101 | Low Budget Tips and Techniques

So, I am teaching a class at IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology) about videography (centered around interviewing and creating content by talkign to others). One of my lessons will be about interviewing techniques - and these students will not have access to professional equipment; just...
  7. jepabst

Which lens is better for Street Photography, the EF 40mm STM or EF 50mm 1.8 II?

To me it depends on the kind of street photography you are doing. If you are someone who likes street photography because the people are interesting to you; I'd go with the 50mm. However, if you are someone how enjoys street photography for the details in buildings, street food, cars, ect... you...
  8. jepabst

Bride and Groom, silhouette, Chicago, Dress Flowing

This was one of those captures that, as a photographer, you can't take a lot of credit for. You just kind of step into something nice. I was shooting way underexposed to get some silhouette shots, and the wind picked up her dress and blew her hair. We were shooting in Chicago on the EL-train...
  9. jepabst

Bride: Extreme Closeup

The coloring we do is unique to each wedding. I wish I could say that the tone was inspired by the brides maid dresses but I'm not that clever. The coloring is really about the emotion/day/feeling/temperature ect... We've done winter engagement sessions : cold ...
  10. jepabst

Thank you. I think it was one of my favorite bridal shots from 2014.
  11. jepabst

New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly Really looking forward to seeing the quality of this lens. I would absolutely consider purchasing.
  12. jepabst

Bride, Overcast, Cold, Natural Light

Haha, you're probably right. I've been shooting for a long time and I can say with a high degree of certainty that I will never own the 50mm 1.2 So many places I'd rather put that money.
  13. jepabst

This bride had stunning eyes. I had tried to get shots of them all morning but hadn't gotten anything I was super excited about. Then, after the ceremony, while everyone was decompressing I was looking for great light. I often just walk around looking at light/shadow. I noticed a person come out...
  14. jepabst

These shots are at the war memorial; we didn't stop explicitly for the doors, but rest assured, there are some shots at f/8.0 that get the doors and detail, but I don't think they are as successful. I know the bride liked the shots I shared here - she made them her profile pics at one time or...
  15. jepabst

Bride + Softbox + OCC + Hotel Lobby

Thanks for looking. I think my photography improved more as I learned how to work with 'people' more than any new piece of gear, lens, camera ect... You hit the nail on the head actually. Trust. If you are extremely confident, they will trust you. If you show weakness, frustration, or let them...
  16. jepabst

Another bride to share from 2014 - it was about 35 degrees, we were all freezing in Indianapolis. The bride liked these bronze doors, we jumped out of the trolley and snapped some shots. It was completely overcast with no visible directional light. Normally I would add light in a situation like...
  17. jepabst

sorry, just a fat thumb error. OCF .. off camera flash.
  18. jepabst

Grabbed this shot while we were waiting for the 'trolley-bus'. In the hotel lobby - I used 26" Octabox (Westcott) - and my Godox Flash. more wedding photography Just one light; background metered -2 stops Shot on Canon EOS 6D F/2.2 ISO-400 1/160 sec using 50mm f/1.4
  19. jepabst

Difference in image from APS-C to FF

Then I retract my ignorant statement. I should have read closer. My apologies. I guess I didn't see the point of that.