Search results

1. N

Best place to sell used gear in Australia?

Hi all, Hope this thread will be seen by some fellow Aussie photographers ... but the whole section of the forum has not seen any movement since 2015 apparently so maybe I'm in the wrong place ... Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for the best place to sell some used gear...
  2. N

Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

I know right? Who knew this site was all about rumors about Canon ... they should really put that in the title or something.
  3. N

New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

That's one CR1 I don't really believe. I certainly believe that these new lenses would come for both EF and RF mounts. As far as I understand (which is admittedly not much) it wouldn't be technologically difficult at all for this type of telephoto lenses, just change the body of the lens a bit...
  4. N

Is a Canon RF 24-70mm f/2 launching with the EOS R?

I was going to say this. Plenty of other sites do this already, publish every thing they come across and gloat when they inevitably turn out to be right about 1 or 2 of them. There's no point in doing this, no valuable information whatsoever. Please don't become one of those sites. It's...
  5. N

Industry News: Nikon Z6 & Z7 specifications leak out ahead of tomorrow’s announcement

All the talk is on the new cameras at the moment, but I have to say, I'm quite envious of that new lens, it looks really nice and compact. And the price seems very reasonable. If Canon came out with a similar 500mm f/5.6 DO IS around that price, I'd be very, very tempted.
  6. N

M5/M6 and EF-M Lens Questions

The original M (and, I imagine, the M2) was significantly more solid than the M5. I always liked that about the M. I do love my M5, it's a fantastic camera, but there is no denying that it feels very flimsy, very plasticky. So to the OP, I get the appeal of taking an M5 instead of a 5D, but...
  7. N

16-35 f/2.8L III for astro?

In my opinion, yes it is overblown. Vignetting is the main flaw of the 16-35L III, for sure. But it's on par with many other wide lenses. The (original) Samyang 14/2.8, universally praised as a great ultra-wide astro lens, has the same levels of vignetting (if anything, slightly higher...
  8. N

Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM Confirmed

Well, it's not exactly the lens that I would have wanted, but I am still very happy to see fast primes coming to the M line. So good news anyway ! ;D I might still pick it up, but that will depend on size and price.
  9. N

Advice request: 20mm options

I also own and love the Zeiss 21mm Distagon, and I could sing its praises ... you'd certainly not be disappointed with that lens. One thing to keep in mind is the vignetting, it's quite pronounced wide open, and since from what you've said it sounds like you'd be living at f/2.8, it's...
  10. N

Canon Announces the EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera

Using Amazon rankings to compare overall sales is like using DxO scores to compare sensors. It's not completely useless, there's some genuine data underneath it all, but the algorithm used is completely cryptic and there's a whole bunch of factors we don't know about that mess up those rankings...
  11. N

Canon Announces the Speedlite 470EX-AI Autobounce

Well, as someone who's always been a bit intimidated by the complexity of flash photography, this has really peaked my interest. The "auto-intelligent" bounce will have to be more thoroughly tested to see how intelligent it really is. But this part: is in itself seriously awesome.
  12. N

Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 Coming for Photokina [CR2/CR3]

I'll probably be in the minority, but I'd prefer if it were f/1.8 or even f/2. I can live with no IS, but then I'd want a lens that is small and light. Something in the spirit of the 22/2. Of course it will have to be bigger than that lens, but I'd hope for something in the same ball park, just...
  13. N

The Coming EF-M Prime to be 50mm Equivalent for APS-C EOS M [CR2]

I'd be shocked to see anything at $699 or anywhere near that, though I guess it's not impossible if Canon suddenly decided to go for a higher end, f/1.4 IS solidly built lens. But indeed, that's not what I expect. If anything, it may even be more likely to swing to the other end of the price...
  14. N

The Coming EF-M Prime to be 50mm Equivalent for APS-C EOS M [CR2]

Good news :) Personally I hope they keep it small, so I'm hoping for f/1.8 rather than f/1.4. IS would be good of course, though to be honest I'll probably end up getting this lens even without IS (provided the price remains reasonable of course).
  15. N

New EF-M Prime Likely Coming Ahead of CP+ [CR2]

I'm hoping we finally get one of the lenses I've been waiting for, essentially clones of Fuji's 35/2 or 50/2. Compact and reasonably fast, good at f/2, great at f/2.8. Like big brothers to the current 22/2. Any one of those would be an instant buy from me. But I've learned to manage my...
  16. N

Adobe Announces Cloud-Based Lightroom CC

I don't think you are. Your current plan essentially stays the same, and you still get LR and PS. The new plan at double the price gives you 1TB of cloud space to play with the new LR CC. At least that's how i read it, hope I'm not wrong ...
  17. N

A New Adobe Lightroom Will be Announced Today

I have no doubt that this will quickly be drowned in pages and pages of "discussion" about the subscription model, but there are still actual improvements and new features in this new LR. Personally I think the color and luminosity masking is a very welcome addition, I'll be using that a lot...
  18. N

Canon Announces the EOS M100 Mirrorless Camera

Comparisons of lenses based on a single copy (that includes the TDP charts) are always dubious, but even more so for these low-end consumer zooms with lots of copy variation. AvTvM, it sounds like you may have received a bad copy of the 15-45 For the record, based on my copy at least, I...
  19. N

Canon Announces the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

So, no BR then :( I was still holding some hope that it had just been "forgotten" in the rumoured specs ... Oh well. Still a buy for me. I find it weird that we haven't seen BR in any other lens since the 35mm II. As far as I can tell it was pretty well received all around. It's no silver...
  20. N

Here is the Canon EOS M100 [CR3]

That is just not true. I have both in front of me, the LP-E17 is thicker than the LP-E12. The difference is small, but it is real. I don't really understand this whole battery discussion. Yes, more capacity is always good. But Canon kept the same model they used in every camera with a similar...