Search results

1. chrysoberyl

Century Precision Optics AD-8620 +2.0 Achromatic Diopter - 86mm (Screw Mount)

This lens is available from B&H and 'This item is noncancelable and nonreturnable'. My question: Are the threads the same as on a Sigma 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM? I got varying answers from B&H. Sigma recommends extension tubes, which I tried and the increase in magnification is minimal.
  2. chrysoberyl

Laowa 58mm

Nice lens.
  3. chrysoberyl

Laowa 90mm

This lens arrived a couple days ago. I checked decentering first and it is very well centered. The focussing reminds me of a Zeiss 100mm Makro, which is to say, very nice.
  4. chrysoberyl

Sigma 28mm Art

I fully expected a thread for this lens. It is truly one of my favorites.
  5. chrysoberyl

Sigma 24mm t1.5

I am considering using this lens for astrophotography, so wide open resolution is critical. Is this a repurposed 24mm Art, except without the AF elements? Where may I find reviews?
  6. chrysoberyl

Why are full frame mirrorless images smaller than DSLR images?

Specifically 5D IV vs. R6 with the same lens. R6 images are ~17% smaller. Why?
  7. chrysoberyl

Astro

Is this a good option for astro? https://kolarivision.com/product/canon-eos-rp-full-spectrum-uv-ir-camera-forensics-kit/
  8. chrysoberyl

Nisi circular filters

How good are Nisi circular filters? I have used only B + W up to this point. I wanted to try Breakthrough Photography filters, but Breakthrough Photography appears to have severe manufacturing problems in terms of long delays on most products. So how good are Nisi filters and Nisi customer...
  9. chrysoberyl

600EX-RT used as a remote shutter release

the setup is a ST-E3-RT on a 5DIV and a 600EX-RT as a slave. Until recently, the 600EX-RT functioned perfectly as a remote shutter release. Now, it won't. I have changed batteries, followed the manual instructions repeatedly to no avail. The link light on the ST-E3-RT flickers red when the...
  10. chrysoberyl

R Exposure Compensation

I am considering buying a R for close-ups, macro, landscape and astro. I see the exposure compensation is +/- 3 EV while for the 5DIV it is +/- 5 EV. Why?
  11. chrysoberyl

Lens recommendation for birding

I have dabbled in birding with my 70-200 + 1.4X TC and now I want more reach. It appears no 400mm or 500mm, f/5 or f/5.6 primes will be available any time soon, so I am considering these: EF 500mm f/4L IS EF 500mm f/4L IS II EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II EF 400mm f/2.8L IS I am not considering the EF...
  12. chrysoberyl

Samyang 35mm 1.2

I like this lens. It doesn't have focus shift and is quite sharp. Focusing is a pleasure. John
  13. chrysoberyl

Spherical Aberration

Several sharp lenses - Samyang 14mm XP, Samyang 50mm XP, Sigma 28mm Art and Sigma 40mm Art – have noticeable spherical aberration. I have the Samyang 14mm XP and Samyang 50mm XP, and I want the Samyang 35mm XP, but I hesitate because I suspect it will have this characteristic also. These are...
  14. chrysoberyl

How to restore an old photograph?

I expect there is a thread on this, but I could not locate it.
  15. chrysoberyl

Tilt-shift lenses on mirrorless

Do tilt-shift lenses work well with mirrorless + an adapter? Can the wider tilt-shift lenses be better designed for mirrorless?
  16. chrysoberyl

LensTip review of Sigma 60-600

Interesting. Since it appears that no lens manufacturer is inclined to offer an affordable 300, 400 or 500mm tele prime, I may get one of these.
  17. chrysoberyl

Sigma 70 Art

I find the AF on this lens quite good.
  18. chrysoberyl

Samyang 50mm 1.2

Turk's Cap Lily.
  19. chrysoberyl

Perplexing

This from B&H: Samyang XP 85mm f/1.2 Lens for Canon EF You Pay: $899.00 Rokinon SP 85mm f/1.2 Lens for Canon EF Price: $999.00 Instant Savings: -$350.00 You Pay: $649.00 $250 just to rebrand the lens? Or has Samyang upgraded this lens? Would any owner/renter of this lens care to comment on...
  20. chrysoberyl

MTF Charts

Should MTF charts supplied by different lens manufacturers be compared? I don't see why not, but I defer to more experienced photographers. Specifically, I want to buy a 50mm lens and when I compare the Samyang 1.2 to the Sigma Art, the Samyang looks very close.