Search results

1. S

Is a Canon EOS R7 Mark II coming this year? [CR2]

I agree regarding the R6II body, but not the 40 MP. The X-H2S has a 26 MP stacked sensor; the X-H2 is 40 MP but not stacked. If Canon could come up with a 32.5 MP stacked, i.e. retaining the R7's excellent resolution, that would be perfect - but not at the cost of speed. The pixel pitch of the...
  2. S

Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z to be announced this week

If true, this is the sort of lens which will be an absolute joy to own and use, and it makes me wish I had a use/justification for it. It will be *very* expensive, but I've owned at least one big white for a number of years, and upgraded a couple of times, so I'm kind of inured to it.
  3. S

Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

Hopefully the RF-S ultrawide will include some small improvement such as 10 mm at the wide end, and not be a simple port from EF-M to RF-S. But either way it's very overdue so perhaps that will arrive this quarter. I'd be surprised to see the 200-500 before a major new body is announced to...
  4. S

New Canon Tilt-Shift lenses in the wild [CR2]

I can dream, can't I? BTW I am one of those EF super tele owners who can see no reason to upgrade, so I do know what you mean!
  5. S

Canon EOS R5 firmware update [CR2]

You haven't had universal support for your comment but I'm with you. It's very frustrating having an R5, and an R7 which cost me a third of the price and has improvements which could easily be ported to the R5 but Canon hasn't done it. Will this policy help Canon to sell more R5 Mark IIs? Or...
  6. S

Canon patents a built-in tilting viewfinder

A basic tilting electronic viewfinder couldn't be patented, it's been done so many times before. There must be something in the implementation which is deemed worthy of a patent. I agree it would be a great feature - the sort of thing which might tip the balance in favour of updating an...
  7. S

Zhong Yi Optics officially announces the Mitakon 200mm F/4 APO Macro Lens

Arguments like this just don't follow - macro shooting, just like any other photography, can benefit from a range of different focal lengths depending on the subject and circumstances. 100 mm is certainly not "just as useful" if you need to shoot from further away, for whatever reason. Also, a...
  8. S

Zhong Yi Optics officially announces the Mitakon 200mm F/4 APO Macro Lens

Working distance is measured from the front of the lens; focusing distance is measured from the sensor.
  9. S

Venus Optics will announce the Laowa Aurogon 10x-50x “microscope” lens on July 17, 2023

The first two are easy enough, it's the third which is tricky.
  10. S

It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

I think the point you may be missing here is that this is standard practice for Canon - tell people to use your products, never mention other options regardless of how much confusion it causes. A JPEG is a JPEG, it doesn't require special software to open. This very much reminds me of the FUD...
  11. S

New Canon Tilt-Shift lenses in the wild [CR2]

At last I can have a T/S lens to play with! - when the used market is flooded with unwanted TS-E 24s and the price drops like a stone ;-) Personally I have no need for AF, nor would I gain much from improved reporting if indeed that happens. But I'm sure many others will want these things, and...
  12. S

Patent: Canon RF 11-24mm f/4L USM

Interesting. Comparing the block diagrams of the EF 11-24/4L vs the 11-24 in the patent, they are very different. It looks like a completely new design, with full advantage being taken of the very short back focus. Unfortunately the EF 11-24 was very expensive when launched, and the RF lens...
  13. S

A new super telephoto lens will be announced soon

The RF 600/4 is just the EF Mark III with an RF mount swapped in, but the EF 500/4 never got the Mark III treatment so it could be just that (which wouldn't be a bad thing). What I'd really like to see though, is the 200-500/4 1.4x, if the weight is no more than my 600 III, and if the price is...
  14. S

Another announcement cycle is out of the way, so what’s next from Canon for the EOS R system?

A 300/2.8 1.4x would receive huge critical acclaim, but I think a little longer and a stop slower would find a bigger market. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see a 400/4 1.4x or even better a 500/5 1.4x DO.
  15. S

Venus Optics will soon announce a Laowa CF Argus 25mm f/0.95 for APS-C

F/0.95 and APO is an incredible combination, assuming it's reasonably sharp. Too much, er, 'character' would ruin it for me.
  16. S

Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

Canon also has to take the competition into account, and stacked BSI sensors are becoming more widely used, from the OM-1 to the Z9. I know Canon has a justifiable reputation for not being the first to market with the latest technology, but this is moving into the mainstream.
  17. S

The Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM appears to be getting closer [CR3]

This is great news - the EF 300/2.8L IS II was probably the best lens I've ever owned. But "best" wasn't best for me - I found myself using it with the 2x most of the time and eventually switched to a 500 - and that's what I'm really waiting for. A ground-up redesign of the 500/4L IS II would be...