Search results

1. R

Advice required on downsizing gear

Hi All, Thanks very much for everyone’s input and feedback. With the information provided here as well as checking out some further online reviews, I am confident that the M6 will suit 98% of what I need, so I am going to go ahead with the change and look forward to reducing the load I need to...
  2. R

Advice required on downsizing gear

Hi All, I am currently considering downsizing my existing camera gear and would like some advice and suggestions from other members. Currently I have the following equipment: 6D Mark II 16-35 f4L 24-105 f4L 70-300 F4.5-5.6L I mainly use my camera for holiday pics - probably 80 % of use...
  3. R

Canon zoom for portraits incl new 70-200

Hi All I had been considering buying a 70-200 2.8 recently for taking pictures of the 1 year old grandchild. Given that the Mark III was coming I thought I’d hold off for the new release and then either buy the new upgraded lens, or get a Mark II secondhand at an extra discounted price. The new...
  4. R

85L mk II rubber coating breakdown

Hi, This is not an uncommon issue with the 85 1.2. What you need to do is buy spare part CY3-2154-000, which you can find on eBay US for 50 bucks. There are 6 small screws to undo, slip the old cover off and replace with the new. These screws are only for the plastic cover and do not affect the...
  5. R

Sell our email or hacked?

I received the following approximately a week ago. It isn't random spam, but advertising that has come via canon rumours.
  6. R

Lens advice for Pearl Harbor tour

I did the Pearl Harbor day and had a great time. The 16-35 was the perfect lens for the day, there was only 1 shot I would have liked a longer focal length for, but that was no issue and certainly not worth dragging an extra lens around all day. For anyone doing the tour in future, you can't...
  7. R

Thanks Coz for the info. I'll definitely take the 16-35 as you advise. Everyone else who replied was focused on how to take multiple lenses rather than just answering the question asked. I am off on the tour at 6 am tomorrow- needless to say I am looking forward to the 11 hour day more than my...
  8. R

Thanks for the replies so far. Whilst I like the idea of a second body, that won't be happening as I won't have time to source one and the wife wouldn't want to carry it. I want to know what the majority of photo ops on the day will require. Should I go the standard zoom, or won't that be wide...
  9. R

Hi all I am currently in Hawaii on vacation and will be doing the Pearl Harbor tour in a couple of days. You can take a dslr but no bags, so I am restricted to a single lens. I am not sure which to take my 24-104 L or 16-35 F4 IS. Can anyone who has been give me their suggestions as to which...
  10. R

6D GPS Accuracy

I was looking at the mapping function in Lightroom and noticed that some of the locations seemed a bit wrong. These were pics from a recent trip to Europe and some of the pics such as those taken at the top of St Pauls cathedral were off on the map by a block or 2. Those taken in the same...
  11. R

London at night

Hi all, I've just returned from a European trip and spent a night out in London taking photos until 3:30 am. (The wife wasn't real happy about that). Anyway I thought I would post some pics on here from a very memorable evening. Rob
  12. R

Australia in December/January

Hi, I am a Melbourne resident. Like one of the other responders I wouldn't bother driving all the way from Melbourne to Adelaide. Either drive from Melbourne to Warnambool (this is where most locals stop if they are doing the great ocean road for sightseeing and don't have Adelaide in mind as...
  13. R

Advice - what to take to Europe

Hi All, I am a hobbyist photographer who has been getting back into photography over the last 3 years. I will be going on a holiday to Europe with approx. 6 days in London and 6 days in Paris. T24here will also be short stop overs in Dubai and the Maldives when going to and from Europe. The...
  14. R

Post processing opinion/advice

I am certainly no expert, but the sun is blown, the sky is posterized, there is virtually no colour in the lions and grass, and there is no point having a photo of lions without being able to see them. So I have got rid of the colour problems by going B&W. Unfortunately the sky is still a long...
  15. R

Landscape Lens for Crop To Make Me Go Wow!

Glad you found my earlier post helpful. I understand you being committed to staying on a crop body. I found it difficult to justify the dollars when I moved. Love the image quality but it is at a big cost. So if you are staying with the crop body then I am back to my earlier recommendation of...
  16. R

Landscape Lens for Crop To Make Me Go Wow!

Hi, I thought my experiences might help you out. I had a 550D with a canon 10-22, 18-135 STM, 50 1.8, and the 2 kit lenses 18-55 and 55-250. I got the 18-135 STM as I found the 18-55 didn't have enough reach for a general walk around lens, and when out on holidays I didn't want to be changing...
  17. R

6D & 1.4X -or- 7D Mk II?

There are only 2 reasons I can see for using a lens with a wide aperture. To allow more light in so you can use a faster shutter speed, or to produce a thin depth of field for artistic reasons. In the first instance, comparing using the 6D with a TC to a crop sensor, the extra ISO performance...
  18. R

Canon prevents me from buying the 7D Mark II

Hi, 25 years in IT here, so thought I'd throw some advice your way. Vista was junk. Win 7 64 or 8.1 64 are much better and a lot faster. Instead of buying a new PC, you can simply buy a decent SSD, install as an additional drive in your computer and setup dual boot, so you can choose which...
  19. R

An introduction and a dilemma

Hi For what it's worth here are my thoughts. Your main problem is image quality and importantly noise at high ISOs. Your needs are wildlife, people, clubs, indoors and maybe improving landscapes. A 7D will not suffice for low light. A 6D will not suffice for wildlife. A 5D MIII will cover...
  20. R

My fourth camera is a 6D

How about an ultra wide. 16/35 F4 IS.