Search results

1. Drainpipe

Patent: Canon RF 80mm f/2.8 Macro

I really do hope that Canon has a 2:1 for the RF mount. I've been using the Laowa 100mm which goes to 2:1 mag, and it's incredible. If I could have my dream macro, it'd be a 150mm f/2.8L 3:1 macro. I can dream :)
  2. Drainpipe

The Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro for the Canon RF mount is now available

Wow, that is one big disadvantage. That was the primary reason I went with the Laowa was the automatic aperture control and native 2x. Here’s to hoping Canon releases something similar!
  3. Drainpipe

The Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro for the Canon RF mount is now available

I have this lens for the EF mount, and love it. It has pretty much completely replaced the MP-E for me, and also my 100L. If Canon produced a 100L with 2x (better yet 2.5x) it would be incredible. I rarely find a need to go much beyond 2x in the field, but 1x is not enough magnification for...
  4. Drainpipe

Laowa launches new 65mm F2.8 2x Macro APO for the EOS M

The current 100mm 2x they have is incredible. I ditched the MP-E for the versatility that the 100mm provides for run and gun macro. 2x in a smaller fixed-length lens was game changing for me. High mag stacking and desktop still is MP-E, or microscope objectives.
  5. Drainpipe

Three new RF prime lenses coming in early 2020 [CR2]

Yup, not disputing that. I’m saying for a lens that goes past 1:1 magnification. This portion of my original post should have read (bold and underlined are additions): “I’m guessing it’s going to be an autofocus macro lens that can go beyond 1:1. There are a couple of manual focus lenses that...
  6. Drainpipe

Totally right, I meant for third party manufacturers (and didn’t type that).
  7. Drainpipe

I’m guessing it’s going to be an autofocus macro lens that can go beyond 1:1. There are a couple of manual focus lenses that go to 2:1 (Venus Optics 60mm and 100mm), but no autofocus. The newest 100mm from them has auto aperture (for Canon only), which is brand new for any manufacturer for a...
  8. Drainpipe

Venua Laowa 100mm macro review by Opticallimits

I have mine preordered through BH. I don’t have an EOS R (waiting for big megapixel monster), but I’m going to do a comparison against the MP-E and 100L. I’ll try to post a link here once I have it in hand and tested.
  9. Drainpipe

Venus Laowa 100mm Ultra macro up for preorder

I’m glad they are! If Canon produced an 100mm MP-E that went from infinity to 3.5x, that would be my perfect lens. It’d be monstrous, but I’d pay top dollar for something like that.
  10. Drainpipe

Venua Laowa 100mm macro review by Opticallimits

As an owner of both the MP-E and the 100L, I can tell you I’m excited to see a few more reviews and sharpness tests of this thing. I take photos of things primarily from 1x-2.5x with the MP-E, but if it’s larger than 1:1 I’m out of luck. Most jumping spiders and bugs are best at 1.5x-2x because...
  11. Drainpipe

Venus Laowa 100mm Ultra macro up for preorder

I'm really considering this as an alternative to the MP-E. I find myself rarely going above 2.5x, so this may be the ticket, with a small amount of compromise. The only design choice that I'm not a fan of is that the front element moves in such a goofy fashion. Adding a filter to the lens barrel...
  12. Drainpipe

Two more RF mount lenses could be coming in 2019 [CR2]

Are you me? I keep saying this, only I would extend those ranges to go from .5x - 4x. Half life size is great for some of the larger beetles. Really the only thing I don't like about the MP-E is that it starts at 1x. I have tried to replicate the MP-E experience with a 100L, but it's just not...
  13. Drainpipe

Two more RF mount lenses could be coming in 2019 [CR2]

I’m sincerely hoping that the MP-E 65mm gets an RF update. Slim chance it’s going to be one of these first lenses, but I can always dream.
  14. Drainpipe

Patent: Canon RF 90mm f/2.8L IS Macro & RF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

I think you would be surprised. While the MP-E is great on a tripod, it’s an excellent field lens if you have some practice with it. With the MT-24EX/MT-26RT it’s one of the most convenient solutions I’ve ever used since the flash heads move with the front of the lens. While it is a good lens...
  15. Drainpipe

Large fishing spider I found in the house

Thanks Click! Much appreciated. I thought so too. The coloration and pattern on these is really nice. Perfect camo in grass. Thanks Don! Ha! These guys do illicit a reaction much of the time :) I love having these guys around. They’re very efficient at what they do, and will keep other pests...
  16. Drainpipe

I love the MP-E, but I think it could definitely use an update. I don’t really think anything should change other than the low end of the magnification range. If it started at .5x I think it would be a huge benefit to field shooters. As far as the top end, you can always add extension tubes. In...
  17. Drainpipe

Large fishing spider I found in the house

I think this should be 1080x1080, if not my apologies- posting from mobile. Long story short, found this gorgeous Dolomedes tenebrosus in our house. Relocated to the heated garage so it can overwinter :) 5D IV, MP-E 65mm, MT-24EX 1/200, ISO200, f/11, flash heads at 1/4 each.
  18. Drainpipe

I swear if they update the MP-E for the RF mount I’ll jump off EF so fast.
  19. Drainpipe

Some recent jumping spiders

Nope, just very friendly!
  20. Drainpipe

Some recent jumping spiders

Lots of photos, all different species. Have been having a ton of luck with the jumpers this year.