Search results

1. mangobutter

Who would like to see a RECESSED sensor camera using the new APS-C sensor? Retrograde fixed lens. Hear me out

How about the new Canon APS-C sensor being used on RF-S but in a retro fixed lens package? The reason to jam the sensor back is so you can use the frontal area behind the mount for lens optics. This is how the Fujifilm X100V accomplishes such a fast lens inside a pancake profile. Half of the...
  2. mangobutter

Canon RF 50mm 1.8 -- found the Amazon pre order link

Released Dec 3. It was actually difficult to find. buy it from where you want but Adorama was going to charge me $8 to ship. https://amzn.to/388sP88
  3. mangobutter

Canon patents RF 50 1.8 and RF 14-28 F/2

Woo-wee RF 50 1.8 Focal length 48.70 F-number 1.85 half angle (in degrees) 23.95 Image height 21.64 total lens length 58.55 BF 19.38 and RF 14-28 F2 Focal length 14.42 19.78 27.16 F-number 2.06 2.06 2.06 Half angle of view 56.32 47.56 38.54 Image height 21.64 21.64 21.64 Total lens length...
  4. mangobutter

Can someone check their Canon 70-200 F4L IS II (version two) to see if rattles when shaken?

Yes, IS elements group is parked by turning off the camera before removing the lens (failed to do this one time and the IS group rattled like crazy) Once parked, the lens group STILL rattles but not loudly or not much at all. I am guessing this is normal but this lens is so new I just want to...
  5. mangobutter

Confirmation: EOS RP charging (What I successfully tested so far)

Some of you may know what works, but just wanted to add my contribution. Confirmed to work with my EOS RP and Fujifilm XT3 for charging: Anker PD 10000 portable charger iPhone 11 Pro Charger Anker in action I don't have a pic of the iPhone charger but trust me it lights up green like the...
  6. mangobutter

Just picked up the Canon 70-200mm F4L for my EOS RP

I was looking at old Lightroom files from my Canon career starting in 2005 and forgot what a joy this lens is. Offered in 1999 and still manufactured and sold today, I picked it up brand new (I rarely buy new lenses) if I can avoid it, for $549 (on sale). Imagine that, a 20 year old lens...
  7. mangobutter

I weathersealed my EOS RP for $5. DIY/Cool add on.

Love my RP, it's solid, well balanced, quite high quality. But the battery door bugged me. It jiggles around when shut and has an obvious airgap around the perimeter. There is a zig zag fitment which should in theory resist water intrusion to some degree, but I decided to step it up with stuff...
  8. mangobutter

Canon shutter message upon powering off (update) Does NOT appear with native lenses

I just received my RF 35 IS today. Guess what. No warning message. The flap closes immediately and there's no message. Turns out this message is ONLY when you have the EF to RF adapter attached. Since there does not appear to be anything different mechanically when the adapter is being used...
  9. mangobutter

RF ultrawide primes (reasonable fantasy list)

I'd love to see (reasonably speaking to keep the price down) an ultra wide to wide prime line. With the RF flange distance and Canon's quest to make new, exciting, and interesting glass, I think the following isn't all that far fetched. Yes faster would be nicer but that would drive the cost...
  10. mangobutter

Just ordered the new RF 35 1.8 IS

This lens was overlooked by many apparently, being overshadowed by all the exotic glass that came out for RF mount. At first I got the 40 2.8 pancake but with the adapter the whole setup is as big as a native lens with faster F-Stop AND IS! So I sold the 40 pancake after owning it a day (I've...
  11. mangobutter

I was wrong about FV mode... took me getting used to and now I love it. Can't go back to mode dial...

At first I didn't understand the new "FV" mode. I love the simplicity of a traditional mode dial. But the more I use FV, the more I appreciate it. And now I don't think I could go back. Basically I go into FV, I rotate the top spin dial around the "mode" button to toggle back and forth...
  12. mangobutter

Anyone finding non-responsive touch sensor? (and other half-baked EOS R implementations you'd like fixed?)

I set my left side of the touch pad to activate auto-ISO. I'll tap it and nothing happens. I suspect this is what DP Review found when they said they found when the camera meter to be running, touchpad use is disabled. But yet it still lights up as you touch it, indicating you touched it...
  13. mangobutter

No way of disabling the warning message when powering EOS R off?

It's so annoying... it delays the shutdown of the camera and I have to wait before I swap lenses (so the sensor cover closes) I cannot for the life of me find this option in custom settings. So I figure it's hard-baked into the firmware. If so, Canon, please give us the option to disable this...
  14. mangobutter

EOS M neck strap dilemma--absolutely impossible. Lost strap! No replacements...

I lost my EOS M strap... must've fell out of my bag when I was in London. Anyway... there are absolutely no solutions for this anywhere as Canon uses a proprietary lug attachment system. There's no aftermarket straps... no Canon ones on eBay... Canon's own website doesn't even acknowledge such...
  15. mangobutter

Traveling to Europe... debating what gear to bring. DSLR or EOS M?

My current lineup: EF: 6D, 16-35 F4 IS, 50 1.8, 70-200 F4L EF-M: EOS M, 22mm 2.0, Rokinon 12mm 2.0 Some old M42 mount lenses. super takumar 50 1.4, 50 2.0, 135 2.8 I am going to Barcelona, Paris, London for two weeks. Leaving in 10 days. I know Barcelona is infamous for pickpockets so I'm...
  16. mangobutter

Re: New review of old 16-35 F/2.8 II

I've owned this lens before and agree it is a great lens but I feel the review is misleading or at least unfair. It says the 16-35 F/2.8 II has superior optics to the 17-40L... it doesn't. I've owned several copies of both. Not to say it isn't good, neither is it necessarily worse... but...