Search results

1. Bernard

The Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II is the top choice for documentary filmmakers at Sundance 2021

Netflix approves cameras based on a list of must-have features that make their job much easier. Famously, their list doesn't include most Arri cameras because they aren't technically 4K. Other than that, it's a good way to tell what cameras have all the features that bigger productions need...
  2. Bernard

The fastest memory cards for your Canon EOS RP

They don't make flash memory (they get it from big suppliers like Lexar), but they do sell certified memory for specific applications. They are very popular with the video and motion picture crowd because their modules are high quality and always work as advertised. I started using their...
  3. Bernard

The fastest memory cards for your Canon EOS RP

Henry's carries Angelbird, but they don't list SD cards. I bet if you asked them they would add the listing. They've done that for me before when I asked about a product that they don't list, from a manufacturer that they carry.
  4. Bernard

Kipon first to announce third-party native RF mount lenses for the EOS R system

The designs aren't "old," they came out just a few years ago. They are old-style designs in a way, since they don't use aspheres or ultra-expensive glass. That's not a bad thing, especially for relatively slow lenses.
  5. Bernard

Patent: Cinema EOS Camera With Hybrid OVF/EVF Viewfinder

The classical application is so that the camera operator can tell where the boom mic is, and keep it as close too the top edge of the frame without being visible.
  6. Bernard

Canon officially announces the C700 Full Frame

4K60P over-crank is a useful thing. You can use it to stabilize hand-held inserts and cutaways, as well as other MOS shots. I wish Canon would offer it, but it's not a deal-breaker in most cases. It just requires some extra planning so that you have an over-crank-capable camera around when you...
  7. Bernard

Canon officially announces the C700 Full Frame

The Alexa 65 has an even larger sensor (around 5cm wide). The FF (really "VV" for Vistavision) competitor to the C700, and to the Venice , is the just-announced Alexa LF. Will shows use this format? It depends on the look that the director/cinematographer want, and how far the budget can...
  8. Bernard

Canon Cinema EOS C700 FF Coming

Makes sense. The Sony Venice FF cinema camera is getting a lot of positive buzz. Canon needs to play in that field.
  9. Bernard

Review: Canon EOS M50 by Cinema5D

Rokinon/Samyang/(whatever other names they use) sell wider lenses in EOS-M mount. Those are the same lenses they sell in M4/3 mount. The angle-of-view difference between the 4/3 and (cropped) APS-C should be minimal in 16:9 video mode.
  10. Bernard

The EF-M 11-22MM is a native EOS-M lens. Look it up. It's also 1/3 the price of the Panasonic lens you mention. I think a cheap 4K EOS-M can be useful as a crash cam or second/third/fourth cam. There are other options, but they either have lower quality, or cost a lot more.
  11. Bernard

I'm not sure the crop is a huge problem, given that you can run a zoom that starts at 11mm. I never go wider than 16 in APS-C video, and 11 is (approximately) the same angle-of-view with the crop. I wonder if these will get used as crash cams. They will be almost as cheap as GoPros or the new...
  12. Bernard

An Update on Canon's NAB 2018 Announcements [CR3]

My guess is that the C300 will get the C200's awesome RAW codec. ...and yes, it really is a great CODEC for many types of narrative work: it's very small for RAW, and it doesn't require an external recorder. Sure, it's a bit much for quick jobs, but it's really the best thing for shows that...
  13. Bernard

Lensrentals.com Puts the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS Through The Machine Testing

The reason why the 1.2 is slow to focus is because it is unit-focusing. That means all the glass moves back and forth. That's a lot of weight to move. An AF-optimized design would use a light "focusing group."
  14. Bernard

Here are Some XF400/XF405 Specifications [CR3]

4096x2160 is the sensor resolution used. The footage can then get cropped to 3840x2160 for UHD (and scaled-down to 1920x1080 for regular HD). Alternatively, the full 4096 can be used, and the horizontal res can be cropped for 1.85 (standard cinema) or various "flat" widescreen aspect ratios...
  15. Bernard

Here are Some XF400/XF405 Specifications [CR3]

DCI 4K is not an output format. It's meant to be cropped to UHD (16:9), or anamorphic, or 1.85, etc. No need for any of that here, these are consumer camcorders. 16:9 is what consumers have at home on their televisions (and other screens).
  16. Bernard

Review: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

I absolutely love the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro. This lens should be just as good (although a little bigger) for those who use the EF-S mount.
  17. Bernard

Poll: What Do You Think About the EOS Canon 6D Mark II?

My biggest (and only) gripe is the lack of interchangeable screens, but I wasn't given that option to choose that, ironically.
  18. Bernard

More Detailed Specifications for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II

I feel you would especially appreciate the book I suggested, given your background. I've gone through your suggested exercise with the 5DIII and again with the 5DS. No need to do it a third time. You can, eventually, get some sharp shots using a fuzzy screen and estimating the middle distance...
  19. Bernard

It's a question of cost. The latch mechanism is cheap enough, but the screen itself has to be aligned within a few microns. That's tough to do in a high-volume camera. The same logic goes for "98%" screen coverage. It gives them a 2% leeway, which saves a lot of adjustment on the production...
  20. Bernard

No you can not. There's an optical reason why a focusing screen that is optimized for slower lenses can not be focused critically with faster lenses. The short version is that the screen itself only show f:2.8 (or 4.0) DoF at best. Any number of basic optical texts explain this. I'm sorry if...