Search results

1. hmatthes

A Canon RF 100mm f/2L IS USM Macro gets a mention [CR1]

Very good description. I love my 100/2.8 macro sometimes for portraits but the 85/1.8 typically is better for my tastes. But my favorite is my 1963 Leica Summicron 90/2.0 for its amazing portrait qualities (lack of clinical harshness, insanely good micro-contrast and bokeh, and slight softness...
  2. hmatthes

Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Not mentioned, three things needed to have me switch my primary from Leica/SL (my backup is EOS R): 1. Joystick under my thumb 2. Dual cards 3. GPS (Im often away from cell access, thus killing phone GPS. If so, I'm all over it!
  3. hmatthes

Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Pressing in on the focus nubbin brings up 6x or 10x zoom with my Leica SL. Genius! I shoot manual focus fairly often and this is essential...
  4. hmatthes

Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

I love the idea of two new Rs simultaneously: A professional R2 (32 meg 5R?) and a hi-res (70 meg 5Rs) version at a higher price. BOTH should have IBIS, thumb nubbin for AF point selection, GPS, twin SD cards (OK, CFexpress in 5Rs), EF adapter in the box, and a rear desk exactly like the 5DIV -...
  5. hmatthes

Canon again mentions a Pro EOS R body, with IBIS and dual card slots

I came within inches of ordering the Panasonic S1 but then sanity took over! All of my Canon EF glass works perfectly on the R -- they suck on SL via lousy adapters. Why try a Sigma adapter on a Panasonic body? Both of my RF lenses are just incredible on the R. All my Leica M lenses are...
  6. hmatthes

I'm so sorry SteveC, I've been calling Leica Rangefinder lenses "M Glass" for over 50 years... I keep forgetting that Canon, too, has "M:" lenses for APSc.
  7. hmatthes

I've not had a moment's regret with my R and two RF lenses. All of my EF lenses work perfectly. Now, with proper adapter, I'm shooting M glass on my R as well. What's to complain about? Well I also shoot a Leica SL with M lenses. It has a joystick and dual cards (both SD like they should...
  8. hmatthes

SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

I am very happy with the Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN on the Leica SL. I especially appreciate (1) aperture ring with "A" position; (2) great image quality; (3) great build quality ... but $550 seems high for a slow normal prime.
  9. hmatthes

Patent: Canon is working on shrinking the size of mirrorless cameras

I would welcome a smaller R body. I mainly shoot old Leica M (Rangefinder) lenses on my R and absolutely love the results. The image quality is beyond expectations and the ability to zoom in for fine-focus is uncanny. This combination is better than trying to use a rangefinder; the R is smaller...
  10. hmatthes

Patent: Multiple small RF prime lens optical formulas

Thank you Del Paso... As soon as I really used the Voigtlander Skopar 21 -- I returned it to the dealer. Terrible magenta in all corners and Adobe RAW could not remove it by profile. Then I went to eBay and bought another Canon 20mm f2.8 -- a treasure of a lens!
  11. hmatthes

Patent: Multiple small RF prime lens optical formulas

Sadly I just sold my EF20 2.8 -- what great lens! I found it big with the adapter and I usually shoot it manually. Now I shoot a Voigtlander 21/4 Skopar until I find a good Leica 21mm that is not over-priced.
  12. hmatthes

Industry News: The upcoming Leica SL2 product images and specs have leaked

Using a borrowed SL1 was incredible. With it was a 50mm Summilux 1.4 and the combination was magnificent. But very pricy. Then I upgraded my FF Canon to the mirrorless R and bought an inexpensive Leica M to Canon RF adapter. The 50mm Summicron 2.0 with the sensor of the R gives me even better...
  13. hmatthes

Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming in 2020 [CR1]

I am also very happy with the RF35 1.8 -- I also shoot a EF35 1.4L on the R with control ring adapter but rarely now that I have the RF35 1.8 -- the EF35 1.4L is for sale...
  14. hmatthes

Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming in 2020 [CR1]

The only f1.2 holding my interest is the 85/1.2L - most portraits demand such a lens! 35mm is the choice for outdoor shooting where my RF35/1.8 really is perfect -- better than my EF35/1.4L in actual use. My RF35/1.8 is always with me. I'm selling my EF35/1.4L due to lack of use. It was great...
  15. hmatthes

Canon explains RF lens technology and why bigger is better (sometimes)

If you have troubles viewing it, go directly to
  16. hmatthes

Is a native EF mount coming to a Canon full frame mirrorless camera? [CR1]

I am very happy with my EOS R. The images are phenomenal and I have all the glass I need (some being replaced with RF glass).
  17. hmatthes

Canon RF 14-21mm f/1.4L USM one of the “crazy” lenses coming next year [CR1]

35mm Summilux on an adapter... Does this work well? I love my EF35 f1.4 on an adapter but it is huge! And I love the Summilux 1.7 on my Leica Q -- M glass on EOS R !!!
  18. hmatthes

Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in stock and ready to ship

RF 35mm f1.8 is an outstanding lens on my R and should be a natural on the smaller RP... and under $450
  19. hmatthes

Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L & RF 85mm f/1.2L in the works [CR1]

Another reason that the R is perfect for our old eyes... I use AF but touch up focus sometimes. The R rewards me with manual focus "assist" with focus highlighting or the focus arrows. If the R picks the wrong eye (in my mind) I instantly make minor adjustment and fire. My actual success rate...
  20. hmatthes

Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro to be offered as an EOS RP kit lens in Japan

As an R owner with the lots of EF glass, the RF24~105, and the RF35, the RP will be a great entry point. I carry my R with the 35 which makes the 24~105 feel huge. The EF50 stm on control ring adapter makes a great normal lens but my style runs more toward 35 anyway. YES! offer the RP with...