Search results

1. F

Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Bandwidth between sensor and the DIGIC chip and processing speed of the DIGIC processing chip likely are limiting factors. 120 fps @ 30 MP 14-bit/pixel ~= 50 Gbits/second. You can slice that data-rate however you want -- 120 fps @ 30 MP or 60 fps @ 60 MP or 40 fps @ 90 MP, and so on. For a...
  2. F

Upcoming 2024 Canon RF lens recap

That works for me too!
  3. F

Canon 1st Quarter 2024 Financials

I think it is quite possible that they mismanaged. Canon might have thought that the lower end lenses would sell better (given that they are selling R50s and R100s by the truckload to maintain their market share, and they had hoped that people buying those would also buy more lenses) and higher...
  4. F

Maybe, but the strategy itself seems faulty. Why would Canon let people willing to pay full price for lenses languish on waiting lists when they can take their money now and guarantee a full priced sale? It could be that Canon just have worse supply chain problems involving higher end...
  5. F

Lots of possible reasons: high initial QC reject rate than anticipated, tighter tolerances required for a specific part, accidentally underestimated demand and didn't make enough. Doesn't have to be a deliberate move to restrict production or distribution.
  6. F

I personally think "weeks" is not unreasonable, especially if they want to avoid lots of leaks (e.g. Leica SL3, which was comprehensively leaked before the official announcement), but just hope that the initial shipments are large.
  7. F

It would really have to be an order of magnitude more for the dollar impact on profit to be similar. Take two lenses that were announced together: RF-S 10-18 and the 200-800. RF-S 10-18: MSRP $329 RF 200-800: MSRP $1899 For the same impact on revenue, Canon would have to sell almost 6x more...
  8. F

There are people on lists, with payment information, wanting to give Canon full MSRP in exchange for a lens today. The chance for Canon to avoid discounting lenses is here right now. The longer Canon keeps them waiting, the more people on those lists will drop out. I don't think Canon will...
  9. F

That seems like a rather convoluted explanation of the stock situation to me. I imagine Canon would rather take the revenue and profit now instead of behaving like Rolex in terms of restricting supply (and people tolerate Rolex only because the market price for some watches are higher than the...
  10. F

So Canon is prioritizing high volume and low margin lenses (e.g. consumer grade lenses)? Isn't that detrimental to the bottom line and operating margins? Selling $1M worth of kit lenses might net Canon $100k in operating margin, but selling $1M worth of 200-800s might well double that. The...
  11. F

Don’t think so, judging from previous releases it will be an early Q3 thing. The last announcement (24-105Z) was on Nov 2nd, but the lens only shipped almost 6 weeks later on Dec 13.
  12. F

It won't be that cheap. An f/0.95 lens is one stop faster than a f/1.2 lens, and one stop brighter usually means 2-4x the price. The other first party f/0.95 FF lenses from manufacturers are the Leica 50/0.95 at $13k, and the Nikon Z 58/0.95 Noct at $8,000 -- both without AF. If Canon makes...
  13. F

$10k lens right there with the size and weight of the 100-300mm f/2.8L, so market might be (even more) limited. Personally, I think a RF 200 f/2L IS with the same weight and price as the Sony 300/2.8 GM would be great.
  14. F

What happened to the 200-500/4? I would think it will be great to showcase that at the Olympics.
  15. F

The first SIGMA RF lens arrives in July, more in Q4 of 2024

I mean people will keep complaining until the entire portfolio of Sigma lenses are available on RF. Meanwhile, Canon will do what makes sense for Canon financially, whatever forum commenters like us say.
  16. F

The first SIGMA RF lens arrives in July, more in Q4 of 2024

Not gonna lie, I would like the Sigma 14/1.4 and 15/1.4 Fisheye on my R5 (or the Canon equivalent, I don't really care who makes it).
  17. F

Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

If you believe the Chinese rumors, then the R1 will be 30 MP but can do 120 fps with full AE/AF. That’s would be the headline spec. No global shutter according to that rumor, but sub 1 millisecond readout time on a very fast stacked sensor. Basically a direct competitor against the A9III. I...
  18. F

Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

Unfortunately I don't really see Canon fleshing out the UWA bits of the prime lens line-up (anything under 24mm) this year -- the 35L, maybe 24L etc will take precedence. For now, I think a A7CR with some combination of Sigma 14/1.4, 15/1.4, 20/1.4, and 24/1.4 is probably the best bet if you...
  19. F

MAP Camera: Nikon takes top spots

Wow the Q3 made the list? That is by far the most expensive camera on the list, though I guess it is Leica's entry level digital camera.
  20. F

Canon EOS R1 and EOS R5 Mark II marketing and training has begun with preferred retailers

I looked a couple of weeks ago and on the lenses side this seems to be primarily a Canon issue (https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/canon-eos-r5-mark-ii-will-ship-in-june-or-july.43376/page-4#post-990158).