Search results

1. hazydave

Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

It is a line for consumers. Not pros. Why does that seem to aggrevate folks? Canon did no better with the EF-S lineup.
  2. hazydave

Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

Much like M43, the EOS M line sells very well, and yet, pundits keep wishing it away for some reason. Canon never intended M to be a professional system. That seems to bother people. And no, you can't put an M lens on an RF body, but you could never put an EF-S lens on an EF body either. Sure...
  3. hazydave

There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

The "small quantity low quality" claim makes no sense. If you can't get the parts you need, you wait for the parts. You can, of course, qualify alternatives, but given the sketchy supply of critical small components over the past decade, anyone starting a production run that has not done that...
  4. hazydave

Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Seems unlikely, especially in a FF camera. Olympus did say they believed the earth's rotation limited IBIS to 6.5 stops. That was based on the way they did the gyroscope design, and they got 6.5 stops with hybrid IBIS/OIS in the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. But they redesigned the gyros for the E-M1 X and...
  5. hazydave

What surprises does Canon still have in store for the EOS-1D X Mark III?

Other 6K or 5.9K "hybrid" cameras are using the whole sensor for 6K and require an anamorphic lens for 16:9 or other wide formats. Yeah, sort of a cheat, but the point would be that it can shoot full sensor video.
  6. hazydave

Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Probably something like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 X autofocus system. It's got deep learning AI models for various kinds of vehicles. So you're shooting an auto race, you put in "automobile" mode, and the camera basically just knows what a car is and locks on. This is not about the camera itself...
  7. hazydave

Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

It's a matter of both shutter speed and image processing performance. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II can do 10fps CAF, 15fps SAF, with the mechanical shutter, 18fps CAF, 60fps SAF with electronic shutter. The mirror + shutter is the physical limit, and while that's slowly increased, they're probably...
  8. hazydave

SIGMA again announces EF-M lenses, and mount conversion service

Canon pretty much regards the EOS M system as consumer-only. It's a shame, they have some nice offerings in bodies, but no high end glass. Sigma does make some Art lenses designed for APS-C. That's what they should offer for the EOS M!
  9. hazydave

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

All-I serves at least two purposes. One is ease the editing burden, sure. And yeah, on my current PC, DCI-4K feels like DV used to. Not an issue if you have the budget. And of course, one could argue that All-I is too storage intense for consumers, too. The second is to support high motion...
  10. hazydave

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

Hi! Computer Engineer here. It's not a hardware issue. If you can handle 30p, you can handle 24p. In fact, if you recall, they updated the original Canon 5D Mark II in software to support 24p, after it was already out in the market. Now, is it technically possible to design a video subsystem...
  11. hazydave

Canon EOS 90D full specifications

I'd bet that this is here to placate both 80D and 7Dii users, beast as any single model can, and yeah, the real pro/enthusiast upgrade to the 7Dii will be mirrorless. And yeah, that puts Canon in the weird position of supporting two incompatible APS-C systems.
  12. hazydave

No mention of 24p in these, either. And still the completely pointless 30 minute recording limit. Still no support for 64-bit files, even though every SDXC card is formatted with a 64-bit file system (ok, that last one is kind of a minor nit). And not much in the way of higher frame rates...
  13. hazydave

A full frame sensor with the same pixel pitch would have an 83.2 megapixel sensor. And hey, the rumor mill does suggest a FF EOS 5DS replacement may sport something in the 70-80 megapixel range.
  14. hazydave

Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

It's a XXD, so APS-C sensor, is my bet. Full Frame has always been the XD series.
  15. hazydave

An APS-C sensor equipped EOS R camera mentioned again [CR1]

I'm not sure who "we" is.. but Canon may need EOS M, at least for the time being. They're selling far more EOS M gear -- yes, mostly in Asia -- than EOS R at present. I do agree that would leave them in kind of a weird situation, two different mounts for the same sensor size. And additionally...
  16. hazydave

Canon thinks the camera market will drop by another 50% over the next two years

There actually are a few reasons to leave them out. Part of it's the practical need for computation on-camera. Smartphones are already adding AI processors to deal with these things, additional cost, additional battery power. Sure, I guess we can turn them off, but the set of AI things that make...
  17. hazydave

Canon thinks the camera market will drop by another 50% over the next two years

I believe them. If you look at camera sales for serious cameras going back to the 1960s and 1970s, even then, you'll see that sales were fairly flat until some technology improvement boosted things. There was a big jump in the late 70s/early 80s, thanks mostly to Canon's AE-1 and their hard...
  18. hazydave

As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

All RF lenses, no EF lenses in 2019 sounds like a correct move for Canon. Right now, the EOS R is really only for Canon users with plenty of EF glass to adapt. No one outside of the Canon ecosystem is going to look at jumping into EOS R if they're after a mirrorless system. Getting the EOS R out...
  19. hazydave

Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

Battery life on a DSLR is pretty consistent. I get about 1,000 shots on the 6D no matter what. On mirrorless, it's much more variable. I bought a Sony RX10 last Spring, same battery as the A7 and CIPA rated for 400 shots. At a four day music festival, lots of fast sports-like shooting, I got...
  20. hazydave

Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

It will be interesting to see what Canon actually does. They did very well outside the USA with EOS M, unlike Nikon and their consumer mirrorless system. But both Nikon and Canon are dead last in the serious mirrorless race. They can expect to get their own users buying mirrorless -- the launch...