Search results

1. N

What’s going on with Canon Speedlites?

I\'m not a huge Speedlite shooter. I have two 600EX-RT II Speedlites and use them periodically. I rented the EL-1 for a shoot as a companion/comparison on my R5 body. Nice flash, fast recycle and it works with an external pack. That said, it\'s not worth $1000! No way. I use an Elinchrom ELB500...
  2. N

The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

I, personally, want a slight bit of blackout in the viewfinder. It give me a reinforced sense of what I shot. On my R5, the zero blackout at 20 FPS is a bit concerting. What I don't like is the stuttering of the viewfinder, which is better on the R5 than the R. The more it can mimic an SLR/DSLR...
  3. N

The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Maybe it is 24MP (in which case, I'll be very disappointed) and maybe it's not. The EXIF does NOT differentiate RAW from JPEG for the little bit of data shown. I shoot RAW+JPEG on my R5. I shoot medium JPEGs. The EXIF data shows dimensions 5808x3872 for the JPEGs. The exifviewers.com only works...
  4. N

Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

This is what I've been wanting - a 1Dx-ish body in mirrorless. My R is OK. My R5 is a huge step up. But having owned almost every 1D-series camera since the beginning, I wanted the BUTTONS and other controls rather than being forced into the menu.
  5. N

Patent: Is Canon planning to release catadioptric (mirror) super telephoto lenses?

I love mirror lenses! I still own a 35-year old Canon FD 500/8 lens. I am most excited by the adapter I now have -- an FD to RF. After some test frames with my R5, great lens, very good sharpness and easy to use now that there is focus peaking. So, an RF with IS and even autofocus? Bring it on...
  6. N

Here is the Canon EOS R3

Personally, I think it's much nicer looking than a comparable Sony (always hated their ergonomics). I also like the larger grip that's built-in rather than an add-on.
  7. N

DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

Yes. And that's why you would want to use a Canon Cinema camera, not a still camera that shoots video.
  8. N

DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

It's still a great stills camera. And that is what I want. I really don't care about video especially, except to do some FHD video clips for clients on shoots periodically (And I still have my R for that). I'm a still photographer first and foremost so it fits the bill for that. I sold my 1Dx...
  9. N

DXOMark tests the Canon EOS R image sensor, scores it at 89

"I’m one of those crazy people that doesn’t care about dynamic range though..." I'm with you on that one. DPReview and others seem to salivate over that. In reality, in the past 8 years, I've yet to shoot a situation where I felt I didn't have enough dynamic range. For my normal commercial...
  10. N

Dynamic range comparison between the EOS RP, EOS 6D Mark II and EOS R

Honestly, most of the "dynamic range" BS is just that -- BS. Shooting professionally since 1976, digitally since 2000, I can safely say that DR in Canons are significantly better than, say, the 1Ds. But in the past 5 years, at least, I've never had an issue on a shoot where I said to myself...
  11. N

Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

Having rented an EOS R for a week, I can safely say it does nothing to assuage my impression that mirrorless cameras suck. Maybe in 5 years that opinion will change, but there is nothing compelling about then for me. I used a friend's Sony a7r III and had the same opinion. The feeling I have...
  12. N

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Oh, and I hate SD cards. I have 250GB of CF cards I use...
  13. N

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

God, I hope not. As a 5Ds user, that would suck. Having used both my 5Ds and a friend's Sony a7R III, I'm not convinced of the usability in many situations I shoot and for my shooting style. My opinion may change after a rental of the EOS R, but I'm not likely to see it at this point. I also...
  14. N

Sigma Announces Two New Mirrorless Cameras: Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H

Not really. If you think about, many viewfinders, if not in the center, are shifted to the left. I'm a left-eyed shooter and always b*tch about my nose being pressed against the back of the camera. For a change, my nose will be free of that! I've never been a huge fan of EVF cameras, but I like...