Search results

1. clbayley

Surface Pro 8 vs Surface Pro X

I am cross shopping the new Surface Pro 8 vs the revamped Surface Pro X. The form factors and pens are virtually identical, the big difference is Intel Gen 11 vs Microsoft SQ2 (ARM). Now that Photoshop has native ARM, has anyone compared the performance for Photoshop? I know ARM is not fully...
  2. clbayley

Canon R5 vs R6 + Topaz GigaPixel

Any lucky folks with both an R5 and R6 want to try an experiment? With the advancement of software solutions, I am curious how a 45MP shot from the R5 compared to a 20MP shot with the R6 that has been "Gigapixeled" x2? I have not tried GigaPixel but I sure see some positive reviews! I do use...
  3. clbayley

There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

What if it's not the camera itself? Photographers need a new version of DPP with a modern user interface!
  4. clbayley

A higher end EOS M body is in the pipeline [CR1]

Just a little snark on my end. There are lots off comments about small EF-M lenses being all that is needed. I was just poking that there are those of us who use a crop with long lenses. EF makes the most sense, but if the M mount will be the only APS-C camera, then make a dedicated crop long...
  5. clbayley

A higher end EOS M body is in the pipeline [CR1]

EF-M 500mm f/5.6 DO....amiright?
  6. clbayley

Show your Bird Portraits

Back to bird pictures... I have been waiting for an overcast winter day to get the right colour pop from my House Finches! BTW - this is the 90D with 100-400mm ver ii...ISO 2000 cleaned up with Topaz DeNoise AI (I used the AI Clear mode)
  7. clbayley

Red squirrels

Canadian Red Squirrel, preparing for winter. No focus issues with the 90D here!
  8. clbayley

Show your Bird Portraits

Hello all, Its been a while since I posted a picture...been without a camera. Getting settled with the 90D. I did have some focus problems at first (using a 100-400 ver ii). I took the advice and turned off the face recognition. I also found that the IS mode 1 worked much better than mode...
  9. clbayley

90D Autofocus help

I really appreciate all your comments! I kinda knew that I needed more distance for the 400mm...but I did run into the small target problem too. You have reminded me that I have a Focal account, so I ran my combo through that software a few times. Still on the short side, but Focal was giving...
  10. clbayley

90D Autofocus help

Hello CR! I am playing around with my new 90D on my 100-400L verII. I am trying to dial in the autofocus, as I am not seeing crisp eyes in my bird photographs. For all the AFMA experts out there, I have attached a picture of the calibration target. I would appreciate some help interpreting...
  11. clbayley

EOS 90D - Hands on review

AlanF - I am curious about your finding of the Nik Denoise plugin. I don't know if I have ever seen you mention it. How does it compare to DXO? I like it because you can move the control points around and aggressively denoise the background while being gentle on the subject...
  12. clbayley

IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

I am convinced the upcoming 90D (or whatever it gets called) is going to be the head scratcher. It is going to be the trial ground for new tech...new sensor, IBIS, might even put the R mount on a mirrored camera (would the APS-C sensor accept the new flange distance?). The R mount still has...
  13. clbayley

Patent: Canon camera with in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization working together.

Wondering if the "head scratcher" will be a 32MP APS-C mirrored crop camera with R mount and first implementation of IBIS. Sort of a mixed bag of trial technologies.
  14. clbayley

EOS R vs 80D

Hello all! I suppose I consider myself a candidate for the EOS R, as I would be upgrading from the 80D. I mostly do bird portraits with my 100-400 Mkii. I feel the focus speed and the noise on the 80D are my limiters. I have been reading all the user impressions and feel the EOS R would be a...
  15. clbayley

Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

I haven't seen it mentioned yet...but assuming the mount allows a recessed R lens, but also accepts EF lens, should it not also be able to accept EF-S lens? 15-85 on FF? Just thinking out loud... CB
  16. clbayley

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Black Terns are aggressively defending their nest areas right now...
  17. clbayley

Show your Bird Portraits

I made a goal to shoot a yellow headed blackbird before the end of summer. Today I found a willing model...
  18. clbayley

Miscellaneous Wildlife

:)
  19. clbayley

Show your Bird Portraits

@Jack - really late, but regarding your sparrow, I believe it is a Savannah Sparrow, with the yellow eyebrow. I caught one last year... CB
  20. clbayley

Miscellaneous Wildlife

I ran into a beaver in the middle of a city park! Not shy at all... Rundle Park, Edmonton, AB, Canada