Search results

1. pmjm

Canon is planning an EOS R5 C Mark II [CR2]

If they gave it a full-size HDMI, I would upgrade without a question. That's how much I detest the micro. Clog2 would also be a nice-to-have, and autofocus improvements. The AF is already quite good, especially after the last update, but next gen will be better and I would expect the same...
  2. pmjm

Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

The other benefit to crop mode is you won't get shut down for overheating at all, the only limit is the 30 minute one. And I agree the footage is really good. 4KHQ is still a bit sharper but with a tiny bit of software sharpening it'll be hard to tell the difference. Where it'll make a...
  3. pmjm

Preorder the Canon EOS R5 C

If you're vlogging on a wide-angle lens, IBIS can cause some issues. These are well documented on YouTube. There's still OIS in many lenses and digital stabilization in the R5C with a 1.1X crop. But if you're more photo focused, the R5 is probably a better way to go. You can still do amazing...
  4. pmjm

I was hoping for IBIS. But I have trouble with it on the R5. Weird wobbles when shooting wider than, say, 35mm. For a video-first camera, lack of IBIS isn't a dealbreaker as you're usually on a rig, gimbal or other stabilizer anyway. If you're more of a photo shooter and need IBIS, get the R5...
  5. pmjm

Instant buy for me. My only disappointments are the Micro HDMI and the lack of IBIS, but this has everything else I could want out of a camera as a hybrid-but-video-first shooter. Got my preorder in, anyone see a shipping date anywhere?
  6. pmjm

Venus Optics announces the Laowa Argus 45mm f/0.95 FF for the RF mount

This is obviously a very boutique lens that is certain to have its fans, but to me, f/0.95 with manual focus sounds like more work than I'm willing to put in.
  7. pmjm

The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

FINALLY! For years I've been waiting for the camera that will let me crop into the spinach stuck between my model's teeth and blow that up into a billboard. THANK YOU CANON!
  8. pmjm

Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

Another factor with the Ninja is you bypass Canon's stupid 30 minute internal record timer. Hopefully they disable that in an update. One downside with the R5 and the Ninja, however, is the damn micro HDMI port. I've already broken two cables just with regular usage. Why Canon didn't include a...
  9. pmjm

The 4KHQ is the best looking 4K I've ever seen out of a camera. I'm using it with the Ninja though so that's an additional expense and bulk. But it gives you virtually unlimited record times in HQ and also gives you a codec you can edit without proxies. Combined with the Ninja it is indeed a...
  10. pmjm

Gimbals add weight, an extra battery to die, and every time you change lenses you have to rebalance. As a one-man-band it's just too much. The R5's ibis has been a godsend so far. If they can solve overheating at 4khq it will be my perfect camera. That said, if this new cine cam has ibis...
  11. pmjm

Is it just me, or are all of the Canon supplied LUTs kind of junk when used with R5 log footage?

It's not just you. The Canon luts have been tough for me so far too. Thank you @Ramage for the heads up on those, will give them a try. I'm new to both shooting and grading log but so far it's been a really rough task to get something that looks better than the standard profiles, but when it...
  12. pmjm

Gordon Laing explains the updates in firmware v1.1.0 for the Canon EOS R5

That's a very fair assessment. I do a lot of self-filming without any help so if the BlackMagic offered continuous eye-AF that'd be an instant-buy for me. I'm sticking with the R5 due to being heavily invested in EF glass, but with an external recorder. The whole rig is a little unwieldy, but...
  13. pmjm

I hope so, but my livelihood is going to depend on this so I won't update until I know for sure, or if I can confirm that the firmware update is reversable.
  14. pmjm

Does anyone know if I install the update and somehow get less 4KHQ time on an external recorder with the memory card removed, can I revert back to the original firmware?
  15. pmjm

Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

And where's your engineering degree to affirm Canon's approach? I may be an amateur in electronics engineering (even though I've designed my fair share of circuits), but I know business. Crippling one tier of product to protect another is a textbook play. We can't say for certain that's what...
  16. pmjm

Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

The concern we should all share is that these are not limitations in engineering, rather they're artificial limits ordered by executives. The evidence is pretty clear that the camera locks you out even when internal temperatures are in normal operating range. I would like to see this addressed...
  17. pmjm

More Canon announcements coming in 2020

I have my fingers crossed that the cinema cameras will be announced at the end of August, while I'm still within the R5 return window. Even then, they're selling for $1k over retail on eBay so it might really be worth upgrading if the specs are right. Got a couple of Aputure 300D II's stuck in...
  18. pmjm

Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 support added to Adobe software

This is true. But that will not change until there's new hardware which could take years. I think it was a poor choice on Canon's side to use a codec that even high end PC's can't handle. I have a Threadripper 3970X ($2k for the cpu alone) and it can manage to decode a single r5 stream in...
  19. pmjm

Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 support added to Adobe software

So glad to finally be able to import my cr3's directly. Hoping for DxO Photolab support soon too. Now if Premiere could just edit the R5's h.265 files without choking we'd really be able to make some stuff.
  20. pmjm

More information about the upcoming RF mount Cinema EOS series of cameras [CR2]

Not internally, no. But the previous poster never mentioned internal, and they even said 4k raw was not a requirement just a pipe dream. But to get decent 4k out of the R5 you need an external recorder ANYWAY. The R5's 8K mode is, for all intents and purposes, a gimmick. I own an R5 and have...