Search results

1. M

What do you use the control ring for? Is it worth the extra cost between the two EF adapters?

I just got an R8. The camera has so many dial rings on the body that I'm not sure if the control ring is really worth the extra $70 on the two EF adapters, with vs without ring. I haven't used the one R lens I got with the camera enough to tell which adapter I should get for my EF lenses that...
  2. M

How to arrange lighting in a room of mirrors and glass?

I need to take some action shots at the martial arts studio I attend. Fortunately it will all be staged so I can arrange the subjects, not a competition. The overhead lighting is horrible for photography (isn't it always...). The room is about 60 feet by 40 feet, with mirrors from 2 feet off the...
  3. M

Windows 10 Photo Viewer has started mangling the exposure on CR2 files

I use Photo Viewer as a quickie slideshow of a new batch of pictures but lately it has taken to showing the image as-shot for about half a second then it mangles the exposure badly and orients vertical shots to horizontal. Anyone else having this nonsense happen?? It is only with CR2 files, not...
  4. M

webcam utility color balance?

Anyone know how to adjust that? People say my picture looks amazingly sharp then ask why am I all yellowish-brown... thanks to lousy older LEDs the color balance is completely off and it's with 2 different model cameras, a 6D and a 77D. The utility has no interface at all and the camera's own...
  5. M

Canon released the Windows 1.0 version of webcam software

The Windows version is upgrade from beta to official release. Head to the Canon website to download. Unlike the beta version that I could never get to work, this version is functioning, woo!
  6. M

Nikon cutting way back on genuine parts for repairs in the USA

In March of next year it looks like Nikon users will have to send their cameras in to one of only two repair centers if they want genuine parts: Ifixit article The most interesting line in the article is "Every shop owner we spoke with mentioned that Canon, while no longer offering warranty...
  7. M

Windows 10 login backgrounds have credits now

Did anyone else notice that recently the Windows 10 login screen photos are now showing credit to the photographers? There was some grumbling that Microsoft was paying for stock images unbeknownst to the photographers but also that the images were completely uncredited. Now it shows the...
  8. M

6D wifi connect vs no internet connection makes Android switch over to home wifi

Most of the time I use my 6D's wifi to transfer to my Android phone when I'm out and about. So the camera is set up in standalone hotspot mode. Sometimes however I want to use it at home if the computer is turned off and I just want one picture out, etc. But the Android phone complains that the...
  9. M

Canon USA website has a new 'recommend a lens' feature that is comically bad

Go to the 'Products' section then 'Lenses' and it offers to walk through a set of menus to advise you... What model camera do you have? 77D. What do you want to take pictures of? Action. Indoor or outdoor? Indoor. Are you willing to spend more or less than $500? More. We recommend just for...
  10. M

Is anyone interested in this new EL-100?

This new flash announced along with the R camera seems strangely anachronistic. Why would an all new model use the old optical wireless?
  11. M

How to make kids with books pictures more interesting?

I volunteer at my daughter's elementary school for a program they have where if a child reads enough books they get their picture taken with their favorite. Someone else photoshops a theme background to them so I have to use the basic white background of the projector screen. The librarian has...
  12. M

How do you name tag or otherwise label your gear?

I put return address labels on the bottoms of my cameras with my phone number in case I lose one but the things get ripped up when using a tripod/monopod so I was looking for something better. Obviously an outright theft will not get it back (except maybe if it is ransomed). Also depends on how...
  13. M

Other flashes getting RT?

Is there any hope that the smaller flashes will make the transition to radio control as slaves? There are now 3 wireless methods; RT, IR, and strobe. It would be nice to get them all on the same system.