Search results

1. R

Opinion on M Lens being discontinued from 3rd parties

I haven't read all the posts here, so forgive me if this isn't applicable, but as for M-lenses, I have an adaptor for my M5 camera from Canon that allows me to use EF lenses. Some are kind of big, but they work fine.
  2. R

Who's still hanging in?

I store my camera gear in beat-up trash bags when I have to leave it in my car.
  3. R

Looking to buy, sell or trade used gear? Check out our new partner MPB

I recently sold two Canon white lenses to MBP and was very happy with how easy it was and how quickly I got paid. They even paid me more for one lens than their quote.
  4. R

Who's still hanging in?

The other thing I like about the M system is it's not as big of a hit if it is stolen. I recently had a resort rental I was staying in robbed. I fortunately only lost some checks and they caught the guy the same day, but I would feel really bad if I had really expensive equipment stolen. I can...
  5. R

Who's still hanging in?

I have my old M5 and a bunch of M lenses and it's my go-to for about everything. I LOVE that system. Sold my 6DII and also have an RP, but prefer the M5. Had an R6 but sold it, also the R100-500 lens. Just didn't like carrying them as well.I like the way the camera is so unobtrusive that I can...
  6. R

Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM: First Impressions

I just bought an R6 with the 100-500. I'm returning the 100-500 today (ready to go) and have ordered an RF100-400. Why go down in quality? I like what I see posted for 100-400 results, but basically, it all comes down to weight. I can barely carry around the RF100-500, and it doesn't make me...
  7. R

As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

I think he's saying that those cameras somehow mysteriously know to take shots w/o you so when you blow it you still have some good shots. I'm surprised Canon even has a chance when the competition uses that kind of AI. :)
  8. R

As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

I could see people buying mirrorless and then putting their previously-owned EF lenses on them just so they don't have to mess with lens calibration. That's a huge benefit to me, anyway, being an impatient eat dessert now type.
  9. R

Did you get/treat yourself to anything new during the holidays?

Interesting, as I also gave my almost new SL2 w/ kit lens to my niece, who loves it.
  10. R

Did you get/treat yourself to anything new during the holidays?

I ordered myself a copy of the new book by photographer Paul Souders: Arctic Solitaire: A Boat, a Bay, and the Quest for the Perfect Bear https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1680511041/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It came highly recommended by the Alaska Daily News. Hasn't yet...
  11. R

Brand new Canon 6D M2 unresponsive

Go back in time and read some of the reviews. Some were pretty scathing. How unbiased? Who knows, but like I said, it’s a fine camera. I love mine. And I never mentioned reliability, that I recall. I don’t think a new camera would be considered either way, since that’s a test of time.
  12. R

Brand new Canon 6D M2 unresponsive

Given the bad press the 6DM2 has gotten, it would make me paranoid also. Nothing wrong with asking if it's a battery problem or not. He could theoretically put in a new battery only to have the same problem reoccur after the return window, so better to ask and see if others have had the same...
  13. R

Happy Boxing Day

And yesterday was unboxing day, right? The cat has the right idea, as cats always do. (Beautiful cat, BTW.)
  14. R

Canon 7DII performing weirdly after resetting

Was it very cold out? Did you take it home and try it with fully-charged batteries? The reset might have been just a coincidence or maybe used enough charge that it sent the batteries into weird mode. Cold batteries do strange things sometimes. But if you're in San Jose and it's warm, that's...
  15. R

Any recommendations on books for nighttime sky photography?

Clicking on Steve’s link also took me to the Canon store. Her site is Jenniferwu.com. Her book is excellent. Another excellent book is Glenn Randall’s Dusk to Dawn. He covers technical stuff in great depth and is also an amazing photographer. His and Wu’s are all you need...
  16. R

Any recommendations on books for nighttime sky photography?

Anything by Jennifer Wu, she's the true master of the art.
  17. R

New Canon Lenses-Made In Taiwan

It's kind of like trying to get people to differentiate between loose and lose, or fewer and less, or the proper use of apostrophes (not apostrophe's). But I've always thought the Canon nomenclature was obtuse and confusing, especially their different lens categories.
  18. R

Is Canon Refurbished Worth the Price?

Since I basically live in my 4x4 RV most of the time, I really don't want anything but the camera, and even the box requires finding a place for storage. I really appreciate the feedback and am ready to place my order for a refurbished 6DM2 - it will suit me well, as I'm just a hobbyist. Thanks...
  19. R

Cat Fight!

It's even better at 2x speed. Nice job.
  20. R

Is Canon Refurbished Worth the Price?

EOS 6D Mark II Body Refurbished $1,099.20 was $1,599.20 EOS 5D Mark IV Body Refurbished $2,699.20 was $2,799.20 Quite a diff, but I would get the 5D if I could. I think the bad reviews have really impacted the price of the 6DM2, as it was around 2k when it came out, IIRC. This works in my...