Search results

1. miketcool

Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L USM video features

If I can rotate the barrel, switch to linear manual focusing, or adjust the bokeh; I’ll be excited as a cinema shooter. Cine Primes are manual only, so the ability to take some features from them and put them into a lightweight AF design is exciting. AI focusing systems are coming and will help...
  2. miketcool

The RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z won’t be the last RF PowerZoom lens

Is Canon going to release a viewfinder system as well to complete this modular ENG setup for EOS R?
  3. miketcool

Canon Patent Application: Handheld tilt-shift

Eye-Control Tilt-Shift would be outrageous!
  4. miketcool

Is it finally happening? Canon RF 50mm f/1.4 USM [CR1]

I doubt many of the EF lenses will appreciate in value outside of desirable lengths and favorable glass. The astronomical prices FD lenses are fetching are because cinematographers are rehousing them for cinema use. They’re essentially low cost aspherical cine lenses that once rebuilt can fetch...
  5. miketcool

Canon shows off more PowerShot V concepts

Honestly, Canon needs to do the very Japanese thing and reach out to Apple. I\'m not saying that they should co-design a device, but they should 100% develop a VR/AR camera that works with Apple\'s workflow. It would be very niche, but it would jump the pipeline into making content for the next...
  6. miketcool

New type of teleconverter coming from Canon alongside a Supertelephoto zoom

Fourth will be a drop-in filter.
  7. miketcool

It’s here, Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM officially announced

I think everyone is missing that the EOS R1 will have built-in filters…
  8. miketcool

Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

Many of us would prefer that Canon release these updates after extensive testing guaranteeing that the sensor or logic board won't get cooked. It would be detrimental if they had released these features earlier and caused the R5's to be less reliable.
  9. miketcool

A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

Canon is not the only company struggling with this. Hundreds of political leaders with no economic understanding made poor decisions over the past two years that will impact the next 5-10 in many unforeseen ways. I have turned my glass away from idyllic countryside scenes and focused on the...
  10. miketcool

ICYMI: Here’s a patent for the upcoming Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L VR Lens

With a boost in processing power and throughput, DPAF would be able to focus each lens in unison with higher precision. I would imagine the data from a stereoscopic lens would also help with machine learning important tracking points.
  11. miketcool

ICYMI: Here’s a patent for the upcoming Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L VR Lens

It wouldn’t be a 3D lens but a stereoscopic lens. Each half of the sensor would have a slightly different perspective. On a screen, each half would display a 2D image. Inside of a VR display you wear, each eye would see each perspective making the image appear “real”. It would be used for VR...
  12. miketcool

Gordon Laing from CameraLabs gives his first reviews of the new Canon gear, including the EOS R3

By keeping the weight of this lens so close to the other compact primes, I can successfully swap lenses on my Ronin-S without rebalancing the setup. These are set to compete against DJI as they continue to move into cameras.
  13. miketcool

Shedding some light on CFexpress firmware and camera compatibility

This happened with my 256gb Transcend card after a previous update. Did a warranty swap on it. This is why I carry cards from different brands as backup.
  14. miketcool

The specifications for the upcoming Nikon Z 9 leak out ahead of the official announcement

The first professional digital camera I used was a Nikon D2X. The thing that made it potent was how quickly you could change settings while shooting. The controls were placed perfectly and the dual finger/thumb wheels really set the camera apart. Good on Nikon!
  15. miketcool

Behind the scenes at Canon’s CPS facility at the Tokyo Olympics

Borrowing and testing lenses is one of the big perks as a CPS Gold member.
  16. miketcool

The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

That’s where this additional layer of computing comes into play. Not only is the R3 finding the points based on a series of algorithms, it’s also interpreting where those points are moving in three dimensional space, interpreting how to stay locked on as the points change (really curious how...
  17. miketcool

Canon states themselves that the R5 AF is accurate down to -6.0EV and the R6 -6.5EV. In bright or average conditions, AF and Face/Eye detect are more accurate on the R5. At the lower end of the range, the R6 has a small advantage.
  18. miketcool

I agree with you about our ability to tell the differences when it comes to noise. The pixel peepers are an obnoxious bunch that don’t understand what photography is or how to take a good photograph to begin with. Sharpness and noise really have to be extreme to effect a properly set up...