Search results

1. L

Mirror lock or live view for stills ?

Sadly not. IIRC the 5D mark IV has the shortest shutter delay of any current Canon and they probably didn't want to put in anything which could complicate that. I hope to see the feature put into all bodies from now on. Hopefully Canon will listen if we make enough noise about it. This is...
  2. L

Store multiple custom WB in 5D2?

Registering custom user settings to C1, 2 and 3 should do it. I think the white balance compensation for AWB doesn't save, but that could be my own misuse of it. Manual white balance does save to each C1/2/3 setting. Just remember that C1/2/3 will save everything else about how the camera is...
  3. L

Lens decision: Canon 100mm 2.8 L or non L Macro vs Sigma 85mm 1.4 ex

Nice. The 85 f1.8 is a seriously great lens. That and the similar 100 f2 are crazily good for their price and especially considering how old they are. No wonder Canon doesn't bother to update them.
  4. L

Does anyone still love their old gear?

The 5D mark II will be 10 years old this year. Even in film SLR terms, that's pretty old. The Canon A cameras were made obsolete in less than that. Funnily enough my film camera is newer.
  5. L

Mirror lock or live view for stills ?

Live view is definitely better if you would be using mirror lockup anyway. It means you'll get to see the exact framing and exposure on top of having 0 vibration. The only reason to use mirror lockup but not live view is if you have your back to the sun and there's too much glare on the screen...
  6. L

Yes except you're grossly misquoting me. We're not talking about future generations of camera sensor ten years down the line here, we're talking about a guy trying to capture the most important days of his family's life. Don't be so flippant. Different things are more or less important for...
  7. L

Other people have already covered how AF matters more than sharpness, especially when it comes to the old Sigmas which have really bad AF and especially compared to the Canon 85 1.8 which has really great AF. But I gotta also stress this part here. When you're photographing your family. Your...
  8. L

Does anyone still love their old gear?

My 5D mark II still does everything I need it to. The mark III and S R aren't enough of an overall improvement for me to feel the money is worth spending. If/when the mark II breaks I'll probably get a mark IV, but I'd really like it to last until the mark V is out and upgrade to that. I want...
  9. L

I think you need to work out what your priorities are. The only lens with a medium-telephoto length, close focusing and an aperture faster than f/2.8 is the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, and that lens... kinda sucks. It's pretty soft and at those close focus distances it's got a lot of ghosting until...
  10. L

Does Picture Style affect how image looks on the rear screen?

My understanding is Faithful is the colour the sensor sees with no adjustments made to compensate for any tint or bias the sensor might have. Neutral takes into account the sensor's different sensitivities and adjusts the colour to try to match what the human eye sees. I think the idea is...
  11. L

Headed to Japan: gear/locations/advice needed

That all sounds good. I'm a prime girl so I'm fighting my urge to yell at you to ditch all the zooms, but that's just me. The focal lengths are all right. None of the stuff you're leaving behind is stuff I would take, myself. Maybe the 100mm or 70-200 if you were seeing more of the open...
  12. L

Does Picture Style affect how image looks on the rear screen?

I've found the closest to a raw file on 5D screens is the Neutral style with sharpness pushed right down to 0 and both contrast and saturation lowered by 1 from their default. Lightroom's neutral profile doesn't have quite as much contrast or colour as Canon's in-camera one, so reducing the...
  13. L

Canon EF 50 Prime Ongoing Dire Need Confirmed

I think the reason they're keeping both the 85mm 1.2 and the 85mm 1.4 IS is because those 1.2 lenses can't really be improved without totally changing how they look. So they make 1.4 IS versions instead. That way the people who just want optical quality can get the 1.4 IS version and the people...
  14. L

5DSR II?

That implies that the AA filter has some kind of intelligence behind it. It's not making up a transition between pixels, it's just dispersing the light less accurately. Sensors with and without AA filters may technically have the same pixel count but the usable resolution you get out of them is...
  15. L

10/10 reference, I'll have to remember that one.
  16. L

As an event reporter, I find 50mm pretty useless. 35mm is what I go to. Most of my contemporary use either a 24-70, 16-35, 24-105, 35mm or 28mm. I don't think I know anyone who uses a 50mm as their main lens. The thing Canon and other companies push 50mm for most these days seems to be as a...
  17. L

DPReview Interview With Canon Execs, \

I don't think there's anything surprising that a much cheaper much smaller much less powerful beginner's camera can't keep up with the much more expensive much more powerful professional one. If the M50 could do video as well as the top DSLRs then it would be in the same price range, not one...
  18. L

Headed to Japan: gear/locations/advice needed

The Fujifilm X100 I've used so much in Kyoto is an f/2 lens without stabilisation and it's been enough. I don't have the Canon 35mm IS but I have to imagine it would be better. With my Sigma 35mm I didn't use f/1.4 very much, which is why I'll be leaving it at home next time. Obviously you want...
  19. L

My Sigma 35mm has been rock solid despite the negative press. I assume the 50mm is the same kind of deal, if so it's definitely a good option. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm not sure why the 35mm and 50mm have such a bad rap. My 35 misses maybe one out of every thirty shots or so, which is about the...
  20. L

Beter if it's not an L. There needs to be a non-L 50mm other than the super cheap and cheesy STM f/1.8. The 35mm f/2 IS is a great lens and didn't need to be an L, no reason the 50mm f/1.4 IS couldn't also be a regular model. All adding the L would do is put the price up.