Search results

1. E

Latest sales data shows Canon maintains big market share lead in Japan for the year

Actually, part of Nikon's problem was the other way around: they spent too much money developing mirrorless trying to keep pace with Sony. Sony paid for its R&D by profits from semi-conductors, as was their plan considering they are the global giants in the sector, THEN re-align divisions so...
  2. E

Latest sales data shows Canon maintains big market share lead in Japan for the year

Yeah, I hear you, it's just a sad thought. I'm not a Nikon shooter, but thinking of them selling off their camera line and seeing it either being dismantled, or gutted by some Chinese firm is still a sad thought. :(
  3. E

No it's not. The restructured for a number of reasons, which also saw them curtail their logistical reach for cameras. It's not a disjunct, as noted in the consolidated financials. It's part of their mid-term management plan regarding monodzukuri. They note the structure shift in imaging...
  4. E

What do you think the odds are, of Nikon being in the position Pentax is now, in 20 years? One moment I think 'no way, not Nikon'. Ten minutes later I think 'yeah, they're screwed'. lol 15 years ago they had the very same problems they still have today. A decade and a half later, a...
  5. E

??? I'm confused. Sparx, who was a bigger shareholder than Fidelity, along with Fidelity, didn't push for the stock swap. Along with Watanuki they did NOT support the swap, but agreed to the tender offer, which of course Sparx and Fidelity did push for (it was a good deal). Urano pushed...
  6. E

That's not at all what happened in Nikon. Shipment volume is down double digits for Nikon for the last two years, primarily because of the restructuring. It had nothing to do with mount and eye AF, obviously. This year's sales value for Nikon was off 28.5%, which would be after any possible...
  7. E

Patent: Canon in-body image stabilization

Yeah, as it certainly worked well for Sony's mirrorless move and a good number of other such ventures. One problem investors have with the approach though? It usually doesn't work. I don't work in finance, but I need to stay informed of business finance (a part anyway) so when it comes to...
  8. E

Canon announces the Canon IVY CLIQ+ (Zoemini S) and Canon IVY CLIQ (Zoemini C) instant camera printers

No merit? Only if you didn't read, or understand the detailed post I wrote. Again, surreal...
  9. E

Canon announces the Canon IVY CLIQ+ (Zoemini S) and Canon IVY CLIQ (Zoemini C) instant camera printers

You probably should have actually read a couple articles, instead of just spending 12 seconds on Google then pretending you know what's going on. It's above PSAR of course, hence saying there wasn't an analyst impact is just mathematically false. PSAR, literally, determines trend and impact on...
  10. E

College kids could be huge here. The standard 7% of gross ad spend can easily be dismissed here in return for branding and lifecycle tracking and conversions. Whatever CRM paradigm Canon uses, they're drooling over the data alone, much less the potential product up-sales as customers...
  11. E

LOL Every analyst and his brother wrote an article about Canon's stock today. This was one of the easiest product development and launch decisions in the history of photography. Largest and most profitable camera maker on planet goes after sector with most units moved, on the planet. Yeah...
  12. E

Patent: Canon in-body image stabilization

Yeah, Canon is probably finding 'breathing room' between the patents difficult, and potentially very expensive. There's numerous ways Canon could get access to Olympus' technology. Cheaper iteration development based on Olympus' patent in a contractual form, simply licensing it, IP rights...
  13. E

Canon Inc. full year 2018 financial results, and thoughts on the industry and future goals

Hey, look at that, the company no longer exists. It's almost as if people have predicted this... Cameras, TVs and mobile are now one company, with Sony deciding to remain the holding company, for now anyway. Mobile was the worst preforming, by far, followed by cameras that Sony is showing in...
  14. E

Canon Inc. full year 2018 financial results, and thoughts on the industry and future goals

??? IP&S isn't the one that decides if IP&S is going to be sold by Sony. " it does not look like the imaging business is going anywhere" Ah, yeah it does, as detailed by the actions of Sony's CEO and the plan he laid out at investor's day.
  15. E

That seems to be one of the points of debate. If those internal, rosey, early numbers are spot on, why is the CEO telling investors straight out on investor days the new company isn't part of Sony's future? How are they, the new company, claiming digital camera profits (just one revenue stream...
  16. E

Yeah sorry, that was a typo made while finishing up at work. Trying to find the Nikkei projections for 2019 I had. For some reason I didn't bookmark it. They have Sony at 3.8 million units moved in the digital camera market, worldwide, at no profit. This is Nikkei at the time of the...
  17. E

That would be the one. As you can see early on in the article he links right to a Bloomberg article detailing the issue I brought (as I was saying, this has been in the news for years now and I'm not sure why so many reviewers seem to be completely unaware)...
  18. E

It was announced in 2015, and the spin-off was completed in 2018. It's not a 'potential' it's already completed, that's what IP&S is. "Semicon" two lines down is Sony Semiconductor Solutions, another spin-off announced in October of 2015 and since completed. You're looking at the holding...
  19. E

Pretty much. Photographers, while generally good people, are honestly really bad as a group when it comes to following the business news. Sony's Alpha line, which so many people rightfully cheer, wasn't paid for by what was at the time Sony's camera division. They couldn't come close to...